Starting out in France

Mac

After a long time thinking about it,we are finally taking the plunge and hoping to move to France later this year. However the exitement is tinged with not a little fear. My french is reasonable for day to day activities but my husbands is virtually non-existant . Does anyone have suggestions about how to organise the practicalities of the move e.g. reconnecting utilities,sorting out getting registered for tax (both income tax and local taxes)Can you recommend a good step by step guide (I have the usuall-living and working in France/Buying a House in France ect) We expect that we will be moving to the north dordogne region maybe in the Perigueux/Brantome area. Any useful contact or organisations in that area would be welcome.Have you foung that officials are helpful and understanding of your faltering efforts at their language?Any advice is gratefully recieved.

Presumably, you are EU nationals currently resident outside the EU, having posted on this section?

Main hurdle to overcome if you are early retirees is health care, now that the French have cracked down on foreign early retirees affiliating to their health system.

If not retirees, the main hurdle is earning a living in France, which is next to impossible if you are not fluent in French and even then a challenge with French unemployment in the rural areas Brits like to live, very high.

Thanks for that. Spot the deliberate mistake! I'm very new to posting on sites like this and I've put it in the wrong area!!! If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have noticed!I will now try to post in the correct area. Thanks.

There's currently a thread which outlines things like health cover etc which you might have read already.

We have found our local AVF helpful; maybe there's one near where you hope to move to. It's an organisation which helps anyone to settle in when moving to a new town; Acceuil Villes Francaises. Most members in ours are French, with some English and a few Dutch, and not all that many speak English. All meetings are in French, but I expect you and your OH would soon get to know people. What we found invaluable is the breadth of clubs run by members who volunteer. There are French conversation groups (beginners and more advanced), Spanish, all sorts of craft clubs, bridge, other games, visits to places of interest, and walking groups. Anyone in ours would help with queries, although we'd done all the setting up for utilities etc before we joined. If you move, look out for a group; try the local tourist office or mairie. Good luck. EDIT - I forgot to say welcome to the forum! [:D]

If you buy a house through a french immobilier you might find that they will arrange the utilities for you.

For other things, prepare what you want to say, using a dictionary. In rural areas most french people don't speak english.

It's a good idea of yours to find a french-speaking contact near where you live, if possible.. We were introduced to a bilingual man soon after arriving and he was very helpful at first.

Don't expect to do everything quickly - take your time and learn as you go along. Health arrangements are a priority - before taxes etc.

Hi Mac,

We bought a house about 4 years ago and have been renovating it since, but only staying over for 4-5 months at a time.

The estate agent we bought from was a real source of help in the whole process, she arranged all the contacts with the utility companies, tax authorities, and even assisted us with opening a bank account, I don't know if this is usual, but it came as a very pleasant surprise to us.............and this was all done on her fixed fee for the house price purchase, she is based in The Limousin so will be of no use to you but we wish you the same good luck.

Just a little note on expenses.................since we bought the house we have noticed a sharp rise in the cost of living in France, so just a note of caution, it doesn't seem to be a cheap way of living anymore, but I'm sure you will be clued up on that by now.

Wishing you all the best.

Mel.

Mac, there is one piece of advice given out on this and other similar forums over the years that stands head and shoulders above anything else and that is rent before you buy. That way if things do not work out in your chosen area and you want to move to another area of France, or indeed another country, then it is much easier to do so. Property purchase costs in France are much higher than the UK, averaging anywhere between ten and fifteen per cent of the purchase price and generally speaking it takes much longer to sell a property in France than the UK.

It is unlikely the French property market will recover anytime soon and therefore you would probably be in a better position to buy a property once you have lived in a particular area for a while.

Will whole heartedly agree with Sprogster.DO NOT give up any assets in uk-it is a non return valve coming here.Rent do not buy property.If we had done that,what a different way things would have panned out rather than the way it has.Even following the uk news and the problems,we never had them in the suburbs of a large northern town where we lived before.Love lots of things here,but getting older ,isnt something to welcome in the rurales

Think hard Maude

Sounds as if you have had a bad experience Maude ??

Life is certainly an experience wherever you live and we know friends that have moved to France and then decided to sell and move back to the uk after 5 years living there, they have had a lovely 5 years but due to other commitments are returning, no non-return valve there ??

We have had various moves in the UK so always think there are possibilities for changes of mind wherever you live.

But do think about the current markets, exchange rates, costs of living etc before you decide on your move.

Best wishes Mel

At least those moving now are prepared for some of the worst exchange rates in history (I can remember the days of 7 francs to the £).  Those of us who moved when things were better have had some shock.  The rate was around 1.50 when I moved and thus I budgeted for 1.30 as an average - looks a bit optimistic now so I should have remembered my younger days!

Not everybody can afford a foot in both camps but you can always sell up if you wish - just leave some slack in your budgeting as you take a big hit on fees etc in this country and house price fluctuations (up and down) seem to be less noticable here than in the UK.  However, friends of mine who recently moved back to England did OK as their house was worth more in sterling terms than when they bought, and houses are now cheaper in Britain than when they moved.  It's all swings and roundabouts, just remember your boy scount motto and be prepared.