Cost of ramonnage

mint

[quote user="Richard"]Ok, just booked my ramoneur (sp).

He's going to charge €60 to clean it next Tuesday.

Do they make a lot of mess?

[/quote]

Richard, spelling spot on.

And, no, mine didn't make much mess.

BTW, I did say that I had 2 chimneys for cleaning:  one is a stainless steel external flue where he only needed to unscrew the bottom and clean it all out with his brushes.  He did say we should make a hole in this bottom "cap" to allow fluids to drain away.

The other is the flue from my bois-charbon oven and needed taking apart and cleaning.  He also hoovered out the insides of the oven and the insides of the poêle.

This ramoneur was recommended to me by a friend and I was so falling over myself with relief when his wife said he would come that I'd have paid him twice the amount had he demanded it.  This is against a background of trying to get hold of a ramoneur since last August.

Me, I'm such a conventional, boring, rule-observer that I would have had anxious nights if my chimneys hadn't been swept and I'd been issued with the certificate.  Sad, isn't it? 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Richard"]Ok, just booked my ramoneur (sp).

He's going to charge €60 to clean it next Tuesday.

Do they make a lot of mess?

[/quote]

Richard, spelling spot on.

And, no, mine didn't make much mess.

BTW, I did say that I had 2 chimneys for cleaning:  one is a stainless steel external flue where he only needed to unscrew the bottom and clean it all out with his brushes.  He did say we should make a hole in this bottom "cap" to allow fluids to drain away.

The other is the flue from my bois-charbon oven and needed taking apart and cleaning.  He also hoovered out the insides of the oven and the insides of the poêle.

This ramoneur was recommended to me by a friend and I was so falling over myself with relief when his wife said he would come that I'd have paid him twice the amount had he demanded it.  This is against a background of trying to get hold of a ramoneur since last August.

Me, I'm such a conventional, boring, rule-observer that I would have had anxious nights if my chimneys hadn't been swept and I'd been issued with the certificate.  Sad, isn't it? 

[/quote]

Not sad at all, but you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as you miss one of these

minor rules, you'll get hammered for it while those who ignore most, go

about their business without any ramifications....

Plus, it means you sleep at night.

[quote user="Richard"]
Not sad at all, but you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as you miss one of these minor rules, you'll get hammered for it while those who ignore most, go about their business without any ramifications....

Plus, it means you sleep at night.
[/quote]

Did you say sleep..............aaaeeeeeeeee, no, no, no!  Please see the Insomniacs Club thread![:D]

[quote user="buelligan"]Hmmm....I think you'll find that if you want your Tubes swept, Fee Waybill is your man........where's the cloakroom?[:$][/quote]

I think I could pay the Fee but would pay the extra for Warren Zevon.

Not at all.

Had a new wood burner installed when I moved in 4 years back, so it would have been sparkling then.

All done though, no dirt anywhere. Going to light it up now....

Edit: Did you mean clean out the insert part before he got here? If so, yes I did, even used the vacuum cleaner on it. Was spotless when he arrived. As for the flue....

Wish I'd waited til I put the fire out first though. [;-)]

I had the chimneys here done a few weeks ago.

A few days of fruitlessly searching for someone to do it had turned up no results, but one day I was driving through the village and saw a bloke with a van unpacking all the stuff and going into someons house. I stopped and asked for his card and we made an appoinment there and then for the next day.

€130 got me 3 chimneys swept. 2 were very easy straight conduits from inserts in the gites and the third is the hellish device in my appartment, installed by the previous owner. with several elbow-bends in the chimney run. Sweeping this involves the poor chap climbing onto the roof and doing the main length from the top downwards, then climbing entirely into the fire (its quite big) and getting a face-full as he cleans the lower section and hoovers it all out. There wasnt a spot of dirt left behind him, either.

€130 well spent, I would say.