A question on beliefs during illness or dealing with pain in the French person

I am doing research as a Student Nurse. In order to provide better care to our patients, we have to learn the beliefs and customs of them. "I want to know how the FRENCH PERSON views illness. Is it a curse? Is it karma? Is it in the hands of their god? How they express pain...do they internalize so they don't seem weak? Things we need to know when we care for these people. Things we need to know to give us as care takers, insight into their illness and healing process."

[quote user="rebeccadavette"]I am doing research as a Student Nurse. In order to provide better care to our patients, we have to learn the beliefs and customs of them. [/quote]

Why?

[quote user="rebeccadavette"] "I want to know how the FRENCH PERSON views

illness. [/quote]

Why?

[quote user="rebeccadavette"] Is it a curse? [/quote]

No.

[quote user="rebeccadavette"] Is it karma? [/quote]

No.

[quote user="rebeccadavette"] Is it in the hands of their god? [/quote]

Who knows.

[quote user="rebeccadavette"]

How they express pain...do they internalize so they don't seem weak? [/quote]

Ouch - Some, Probably.

[quote user="rebeccadavette"]

Things we need to know when we care for these people. [/quote]

OK

[quote user="rebeccadavette"]Things we need to

know to give us as care takers, insight into their illness and healing

process."[/quote]

Cool but naive.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="rebeccadavette"]"I want to know how the FRENCH PERSON views illness"[/quote]I think you have come to the wrong place [;-)]

[/quote]

Why - we have several French people who post here ......

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="rebeccadavette"]I am doing research as a Student Nurse. In order to provide better care to our patients, we have to learn the beliefs and customs of them. [/quote]

[quote user="rebeccadavette"] "I want to know how the FRENCH PERSON views illness. [/quote]

You would do better to address the question in terms of the different religious groups in France, belief has far more a bearing on it than custom.

[quote user="rebeccadavette"]  [/quote]

[quote user="rebeccadavette"] [/quote]

[quote user="rebeccadavette"][/quote]

[quote user="rebeccadavette"] How they express pain...do they internalize so they don't seem weak? [/quote]

Ouch - Some, Probably.

Only if they don't speak French, for the native speakers its "AIE!"

[quote user="rebeccadavette"]  [/quote]

[quote user="rebeccadavette"][/quote]

[/quote]

I think that it is the English delicate view of suppositories that is strange, pills have a bit more of a journey to become effective than a suppository since the bowel is more effective in absorbing medication so I understand.I vaguely recall this method was routine in Maternity wards in UK sometime ago. I believe Lady Di discovered the benefits of colonic irrigation followed by a coffee with cream enema administered in this manner.  She credited colonics and the regular use of cleansing enemas for her radiant complexion and silken hair. She declared  I don't worry so much about what I eat. I know all the excess food will be washed away, along with the poisons that cause my terrible headaches. My migraines are caused by food allergies, and I haven't had one since I started the treatments."  Perhaps you should try it Wooly and report back[6] 

a more interesting question would be 'why, as they are proven to be medically safer (do not affect stomach lining) and more effective (direct hit) - have the Brits got a phobia re/ suppositaries'? ???  [:D]

The French are a very diverse community, and each region has its own traditions and 'old wives tales', remedies, sometimes a good mix of old pagan and catholic traditions - and of course many immigrant groups, mainly from North Africa (ex colonies) who are mainly Muslims. So it is very difficult to answer your question. I'd say that generally in modern society, the idea of illness being bad karma or punishment, and forms of shamanism, do not exist. Although in rural areas, many of the older generation will often prefer to see a 'rebouteux' (ie often somebody unqualified but who has a feel, or gift, and will help 'put back' bad backs and joints, etc, or a chiropractor (qualified). bonne chance.

[quote user="Bugsy"]From God to Suppositories in ten posts - cool. .[/quote]

I always thought that it was the place you kept your valuables.

Seriously and to the OP, you need to find a French forum, in French and ask these questions. Whilst there are one or two French people on this forum its really for expats and as such I don't think we are capable of answering such 'deep' questions that you have asked.

One thing does baffle me about the French healthcare system, whenever I see my doctor and lately my surgeon they always ask "How are you". I often feel like saying "absolutely fantastic but I am bored and thought I might pop in for a chat". The other one my doctor says when I say something like "my leg hurts" is "why?", well if I knew I wouldn't need a blinking doctor would I.

LOL - due to  a complication I had to have a GP visit a few days after giving birth - my Doctor (who I got with very well) walked in and said, "well, whats happened to you ?" Well as I'm your patient who has been attending your ante natal clinic for the past 6 months , whats your best guess ????

I can't believe I'm reading about big pills and unnatural irrigation, I thought my sanity had returned. I guess some patients need a bit more of an effort to get the job done?

[IMG]http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/FagusSylvatica/worstJobs.jpg[/IMG]

Just out of curiosity, this irrigation thing...once the hose is up there and the tap's on, how does the water get out?