Carte sejour

• 2 months later...
[quote user="Clair"]I have been given the contact details of a translator by the préfecture and I am waiting for my call to be returned.

I have contacted another sworn translator and the costs are more reasonable than expected.[/quote]

After a hiatus (on our part), I have now completed the form and dropped it off at the mairie this afternoon. We went through all the paperwork to ensure nothing had been missed and it will go to the préfecture tonight.

The translation came to €35 per document + registered post costs both ways.

I asked the assitant at the mairie to photocopy the originals and the translations of the marriage and adoption certificates and for the photocopies to be certified by them. The French equivalent of these is free and the French administration has some difficulty understanding that UK citizens have to pay for theirs.

Now we wait...

How to combat a préfecture clerk saying NON...

Write to the préfect pointing out the refusal and ask him/her to officially confirm whether or not he has personally sanctioned this internal policy which restricts your rights under Art XXX of the code de séjour.  Mention that you will be forwarding the response to the Interior Minister for comment and action.

I am fairly confident that there won't be any problem about issuing the card for Mr Clair.

I have spoken to the Lot préfecture on a couple of occasions about it and again this afternoon to ascertain they would accept certified photocopies instead of originals.

I also know they issued a 10-year card to a Belgian national a few months ago.

The maire's assistant said to expect it within 3 to 4 weeks.

But I understand this might not be the case everywhere.

• 1 month later...
Quick update about Mr Clair's carte de séjour:

The friendly assistant at the mairie had grown concerned by the delay and has called the préfecture to find out why it was taking so long.

Apparently, requests from non-EU nationals take precedence over requests from EU nationals, but she has just called me to confirm the Mr Clair's his file has been received and processed and that his carte de séjour is being printed.

• 2 weeks later...