Anyone for walking to Compostella autumn next year?

mint

Gemonimo (from this forum, of course) and I are planning to do the Compostella pilgrimage in the autumn of next year.

Ideally, we would like at least a couple more people to go with us.  If anyone is interested, could they please PM or email?

It will be a great adventure, so only the intrepid need apply!!!!!!![:P]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Why not walk from the Compopstella place backwards, or even better go west east along the high route of the Pyreznees? But the tent would be awfully small and you would need to be fit. Full of healthy Germans though![/quote]

Wooly, you wouldn't care to join us, would you?

You mean I would have to walk a million miles for one of your smiles my Luveeeeee? And all that nasty sleeping in tents, very promiscuous. What about the duck's morals? She was very properly brought up, I'll have you know. She really was quite mature before she .......... wait for it............. broke her duck[6][6][6][6][:D][:D]

I'm truly really envious Sweets!

Go for it girl!

Something I have always wanted to: more so since I saw Paco Peña  in  a documentary about the pilgrimage from the Spanish end, walking across the central plains from Galcia and stopping every night for Flameco and a party and cooking on a large fire.

The nearest I have been, is to eat a wonderful traditional Spanish recipe, Pilgrim's Lamb.

Apparently, the Spanish pilgrims would drive herds of lamb sheep and goats as the walked: and eat some along the way.

One day.........................................

[blink]

You're quite right, Jen.  We won't hog all the fun to ourselves coz we're just not like that, are we?

BTW, I have read that next year, 2010, the Feast of St Jacques (25 July) falls on a Sunday and therefore it is going to be what is called a "Jubilee Year" where many more pilgrims will be doing the Route.

The reason for the increase in numbers is that, on a Jubilee Year, you get a Plenary Indulgence!  How about that?  We might have blistered feet but we won't be going to that Hot Place where you'll get blisters all over![:P]

Well, Wooly, the Spanish leg is 460 miles or thereabouts, depends on which route we opt for.

As Jen says, you don't have to do it all (if you're too infirm [6]).  Why not just come over the Pyrenees with us and then, if you asked nicely, we'll let you go home?[:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Why not just come over the Pyrenees with us and then, if you asked nicely, we'll let you go home?[:D]

[/quote]

Anyone who makes it over the Pyrenees will find the rest of it a breeze...............

Unless they are Basques of course.

And if we ask you extra nicely, Wooly, you might just carry our bags[Www]

We have all this year to do our research and plan the trip but it would be just wonderful to have the odd person from the Forum to join us for a while (as long as they bring a halfway decent Bordeaux and a better than average saucisson with them) because it will be enriching for everyone.

And Sweets, I dug around in my boxes of maps and found a great book of walks around St. Jean Pied de Port - walks of different levels of difficulty and length.  I'll see if I can get a copy of it for you.

It depends what route you'e planning to do, S17. There are several. If it's the one that goes through the Gers I would like to join you for a day or two, near Montesquiou and Pouylebon.

Our last house was on the pilgrim route and several grroups came past most days, and we got chatting to some of them. They might stop to ask the way, or wanted a drink of water, or where to stay the night. It can take months!

Sweet 17, depending where you start from, you could also pass very very close to me. If you did, I would like to join you for a day... be sure to let interested people know exactly what route you will be taking, where from, etc... Although, I suspect you will not come anywhere near the route by me, it is out of your way, sadly.

A friend of mine did the walk from Arles to Compostela, alone, it took her three months, and she reckoned it totally changed her life. It was her way of acknowledging, and maybe celebrating,  her second divorce. She was 50 years old then.

What a lovely lot of people you all are!  Here I am, off the forum for one evening and a morning and, when I come back, your responses are all here to cheer Jen and me on.

Gluey, thanks for the encouragement and BTW I am pleased to see you back here posting on the forum.  Now I have someone to have a decent argument with though I am keeping well off the subject of the present British government or the financial crisis.  If I did, my comments will be so uncharitable and nasty that I think it'll need more than a mere pilgrimage to save me from eternal flames and damnation.

Patf and 5-e, as Jen has pointed out, we haven't yet chosen a route and that will be something we'll be looking into.

Anton, we don't mind cheating a little so maybe we'll go on our bicycles but the car is a no-no.  I mean, that's kinda cheeky, don't you think?

Jen, I have considered bikes but then we'll have the damned things to look after and we can hardly take them to wherever we're going to sleep and chain ourselves to them, can we?  Imagine, if the bikes or even just bits of them got nicked, we'll be in the m**** and we won't have a Plan B in place!

But, I'm open to suggestions, of course.  Otherwise, we'll persuade Wooly to come and saddle him up with panniers and things and see how long he lasts?

And, have you noticed he's gone awfully quiet?  

I feel exhausted just reading this thread.  I truly admire you both and please keep us all updated with your plans.  Unfortunately, I live much too far away to join you  but I sincerely hope some members will join in if only for a day or so at a time. 

Lovely message and very kind thoughts indeed, valB.  Many thanks from Jen and Me!

Hey, Jen & Me now an item or what?  Like the Queen saying "My husband and I"!LOL!

Sorry, Jen, I promise I won't speak for you in future![:P]