I've seen my first mosquito

Kitty

I've just seen and heard the first mosquito of this year.  I wondered whether this hot weather would bring them out.

What I would like to know is the time lifecycle of mosquitos in France?  I've searched on the internet and can find out HOW they breed and HOW they transmit disease etc.  What I need to know is WHEN they breed etc.  When do I have to put the mosquito nets up and when can I take them down?

My OH is a magnet for them, he got bitten at Christmas, got the little bug**r back though, squashing him against the bedroom wall, I told him that it was because he had the log burner going at about 1000 degrees +, and it was encouraging them to breed early. He didn't believe me, he got bit again in February as well. He says if it is warm and moist they will come out and hone in on him.

We have put our nets up already, just as a precaution, we have been told it is something to do with your blood groups, I don't get bitten at all, but the OH they use him for target practice.

Looking forward to the summer of antihistamin tablets, sprays, candles etc. 

Wifey

[quote user="wifey"]

My OH is a magnet for them, he got bitten at Christmas, got the little bug**r back though, squashing him against the bedroom wall, I told him that it was because he had the log burner going at about 1000 degrees +, [/quote]

[B]  That's my girl....next time the little bug**r thinks about lighting that log burner maybe he'll think better of it[:-))]

I was recently told if you eat Bananas regularly you won't get bitten so much.  Something to do with the potassium and mosquitos not liking it too much.

I did also discover a neat little toy whilst in Australia recently - http://www.mosquitoclick.com/ 

It works by sending a tiny electrical charge through the bite, preventing the build up of histamine and thus stopping the itch.  I was dubious but went to the pharmacy and bought one.  You know what - it REALLY works.  I was amazed.  Strongly recommend one to anyone who gets bitten.  Funny thing is if you look at 'where to buy' it's all in Australia.  The things are made in Italy though........

This is where to get them from UK, they're called 'Zanza Click' http://www.auravita.com/products/AURA/ECOB10008.asp?refid=300&adid=ECOB10008&kwid=23546

I'll be trying the nana thing this year too..........

OMG...............dont tell me they`re back already.I suffered terrible last year, ended up at the hospital twice with a bad reaction to the bites. Cost me a fortune in sprays & tablets etc and the only thing i found to work was "skin so soft" body spray from Avon.. It really does work but you`ve got to spray everytime you go outside. 

RicandJo and Peter G - thanks for that. I've ordered one, even though the postage is nearly as much as the product.  It's worth having a go.  Anything at getting relief from the bites.

GG - poor you, having a reaction bad enough for hospital.  I think that mosquitos are the worse thing about living near the coast, where water courses are always sluggish.

I would still love to know about the timing of the mosquito lifecycle.  When do the little blighters breed?  Do they die in the winter?  etc etc Perhaps I should have posted in wildlife?

I'm frequently bitten by mosquitos, the bites swell and itch badly. A great remedy is Calundula TM (Teinture Mère) which can be bought in pharmacies. I dab it on as soon as I feel the bite reacting and within 10 minutes there's no more swelling or itching ! I never go anywhere without it !

[quote user="jlb"]I'm frequently bitten by mosquitos, the bites swell and itch badly. A great remedy is Calundula TM (Teinture Mère) which can be bought in pharmacies. I dab it on as soon as I feel the bite reacting and within 10 minutes there's no more swelling or itching ! I never go anywhere without it ![/quote]

I'm going to have a go at buying it.  Thanks jlb.

Mossies do bite me but the things which really have a field day with me are the little ba*****s that appear around August time and "eat" me until the really cold weather comes. We have had two flies in the house over the last couple of days so they are waking up now.....stand by !!!!!!!!

[quote user="jlb"]I'm frequently bitten by mosquitos, the bites swell and itch badly. A great remedy is Calundula TM (Teinture Mère) which can be bought in pharmacies. I dab it on as soon as I feel the bite reacting and within 10 minutes there's no more swelling or itching ! I never go anywhere without it ![/quote]

I've bought a bottle of Calendula officinalis (Teinture Mere) from the pharmacy as it was only 4 euros.  Anything to relief the pain of mosquito bites.  But what is it exactly?  There is no explanation in or on the box!

Calendula is the latin name for the family of marigolds. I react badly to mosquito bites too, and the two tips I would give is first, cover up if you go out in the evenings, and second (sounds horrible) I prick the spot with a pin, squeeze out the poison and disinfect. I also use a spray called Mousticologne, which is soothing.

[quote user="Patf"]Calendula is the latin name for the family of marigolds. I react badly to mosquito bites too, and the two tips I would give is first, cover up if you go out in the evenings, and second (sounds horrible) I prick the spot with a pin, squeeze out the poison and disinfect. I also use a spray called Mousticologne, which is soothing.[/quote]

Thanks Patf for the lead.  It prompted me to do some research and it seems that marigolds are used for a lot of herbal remedies. It is used to treat conjunctivitis, eczema, gastritis, minor burns, sun burns, warts, sprains, wounds, cramps, coughs, snake bites - the list is endless.  I had no idea.  What an amazing product.

About 5 mins ago, my son complained about a bruise on his knee so I squirted some Calendula and he felt better straight away!

The pin idea seems a bit drastic.  Surely it makes the bite worse?

Hells bells!!!

Haven't yet got bitten in France - Vienne too inland?

Bad enough here in Wiltshire with horses nearby - horsefly, now that's a real bite !

Seriously, I can't imagine mossies do anything more than cause itchy bumps (no malaria I assume), bumps can be counteracted with antihistermines,  I expect natural & localised stuff is better.   Calomine lotion also soothes.

tegwini

Tegwini   ...I recall as a lad in my late teens I went to Italy ...Ravenna ...it must have been about 1957/8 and I believe that Italy had only just managed to rid itself of Malaria in the region ....so  its somthing  to be watched  closely  malaria in the past was not confined to Africa ....it took effort to rid Europe of it ....What we have had once ...we could have again with the climate changes we are experiencing ......I know what you mean about horse flies ...but we have the "Blanford " fly in Dorset ..now there is a nasty Bu....er  !

Citronnella (sp) oil.

We have friends who lived in Lux now in Dakar (Bangladesh), they swear by it. Use it like perfume, your whole house will reek but the mossies dont like it at all.

Its the basic oil used in the candles, bug-o-buckets, sprays etc and you can get it in France  - Huile Essentielle de Citronnelle made by laboratoires C F Melun, comes in 50ml bottles.