The latest on the route of the high voltage cable through Normandy

mint

The protest signs have been there so long now that most have collapsed or faded.

The definitive route map is here, there is also a rather strange anti-THT site here. Judie is on the local council referred to in the second news item (dated 11 March), so she knows more about it than you will find on the Internet.

[quote user="woolybanana"]You goin north, then?  There will be hundreds of protest signs all along the route when it is decided, just keep an eye out for them.[/quote]

There are already Wooly and the route is decided.

[quote user="Will"]Money probably has a bearing, but the delay is mainly as a result of having to carry out a full epidemiological (health) study. 
[/quote]

Will, I did think that they couldn't "prove" that illnesses such as leukaemia had any connection with these cables.

Having said that I know that a few years ago, the Institute of Chartered Surveyors in the UK published some guidelines for their members advising that the presence of such cables and their possible health implications be always highlighted in their reports.

In fact, we know some people with a house near the Praesilli National Park in West Wales that has a large electric cable overhead and, sure enough, they have been unable to sell this house (could be other factors as well, of course, such as that it is not a particularly nice house and the owners think it's worth a small fortune!)

Must be a constant worry for people whose properties are going to be affected if the project goes ahead.  Nothing like a blighted property on which you have spent most of your savings to keep you awake at night?

[quote user="woolybanana"]I didnt do all of Normandy the last few days but all I saw were signs against a bitumin plant and there were loads of those.[/quote]

Basse-Normandie at least is full of protest signs - THT, EPR, rubbish transfer stations, landfill, quarries, the list goes on. Though in most cases the protests seem to be less about building these things than the backhanders some maires are alleged to be pocketing.

Thank you, Judie, I have looked at both your links.

And then, my interest being aroused, I looked at some studies linking high voltage cables with miscarriage, ischaemic heart disease, migraines and depression.

The studies I looked at are mainly pretty small-scale and conducted by means of questionnaires.  As with some of these things, the anecdotal evidence and the so-called "hard science" do not produce corresponding results.

I still think it's pretty dire to be living near one of these cables and I shouldn't like to be living in a beautiful property and then have some big organisation come along and install a cable near me.

In a way, it doesn't matter if the harmful effects are proven or not:  it's enough that people think it's potentially harmful.  After all, emotions aren't meant to be logical, are they?

[quote user="Gardian"]

[quote user="woolybanana"]You goin north, then?  There will be hundreds of protest signs all along the route [/quote]

Not against the possible arrival of SW17, shurely?

[/quote]

You sure know how to make a girl feel welcome, Gardian!