Happy Mothers Day

sueyh

Thank you for that kind thought. Two of my four kids have phoned so far today and I have received cards from all the kids and a Huge parcel from one of my daughter-in-laws containing masses of bits and pieces including a large box of Terrys All Gold chocs, lovely.

My annual call for anybody in East London to nip along to the Upminster Cremacemetery, find my mum's final resting place and give the stake through her heart a couple of whacks to make sure that she NEVER comes back to haunt this world.

People with caring and kind Mums are very fortunate, not all of us had that benefit.

[quote user="mooky"]Tony, what a sad and horrid thing to state in public, whatever the reasons.[/quote]

But as far as I know Mooky you didn't know her - and as for horrid, I've literally got the scars from what she did to me from when she hit me with a red hot poker, broke various bones in my body, kicked me to unconcious etc., so please be sad if you want to be but as you don't know the circumstances of my life, please don't judge me and tell me I'm being horrid - you want horrid, I'll tell you chapter and verse of years of abuse.

But as I said, for those close to their mothers and children, good on you, long may it last.

Tony, How awful for you,  No, not everyone would have the ideal loving Mother and it is so sad when some people miss out on that. My Mother died when I was three years old and I have no memories of her but I was raised by a Grandmother who I adored but she passed away when I was sixteen and I was really on my own from there onwards. I raised four children with no Mother to turn to and I envied other women who could talk to their Mums with any problems they had with a gowing family but we survive. 

I lost my mum just a month ago. She was a wonderful woman, loving, intelligent, open-minded - a modern woman before her time. She was 93. And I still have my dad who is 96. I am so very fortunate, I know. She hated mother's day and thought it was far too commercial. She just loved it when I brought her big bouquets of wild flowers.

I've not encouraged my children to keep Mother's Day.  Yet another commercial event!  I told them when they were quite young that if they didn't appreciate me, then I didn't want them to feel obliged to do anything about Mother's Day.  If they should wish to show they care about their mother (or father) then it would mean far more to us to receive a gesture of some kind at any other time of the year, rather than on Mother's Day, which is just plain artificial.  A gift given because someone as seen something they think someone would appreciate it at some randome moment has far more meaning.  I've just spent a pleasant couple of hours with my 18 year old son - an aperitif, dinner, a chat over a glass of wine and now we have gone our own ways for the rest of the evening.  My husband is at work, my daughter is working in France and I doubt if she even knows it is Mother's Day.  She phoned for a chat this morning and we are going over to see her in a couple of weeks.  The fact that my son and I had a pleasant couple of hours had nothing to do with Mother's Day - it is just what we do some Sunday evenings.  When my mother was alive, I took her out for a meal from time to time, but I have to admit, Mother's Day was a chore - going out for a meal in a crowded restaurant or pub is not pleasant, and buying gifts for the sake of it doesn't have a meaning.  But it was good to take my mother out for a meal at other times of the year and know that she enjoyed it.  Well, I hope you enjoyed Mother's Day and other days too.