Double check as they probably want a French Certified translator to do

the work.  We found this the hard way by taking a document to a

local computer/office type business that advertises they do

translations.  However, they are not certified and our documents

were not accepted.  We then found a "certified" translator in

Avignon who did the work with stamp and all that to the satisfaction of

all involved.

Just FYI

[quote user="johnv"]not sure if this is the right place to post .. My Notaire expects me to get a 'proper' translation of this document, signed by the translator with his/her qualifications  .. any takers?[/quote]

Assuming you are needing a translation from French to English then you won't find a certified translator in France. I wonder what the Notaire wants - if you are the buyer, then he may be concerned that you do not understand the compromis - in which case just find a translator that you (and the Notaire) are happy with. If you are a seller, have you written your own compromis, and does Me Notaire want to understand it!!??

BTW the Notaire has a legal responsibility to ensure that you understand the transaction.

[quote user="nicktrollope"][quote user="johnv"]not sure if this is the right place to post .. My Notaire expects me to get a 'proper' translation of this document, signed by the translator with his/her qualifications  .. any takers?[/quote]

Assuming you are needing a translation from French to English then you won't find a certified translator in France. I wonder what the Notaire wants - if you are the buyer, then he may be concerned that you do not understand the compromis - in which case just find a translator that you (and the Notaire) are happy with. If you are a seller, have you written your own compromis, and does Me Notaire want to understand it!!??

BTW the Notaire has a legal responsibility to ensure that you understand the transaction.

[/quote]

That surely is untrue. My prefecture required I obtained a certified translation of a serbian document into French and I was able to find a certified translator in France. Why would English be any different?

Nick - I'm not sure why you say that.  Once we knew we had to get

a France certified translator - to translate a document from French to

English, we simply asked at our local Mairie's office and we were given

a list.  She is certified to translate from French to English and

English to French.  She is in Avignon.

Like hastobe I am also confused as to why you require a certified translation as I was never asked to get one and I don't know anybody who was. We were not even asked to get our birth and marriage certificates translated which everyone told us we did.

Having said that I would get the document translated if you can't read French properly although they are all rather standard unless you have asked for added bits and pieces. There is a English translation of a standard one in our FAQ section.

I agree with the others here who are wondering why you would HAVE to

translate a Compromis de Vente.  Our translation requirements

involved legal issues, nothing to do with the purchase of our

house.  They didn't seem to care whether we understood the

documents or not.

Notaires have a duty of care to ensure that people know the meaning of documents they are signing. If you are buying through an agent, then most notaires are satisfied that the agent will have explained everything to you. In fact some agents use pre-printed bilingual forms, though many prefer to keep everything in French and provide a verbal translation. If you are buying other than through an agent then I can understand that the notaire might be concerned.

Maybe this particular notaire just wants to cover himself? Or is just being awkward? (some are). Do ask him/her if a certified translation is required. I would imagine not, but it's up to the notaire concerned. If translations are demanded at this stage, then it looks as if you could well be expected to ensure a translator is present when the acte de vente is signed.

"Notaires have a duty of care to ensure that people know the meaning of documents they are signing"

Exactly right Will! The Notaires that we use all emphasise this point, and always stop at frequent intervals during the reading of the Compromis to make sure that the Buyer understands what has just been read and is happy with it - the ones we use all speak good English anyway so it works very well, but I can imagine some wanting someone helping the buyers with translations so that they are covered and can prove that the Buyer did understand everything. In actual fact the duty of care is the same if it is a French Buyer and the Notaire will stop at intervals and check with them as well.

"Assuming you are needing a translation from French to English then you won't find a certified translator in France"

Nick Trollope, I don't know where you got this from, because it is utterly wrong.

thank you for all your replies. I did not go through an agent, so I guess that this is why he requires a certified translator.  I have found Surrey Translation Bureau, not cheap, but they will certify it.

[quote user="Lori"]Nick - I'm not sure why you say that.  Once we knew we had to get

a France certified translator - to translate a document from French to

English, we simply asked at our local Mairie's office and we were given

a list.  She is certified to translate from French to English and

English to French.  She is in Avignon.

[/quote]

My understanding of a "certified translator" is one who translates into French and is "authorised" by the Chambre de Commerce. The basic rule of translation is that it is translated into the natural language of the translator (my mother was a translator/interperator for the EEC for many years), so who would "certify" a serbian, in France?

I am probably being particularly pedantic (typically). I still wonder, like others, why the OP's Notaire requires a certified translator and who certified a translation company in Sussex (assuming that they are).

My understanding of a "certified translator" is one who translates into French and is "authorised" by the Chambre de Commerce. The basic rule of translation is that it is translated into the natural language of the translator (my mother was a translator/interperator for the EEC for many years), so who would "certify" a serbian, in France?

Then you are wrong again Nick, and please do let us all know where the basic rule of translation can be found so that we can all read it.

[quote user="nicktrollope"] [quote user="Lori"]Nick - I'm not sure why you say that.  Once we knew we had to get a France certified translator - to translate a document from French to English, we simply asked at our local Mairie's office and we were given a list.  She is certified to translate from French to English and English to French.  She is in Avignon.
[/quote]

I am probably being particularly pedantic (typically). I still wonder, like others, why the OP's Notaire requires a certified translator and who certified a translation company in Sussex (assuming that they are).
[/quote]

I don't think you're being pedantic, I think you're ignoring what has already been posted - "Notaires have a duty of care to ensure that people know the meaning of documents they are signing" (Quote from Will the Conqueror, and completely correct) - why are you finding it so difficult to understand that some Notaires may be very thorough (as is their right) and insist on making absolutely sure that their clients understand what they are signing, especially if they think that their clients don't understand French well enough?

As for a Translation company in Surrey, they will no doubt be licenced by the British Government under an EU provision, but I am sure that the person who posted this can put your mind at rest (if they can be bothered to get involved in answering you!).

[quote user="mini-mum"]

Then you are wrong again Nick, and please do let us all know where the basic rule of translation can be found so that we can all read it.

[/quote]

Thank you for that carefully considered response. My information is based on knowing and working with a professional translator for a good few years. What has it to do with you, anyway?

[quote user="mini-mum"]

[quote user="nicktrollope"] [quote user="Lori"]Nick - I'm not sure why you say that.  Once we knew we had to get a France certified translator - to translate a document from French to English, we simply asked at our local Mairie's office and we were given a list.  She is certified to translate from French to English and English to French.  She is in Avignon.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think you're being pedantic, I think you're ignoring what has already been posted - "Notaires have a duty of care to ensure that people know the meaning of documents they are signing" (Quote from Will the Conqueror, and completely correct) - why are you finding it so difficult to understand that some Notaires may be very thorough (as is their right) and insist on making absolutely sure that their clients understand what they are signing, especially if they think that their clients don't understand French well enough?

As for a Translation company in Surrey, they will no doubt be licenced by the British Government under an EU provision, but I am sure that the person who posted this can put your mind at rest (if they can be bothered to get involved in answering you!).

[/quote]

This is from my original post;

Now go a re-read your posting.

[quote user="nicktrollope"][quote user="mini-mum"]

[/quote]

Thank you for that carefully considered response. My information is based on knowing and working with a professional translator for a good few years. What has it to do with you, anyway?

[/quote]

Then the information that you gleaned from knowing and working with a professional  translator for a good few years is a load of nonsense, as you well know but won't admit. And it has a lot to do with me and any other forum member when you post wrong information. Once again, I will ask please do let us all know where the basic rule of translation can be found so that we can all read it - You should have this information at your fingertips shouldn't you after knowing and working with a professional translator for a good few years?

[quote user="nicktrollope"] [quote user="mini-mum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This is from my original post;

Now go a re-read your posting.

[/quote]

So why did you ask the question " I still wonder, like others, why the OP's Notaire requires a certified translator" when you already knew the answer?

Oh, come on you guys.....cool it. I suggest that the person learns french then he/they will be saved from all this hassle!

I have assisted and helped endless people sign draft and full contracts, and have never had any trouble. The Notaire speaks clearly, and stops frequently in his discours to make sure that everybody understands. If not, pains are taken to explain things before moving on. This happens whether the buyers/sellers are French or British. If you are worried about your capabilities in understanding take along a friend who can understand and explain things to you. Your Notaire will not have a problem with you stopping him and asking to explain. They get paid enough!!!

maureen.

Well if it's not Sunday Driver - you do get around on yer boike.

Going back to your original post johnv you say that your Notaire is asking for a "proper" translation. You do not actually say an "official" translation. Have you perhaps misunderstood??!!

Anyway since you posted this message you must have by now signed that contract!

maureen.

My reaction is either :

Tell you vendor of the problem and suggest he or she talks to the Eastate Agent about  possiblity appointing another notaire.

Suggest to the vendours Notaire that you want you own Notaire and that they split the fee.

I have some sympathy with the Notaire because you cannot contract unless you understand what you are signing but if you understand UK property law, French law is probably les complx  

• 1 month later...

[quote user="nicktrollope"][quote user="johnv"]not sure if this is the right place to post .. My Notaire expects me to get a 'proper' translation of this document, signed by the translator with his/her qualifications  .. any takers?[/quote]

Assuming you are needing a translation from French to English then you won't find a certified translator in France.

[/quote]

There  are dozens of (certified) Sworn Translators in French who translate legal documents from French to English or visa versa. You can get a list of our names and contact details from any Court of Appeal or from many Town Halls, Tribunals or Embassies.

All the best,
Peter

Moderator.

If anyone offers a service and feels they can respond to a forum members needs they should do so via private PM and not in open forum. Rather than delete this post I have modified it as it provides general information which might be helpful to others.