Farming around Ymonville area

DerekJ

When we take the drive down to the Lot from Calais we usually take the Rouen route.  On the N154, just before joining the  A10, around the Ymonville area, there is a lot of large scale agriculture. There are big silos and long lengths of conveyor belts running alongside the N154.

Does anyone know what is actually being farmed there? We've always wondered and have tried to look into the conveyor belts as we drive through but we've never been able to identify anything.

Thanks for the replies.

Chancer,  Betteraves?  I think something like that is a possibility.

Hoddy, Quarrying?  Not so sure about that. I really can't relate their positioning to any obvious quarry.  The land is perfectly flat for miles and miles... no signs of any hills so there would need to be an almighty great hole on the ground somewhere.  The conveyor belts run for long distances alongside the N154 and fields which are definitely intensively farmed with various silos all around.

[quote user="Âme"]Take a look on google maps satellite view

looks like there are a couple of quarries north of Ymonville

[/quote]

You're right. It does look like that from the aerial view... thanks.

Hoddy, my apologies, looks like you could be right.  I'm over again in about 2 weeks time but will be going through that area at night. I'll be coming back about a week after that in daylight though, so I'll try having another look.

No need to apologize Derek. I know I'm right. I've been doing that route since before the quarry opened. I assumed that all the aggregate for the new roads they've built in the last few years came from it.

Maybe you could help me. Many years ago, somewhere on that road, in a village that I can't now remember the name of, there was a heavenly smell emanating from one of the factories. Now, each time we travel I put the window down as we go through, but I've never managed to catch it again or identify the factory. Any ideas ?

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]

Maybe you could help me. Many years ago, somewhere on that road, in a village that I can't now remember the name of, there was a heavenly smell emanating from one of the factories. Now, each time we travel I put the window down as we go through, but I've never managed to catch it again or identify the factory. Any ideas ?

Hoddy[/quote]

No ideas at the moment and I'm not particularly aware of smelling anything. I'll have a "sniff" when we go through next time and report back if I find anything.[:)]

[quote user="Hoddy"]

Hoddy[/quote]

No ideas at the moment and I'm not particularly aware of smelling anything. I'll have a "sniff" when we go through next time and report back if I find anything.[:)]

Sorry, double post... can a mod delete duplicate please.

• 3 weeks later...
I said I'd do a follow up once I'd driven through there again in daylight. Got back to the UK last night and drove through the Ymonville area around lunchtime.  All sorts of quarry type work going on linked to the conveyor belts (although no sign of any of the belts actually moving). I think I was getting a better view of the quarry working as I was higher up in van this time.

Hi, we know that route well and yep, it is a quarry - they are doing a load of road rehashing in the area as well, but the conveyor belt is travelling the stone down to the crushing plant from the quarrying, so we understand.