Can I Sell My Hen's Eggs from My Own House?

Rich1972

I've got a glut of free-range eggs and I want to sell a few from a little box at the end of the lane. It would hopefully be about a dozen a-day, if that. I just need to get rid of them. I've searched everywhere online and I can't find anything about whether I'm even allowed to do this in France. Do I have to register? What are the legalities re. making a couple of euro a-day and selling something without a certificate. I was talking to my French builder and he said just get on with it and what people don't know doesn't hurt them (but I am concerned about getting a knock at the door and being confronted with an official because I've done something wrong).

Anyone advise me? [:)]

Rich [:D]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure there will be some reason why you cannot without registering and filling out forms in triplicate.

Why not give them to neighbours and you will probably be pleasantly surprised with what you'll get in return apart from friendship.

The short answer is NO not without being registered under EEC Council Regulation(EC) No.1234/2007 .

Rules and regulations apply throughout the EU regarding the production and sale of eggs. I would listen to your builder and if you get a knock it will be from the French equivalent of the (UK) Defra Egg Marketing Inspector who will issue you with a warning notice. That would be the sensible time to stop selling eggs and give them to your neighbours.

You could of course become registered as an egg producer, then you would have to comply with all the regulations including grading (weight & quality) and packing of your eggs.

[quote user="chris pp"]

Would it be legal? - No.

Does everyone do it? - Yes

Chris

[/quote]

Would it be legal? - No

Which is precisely what I said.

Does everyone do it? - Yes

Everyone does not sell their eggs from their gate. I suspect most people give the excess away to friends and neighbours.

Oh dear.[blink]

OK, obviously not everyone sells excess eggs, not everyone keeps hens, but none the less it is common practise for people to sell excess eggs and all manner of other things "au black" and frankly no one is interested if it's pocket money. It's the Countryside for goodness sake, it's what people do, the old bloke that flogs veg round his hamlet etc etc. and so it goes on...

.....BUT of course it isn't strictly within the letter of the law even if the Gendarmes buy some.[:D]

Chris

[quote user="woolybanana"]Is there a garden gate market for hens' teeth or is that banned too?[/quote]

Code de Poulet Loi 1983 p.3772.4.8

Hen's teeth are only allowed to be pulled by specially qualified avian veterinarian orthodontists on the third weekend in June. The pulled teeth must be polished and packaged in 1 kilo boxes and are only to be marketed at the rear gate of a private house between the hours of 0200 and 0222.

Cockerel teeth are still banned under the Gum Law of 1892 - penalty for contravention two years hard labour.

Duck teeth are not covered by any laws and can be traded openly.

Isnt it sad that France by her attitude of  regulation for everything that  her  people want to do ,. fear of getting into trouble has to exist when a person wants to sell a home produced egg !  

Put a table with excess produce outside your gate and no doubt  some local envious  busy body would make a point of dobbing you in ..Its one thing I dislike about France ...But then I have had the cops round checking on who uses the house when I am not there ...Thats the dark side  France we have to put up with I suppose  . 

The original question was "Can I Sell My Hen's Eggs from My Own House?"

What's the chances of selling from someone elses house or from a rented or mortgaged property?

Surely the eggs could be egg-smuggled into UK where they would get asylum.

[quote user="Frederick"]

Isnt it sad that France by her attitude of  regulation for everything that  her  people want to do ,. fear of getting into trouble has to exist when a person wants to sell a home produced egg !  

[/quote]

Yes it is very sad that everything must be regulated. It's not just France though, the regulations apply right throughout the EU and they are religiously applied in the UK, more so than France. There is some sense in the regulations, for instance you would want to know that if you buy a free range or barn egg in a supermarket they are as described and not from some back street trader who buys in battery eggs and puts them into fancy boxes. The problem is where to draw the line. Do you say everyone who sells eggs must be registered or just those who sell large quantities. If you sell a dozen from your back door and the money comes in handy why not increase it to 2 dozen or 200 dozen without being registered?

Take a chance, sell a few. The worst that can happen is an inspector will call and tell you to register or stop selling eggs. Ignore that and you will end up with a fine, it's not the end of the world!

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="Frederick"]

[/quote]

Yes it is very sad that everything must be regulated. It's not just France though, the regulations apply right throughout the EU and they are religiously applied in the UK, more so than France. There is some sense in the regulations, for instance you would want to know that if you buy a free range or barn egg in a supermarket they are as described and not from some back street trader who buys in battery eggs and puts them into fancy boxes. The problem is where to draw the line. Do you say everyone who sells eggs must be registered or just those who sell large quantities. If you sell a dozen from your back door and the money comes in handy why not increase it to 2 dozen or 200 dozen without being registered?

Take a chance, sell a few. The worst that can happen is an inspector will call and tell you to register or stop selling eggs. Ignore that and you will end up with a fine, it's not the end of the world!

[/quote]

I am so glad that I live in a UK County full of villages that when passing through I will find produce on offer  from peoples gardens on display on little tables outside cottages. ...And be  trusted to leave the money in a box after I have taken what I want. in one part of the great EU where regulations are  not religiously applied  thank god !   A village near me has a church where the people who live  next door put out rhubarb on a table on  the green in front of the church for people to help themselves and leave money  for the church funds ,..  I expect in France the vicar would be arrested along with the rhubarb grower for falling foul of some state directive or other !

[quote user="Frederick"]

I am so glad that I live in a UK County full of villages that when passing through I will find produce on offer  from peoples gardens on display on little tables outside cottages. ...And be  trusted to leave the money in a box after I have taken what I want. in one part of the great EU where regulations are  not religiously applied  thank god !   A village near me has a church where the people who live  next door put out rhubarb on a table on  the green in front of the church for people to help themselves and leave money  for the church funds ,..  I expect in France the vicar would be arrested along with the rhubarb grower for falling foul of some state directive or other !

[/quote]

Talk about going off topic! The OP simply asked if there were any regulations regarding the sale of eggs and that was answered. The discussion is about a regulated animal food product which a private person wants to sell for personal gain. Suddenly we are talking about a registered charity selling fruit and veg. and how much better it is in the UK than France with it's cute village cottages all selling produce from little tables outside the gate??

May I point out that the regulations regarding eggs are EXACTLY the same in the UK as they are in France or any other EU country. I am not aware of any regulations regarding fruit & veg.

Let me know where the church is and I'll send along the rhubarb inspector.

[quote user="Jay"]Talk about going off topic! The OP simply asked if there were any regulations regarding the sale of eggs and that was answered. The discussion is about a regulated animal food product which a private person wants to sell for personal gain. Suddenly we are talking about a registered charity selling fruit and veg. and how much better it is in the UK than France with it's cute village cottages all selling produce from little tables outside the gate??

May I point out that the regulations regarding eggs are EXACTLY the same in the UK as they are in France or any other EU country. I am not aware of any regulations regarding fruit & veg.

Let me know where the church is and I'll send along the rhubarb inspector.[/quote]

Where is the 'Big Yawn' Smilie when you need it........................[8-)]

She was standing in the kitchen, preparing our usual

Soft-boiled eggs and toast for breakfast, wearing only

The 'T' shirt that she normally slept in.

As I walked in, almost awake, she turned to me and said

Softly," You've got to make love to me this very moment!"

My eyes lit up and I thought, "I am either still dreaming

Or this is going to be my lucky day!"

Not wanting to lose the moment, I embraced her and then

Gave it my all; right there on the kitchen, table.

Afterwards she said, "Thanks," and returned to the stove,

Her T-shirt still around her neck.

Happy, but a little puzzled, I asked, "What was that all about?"

She explained, "The egg timer's broken."

One for you to think about then.

A chicken and an egg are laying in bed.

The chicken is stretched back smoking a cigarette with a very satisfied

smile across his face. The egg is frowning and looking extremely

frustrated.

The egg says, "Guess we answered that question."

Many thanks for the numerous replies!

I have given some to my neighbour (although many around here have free-range hens). I was just hoping to pass some off to passing commuters going into the local town. I'm not sure whether to risk it or not. I remember buying eggs from the local villages around where I used to live in Devon and didn't think anything of it. I guess when you're in another country you feel more nervous about trying to do the right thing.

I will let you know!

(since my initial opening post my egg production has been reduced somewhat after a hen was killed in the lane! and another was murdered in its sleep by what my neighbour thinks it was a balette (but I think it was one of his semi-feral cats!)) [:D]