Hot water bottles, don't forget them!

mint

We have had a delightful American couple at our house. We had not left wood for them (I could not find anybody to sell it to me) so they set out to get it themselves... they describe their hunt...

"Scene today at the Super U in St. Ciers-Sur-Gironde Blaye - Susan (not remembering how to say WOOD in Frech - nor fire, for that matter) is asking, (and unabashedly charading on her knees pretending to light a fire) as best she can, about something that might relate to wood or fire from whomever she can find - finally, she asks (I ask) a manager who can't speak English who asks a checkout woman who speaks some - no, they have none - might she know where (whatever that word for wood is) we might find some? Oh, pitettre (sp) la bah (sp) in the nursery/building supplies place - ah, quel chance! A woman inside directs us to a young man who leads us out back to where piles of that wonderful wooden stuff was stacked - we loaded up the boot (I believe you call it) and paid our 15 E and happily headed down the road in search of moules (I'll never forget that word)!"

it's cold (but beautiful) in the Jura too. Make my own microwavable (!) hot botties with barley sewn in fleece or heavy cotton - got them in lots of shapes and sizes - including long thin ones for warapping around sore neck, knees, wrists - add some lavender if you want the aromatherapy effect too|!

I love shopping(spending Dosh) its my second nature...But I also try to get through to November in shorts.
That,s why I came to France 5 years ago.Though I have to say, the jury is still out on if it was a wise move..Job wise..being a registered artisan and still £25,000 down on UK earnings...But hey, baccy and wine is cheaper...Plus no mortgage

16500 Confolens Pads..

I recall getting sunburnt 2 years ago in November whilst strimming some wild area on our land.

Even had drinks outside on Xmas day....But, as we were living in 2 static mobile homes at the time whilst our 2 dwellings were being worked on, it sank to minus 16 in February...(Bloody cold)...But hey...we now live in 1 of those houses and it is warm (must get some wood in for winter)... 

[quote user="Pads"]Are you in the south ? any where near Carcassonne ?  We are normaly still in shorts in nov in this house too .......[/quote]

Pads, I am closer to Carcassonne than Confolens is (I am also far from Confolens) - and my outside thermometer, first thing this morning, said 6 degrees only....

So you do need a hot water bottle at night, even though you might just want to wear shorts in the middle of the afternoon, at 20-24 degrees.

It's hard work trying to figure out what to wear, if you are going to be away from home all day. Layers layers layers.

5-element .... I was trying to be clever and save staurt the price of a hot water bottle .... by getting him to have a dog ......... see my thread in animal rescue " Free Frankie one"

Having a place in Pradellas I know how cold it can be at night and hot during the day ....... But a dog never turns cold just when you need it [;-)]

I see your closer .... not thinking of getting a dog are you ? [I][Www]

s%

Yes, 5-e, that is what still surprises me about the weather here.  There is just such a huge range between daytime temperatures and night-time temperatures.

We lived in Wales for over 20 years and, although the weather was often cold and wet, it was more or less as you would expect over a 24-hour period.

Went shopping in Lidl today, about 50 kms away.  Left the house all wrapped up in a cotton jumper and vest.  Left Lidl an hour later sweltering!

Started painted our garden shed this morning in fleece jumber, long warm trousers and socks and shoes and finished about 1pm, practically stripped to the bare essentials.!

I do like the element of surprise, however.  Makes life more unpredictable and therefore more interesting!

The weather is just gorgeous at the moment, mornings down to about 5 but up to 20+ during the day, clear blue skies with virtually no wind. 

I was cutting the hedge today and it got too hot to work in so had to move to the north side of the hedge - looks a bit odd at the moment until I finish it tomorrow [:$]

[quote user="Pads"]

[/quote]

Pads, having just finally managed to release into the wild, the 2 hedgehogs I fostered for a month, I think I will just stick with my one and only ginger she-cat - she is a princess and doesn't like to share, was most put out when I was using her discarded saucer with leftover food, to give to the hedgehogs.

Good luck with the dog though (I have nothing against dogs, you understand!)

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Yes, 5-e, that is what still surprises me about the weather here.  There is just such a huge range between daytime temperatures and night-time temperatures.

We lived in Wales for over 20 years and, although the weather was often cold and wet, it was more or less as you would expect over a 24-hour period.

[/quote]

I lived (for too long) in N.W. England where I swear the temperature range was between 8-16 degrees, all year around. You never could wear either sandals/shorts,  or snow-boots/down jackets. Just fleece, wellies, and waterproof - most of the time. 

I do like getting proper seasons here, even if it is 2 different ones in one day!

[quote user="5-element"][quote user="Pads"]

[/quote]

Pads, having just finally managed to release into the wild, the 2 hedgehogs I fostered for a month, I think I will just stick with my one and only ginger she-cat - she is a princess and doesn't like to share, was most put out when I was using her discarded saucer with leftover food, to give to the hedgehogs.

Good luck with the dog though (I have nothing against dogs, you understand!)

[/quote]

Thanks [:)]

But will you ask among your friends and neighbours, and if you hear about any one wanting a dog tell them about SPA Carcassonne and the dog from Pradelles ?[kiss]