If Harriet Harman was French....

[quote user="NormanH"]Shouldn't this thread be entitled 'if Harriet Harman were French'?

i.e a subjunctive to show something that is imagined, as opposed to a second conditional which would tale a simple past.

[/quote]

You is correct Norman, innit!

[:D][:D]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="NormanH"]Shouldn't this thread be entitled 'if Harriet Harman were French'?

i.e a subjunctive to show something that is imagined, as opposed to a second conditional which would tale a simple past.

[/quote]

You is correct Norman, innit!

[:D][:D]

[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"].....under the weather and definitely not quite up to the mark![:(][/quote]

You're not alone, I'm sub-jointed to a bl**dy hot-water bottle wedged onto my lower back trying to relieve some of the pain. [:(]

I don't think ice is the solution! In my case, when I have a real back pain , only heat can slightly help, but in fact, only slightly...

If the muscles are tense, the cold will not help relax them.

Bugs, I sympathise, it is indeed very painful......

Are you taking any painkillers/ anti inflamatory/ tablets to help relax the muscles?

Courage! [kiss]

I've been told to get a small Taiwanese therapist to walk up and down my back but despite searching the sub-index of the phone book I have no chance of finding one tonight. [:)]

I'll have to make do with the paracetamol.

Note: these peas are subzero [:-))]

Shame you are so far away - I know somebody who is very good with needles! Hope you get better soon.

Heat for me anytime. I have made a long, wide bag, with sub-divisions, with barley- which I microwave and surrounds my lower back with gentle but powerful heat - works wonders. (barley = orge if you want to buy some - very cheap to make with good heavy cotton).

I think that I know where she sticks the needle [;-)]

Being vertically challenged I am usually spared from back trouble but I did have one real bad bout here in France, I had to crawl across the floor and pull myself up the round columb holding up the bottom floor to which the phone was fixed to call Samu, then crawl to find a broom to use as a crutch.

The doctor arrived, gave me a shot of something very strong and arranged for a nurse to come at 11 the next morning to do the same, I could not get up the stairs so had to kip on a settee on the rez de chaussée, I should explain that the building was a bar hotel, the ground floor is open plan and was/is my workshop, the front door opens onto the trottoir and the settee was bang in the middle of this large open space resembling Steptoes yard.

Knowing that I could not get up to answer the door I left it on the latch for the nurse with a sign saying Entrez S.V.P. shortly before 11 am I painfully rolled onto my front, pushed my trousers and pants down and exposed my derriere. There was a knock at the door, I shouted "Entrez!" and in walked the facteur with a colis in his arms [:-))]

I have never seen anyone beat such a hasty retreat, he must have sneaked up the next day to push the slip throug the letterbox asking me to pick up the colis from La Poste, I am convinced that they neither believed nor understood my explanation despite my obvious pain.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Knowing that I could not get up to answer the door I left it on the latch for the nurse with a sign saying Entrez S.V.P. shortly before 11 am I painfully rolled onto my front, pushed my trousers and pants down and exposed my derriere. There was a knock at the door, I shouted "Entrez!" and in walked the facteur with a colis in his arms [:-))]

[/quote]

Luckily for you the colis was too large for the letter box on view.

John

LOL   Chancer, your story made me giggle    !!

Once, in the summer, I was just out of the shower, and crossed the house in the nude to go and get my clothes, that I had left in the bedroom.

When I reached the lounge, I saw the postman knocking on the door..there was a curtain, but a light one [blink]

I got to the ground, hid behind the settee, and waited til he went away, which seemed ages to me !! [blink]

But Chancer, why did you expose your fessier before she came in ?? [:)]

Cos it took me about 15 minutes of agony to turn on my back and I like to be ready, the facteur was not impressed with my muffled shout of "je suis pret" [:D]

I didnt know whether it was going to be a male of female infirmier(e) of course.