Totally flummoxed!

Does anyone learn maths or numeracy these days?

I had always been under the the impression that une caissiére was a job that needed a diplome, BEP or BAC+ but today when I tendered a €20 note for purchases of €11.40 the cashier apologised for all the change, dont worry said I and gave her an additional €2 coin.

She was totally flummoxed and didn't know what to do, I hinted that she could give me €10.40 in change but her eyes just glazed over, I leaned over and confirmed that she did indeed have €10 notes in the till (which incidentally freaked her out a bit) and patiently explained again that she could give me one of those plus 40cts for the change.

She finally said "I am not really sure that that it is right" and had to ask a senior cashier for confirmation of how much change she should give for €22 tendered for items totalling €11.40.

She was however friendly and charming and I should confirm that the conversation was in French.

Actually, it's similar here. The ados won't let you out of their carpark except with cash. Strange because commune de Meaux think it's theirs, and should be free. But, hey ho, got to let them keep the drog dealers in the style to which they are accustomed[:D].

If your women won't take plastic, try a check.

Around here pupils have just returned after their Easter break. They now have a 4-day week, so no school Wednesday. There are umpteen holidays coming up in May - Mayday, VE Day, Ascension etc - then at the end of June they are off until September. And let's not get onto strikes -by both students and teachers. Is it any wonder that your cashier had problems?

Not surprised.Seen the calculator in use at the local shop for minus amounts of under 10 euros!As for making up or rounding up cash payments-definately a culture challenge here

More used to counting huitres!!!!Maude