Mini Census

Dog

Pleasant attractive young lady visited the kennel tonight . To fill in that census type thingy.

She seemed uneasy and she said she had been attacked by dogs twice already this evening and she showed me her hand and unfortunately not her thigh where the rottweiler in the house up the road bit her.

She was a hard nut - and refused antiseptics. Her hand was hardening up - not a good sign. We finished the form, quite why or what they are going to do with the info I cannot think.

Why do they want to know what my house is built out of, how old it is - oldest multiple choice is pre 1949, how the house is heated, do you have a garage, do you have parking, do you have a car,how many sq. meters is your house, how many rooms. Plus who stays there.

I do hope she gets her hand and hip treated - I warned her of all the other dangerous dogs in the next hamlet.

She was so proud of her English and slowly regained it as we spoke, she said she enjoyed it at school and went back to study more last year to get a better job.

[quote user="Dog"]Why do they want to know what my house is built out of, how old it is - oldest multiple choice is pre 1949, how the house is heated, do you have a garage, do you have parking, do you have a car,how many sq. meters is your house, how many rooms. Plus who stays there.[/quote]

Not quite correct...

The form does not ask what the dwelling is built out of, but what type of property it is, i.e. a house, a flat, a hotel room, a room in someone else's house...

The form does not ask who stays there, but who lives there.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Dog"]Why do they want to know what my house is built out of, how old it is - oldest multiple choice is pre 1949, how the house is heated, do you have a garage, do you have parking, do you have a car,how many sq. meters is your house, how many rooms. Plus who stays there.[/quote]
Not quite correct...
The form does not ask what the dwelling is built out of, but what type of property it is, i.e. a house, a flat, a hotel room, a room in someone else's house...

[/quote]

Darn nang my bloomin' francais sont tres mal.

She didn't speak globish.

She did ask if we had a lift???

[quote user="Clair"][Not quite correct...

[/quote]

Just a small correction

In Scotland people stay in a house or live in a house but more common to say stay so perhaps Dog is Scottish and is therefore perfectly correct  

[quote user="Dog"]Darn nang my bloomin' francais sont tres mal.

She did ask if we had a lift???[/quote]

Yes, that's because the same form is used for all buildings, including blocks of flats and converted properties.

There have been a few tragic fires and accidents in old shared properties in Paris and there is (will be?) legislation about maintenance and updating. I suppose that's one way of finding out how many old places will need upgrading.

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]In Scotland people stay in a house or live in a house but more common to say stay so perhaps Dog is Scottish and is therefore perfectly correct  [/quote]

Quite possibly so, but I wouldn't want other potential "census-ees" to get the wrong idea [:)].

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Dog"]Darn nang my bloomin' francais sont tres mal.
She did ask if we had a lift???[/quote]
Yes, that's because the same form is used for all buildings, including blocks of flats and converted properties.
There have been a few tragic fires and accidents in old shared properties in Paris and there is (will be?) legislation about maintenance and updating. I suppose that's one way of finding out how many old places will need upgrading.
[/quote]

I ain't seen Paris Hilton down this neck of the woods.

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Boiling a frog"]In Scotland people stay in a house or live in a house but more common to say stay so perhaps Dog is Scottish and is therefore perfectly correct  [/quote]
Quite possibly so, but I wouldn't want other potential "census-ees" to get the wrong idea [:)].
[/quote]

I'll give you her home address she gave me hers. She had beautiful eyes.

[quote user="ErnieY"]Thank you Clair, I'll know not to chase them away as suspected Mormons or Jehova's witnesses if they come knocking then [:D]

[/quote]

If the one that visited me calls get some drinks and nibbles in. Having made sure the Mrs is out, Good Luck.

It's a dangerous job!!

I visited an elderly woman in the village yesterday who, on a recce a couple of weeks ago, had appeared to be a bit doolally.

Note to self: keep it simple, no big words, no jokes.

After climbing up the rickety wooden stairs to the second floor, I got seated in the musty-smelling kitchen and we started with the census forms. She was happy enough for me to ask the questions and put crosses in the relevant boxes.

When I got to the part that asks about the level of education and diplomas, without any warning of any kind, she suddenly flipped.

The red mist descended over her and she started screaming and shouting at me that she didn't have any diplomas, that I was being nosey, indiscreet, vulgar, rude and the rest... She screamed at me to get out of her house, so I gathered my things and walked down the (still rickety) stairs rather sharpish...[Www]

I headed to the mairie to hand over my other forms and mentioned that I had not been able to get her signature.

It was only then that I was told that she had once called the water company to complain about something or other and that when the two guys had turned up, she had threatened them with a knife!![:-))]

More pieces of the puzzle have fallen into place today, as I have been told she is a wealthy widow who, by all accounts, is getting more and more mentally unstable.

Her relatives have tried to have put under guardianship for her own safety, but social services refused to do so, as she managed to convince them a friend in the village was looking after her and her affairs. The friend in question is fleecing her, but nobody is able to intervene.

The locals expect she'll end up in a psychiatric ward and the friend will still be looking after her affairs...

The very pretty young lady that visited us today was most impressed by my qualifications.

She had a list of french engineering categories but all different to mine but she carefully wrote them down on the form anyway.

Why they are needed when someone has retired, I have no idea, unless I could be called on in the event of a major crisis.

Sarkos car making funny noises etc............................[:D]

I have a funny feeling that I am going to slip through the net on this one, living as I do on the industrial outskirts of my village (where no-one else would be foolish enough to) nobody from the commune can be ar5sed to deliver anything including la factrice, most of my mail ends up at Airbus, gets returned to sender, resent etc etc until they finally noify me.

Even the commune od job man winges when he comes to read the water meter.

Of course there are no difficulties finding me when it comes to selling calenders [Www]

J.R.

O.B.Eng. (O.B.E not got!)

• 2 weeks later...
We had the Census form sent to England by the Mairie.  It was addressed to my husband which is a bit of a cheek since I own the house!!!! [:)]

There was nothing on it about level of education or anything personal that I can remember - it was all about the house.

Are there different census forms in different areas?

Pix

[quote user="Pixie Toadstool"]We had the Census form sent to England by the Mairie.  It was addressed to my husband which is a bit of a cheek since I own the house!!!! [:)]

There was nothing on it about level of education or anything personal that I can remember - it was all about the house.

Are there different census forms in different areas?

Pix[/quote]

There is a form about the property and an individual form to be completed by each of the persons living at the property permanently.

If yours, as I suspect, is a holiday home (résidence secondaire), there is no permanent resident there, therefore no individual form to complete.

An afterthought about the name and the house owner...

The census agents do not know who owns what. They have no access to any list of householders.

In the last month, I have only been able to find out who lives where in the village by making a note of the name on the letterbox, if I find one ( a letterbox or a name!)