Wood-burning stoves 'can cause cancer and heart disease'

Quillan

Ok, Ok, agreed about pushing buttons!

What the hell, when pushing a button doesn't work, I'll think of somethiing else!  But, as sure as eggs is eggs, I ain't gonna cross bridges until I come to one or, put another way, I'm going to keep on driving as long as the lights are green!

we have tried to have several options so ... very efficient woodburner in Sitting Rm (empty of ash every 5 or so days), Esse Ironheart (really doesn't build upn

ash) and Gas/Electric range in kitchen, woodburner in snug and GCH in case it gets really cold. So we can lose electric, gas or run out of wood and still be warm. We have a electric radiator circuit installed (but no rads fitted) just in case that makes sense one day. At our age we have not looked at Solar/Geothermal but we have discussed replacing our GCH with wood pellets when boiler gives up. You can always find research, normally slanted towards whoever supports their study, that will be negative - we like wood fires for the ambiance/look, GCH for convenience .... yes, with wood stoves, there is dust with associated probs for asthmatics ... but then you might step in front of a bus!

I'm a life-long asthmatic, yet I find our wood-burner no problem. What does make me feel short of breath is an over-heated house, particularly a centrally-heated one which has apparently been hermetically sealed against the ingress of fresh air. [:)]

It's interesting to hear how different peoples' experiences are with wood stoves. Perhaps rather than stove design the difference is down to wood type and seasoning.

We burn almost entirely hardwoods, mostly oak, sycamore and ash. All of them will have been seasoned for at least 2 years, placed in a covered wood store and then brought in to the house for at least 2 weeks before burning. The end result is burning at a very high temperature with very little ash and no problem with soot.

Steven Quas

Hamburg

SQ, I know you are right about the storage.  We didn't have proper dry storage but OH used to "cook" the logs on top of our oven and indeed on top of the woodburner as well before using.

It was a real faff when it rained for days on end and we tried to batten down the "baches" and tried to move what we could into our garden shed.

Still, pushing buttons is easier and very flexible.  Push for on, if it gets a bit too warm, push for off............bien simple!

s17 - It looks like we almost agree. Burning firewood is a time consuming process and I can see the attraction of pressing a button instead. Part of the reason we do it is the pleasure we get from sitting infront of the fire in the evening, but I completely understand that the hassle can outweigh the benefits.

Steven

We have a Villager wood burner with the vents at the front. When it is burning, you can feel the air being sucked through the vents and into the fire quite strongly. Can someone tell me why there is so much dark coloured dust in the room every day? I did not think dust would be able to come the other way through vents when the draw is so strong. Does the dust exude when I open the door to put in more wood? You can appreciate, from the question, that this is our first season with a woodburner!

Do not smoke, don't drink too much alcohol, avoid breathing in fumes from vehicles and don't drink water from plastic bottles - these are just a few of the things that, we are told, can cause cancer...

Also, too much sex is bad for you, as is too little. Kissing can pass dangerous germs. Don't eat too much cheese and certainly never touch the unpasteurised stuff. There are too many chemicals in our clothes, too many in our plastic products - so get rid of your tv, hi-fi, fridge and freezer. And don't forget, the greatest percentage of the interior of a car is plastic, so don't travel in them. And for goodness sake don't walk because too many people are accident victims...

I am two years down the road from a major operation that has saved my life after being diagnosed with prostate cancer. One of my greatest loves nowadays is getting across to our wonderful house in France and sipping some quality wine whilst sitting by our lovely woodburner - and no expert's opinion is going to stop me doing that!

[quote user="springer"]I never wanted a wood burner, but it was the cheapest option. Ours was only fitted in November and this week I am repainting the kitchen because its filthy[/quote]

That isn't the fault of burning wood, sadly it sounds as if your woodburner is not of a great manufactured quality.

Stan, sadly I believe just as with many other industries there is so much BS spoken. The problem is if you police everything life is so dull, so where to draw the line. Villager stoves are really good stoves I have heard that everywhere but is it really true or just a rumor started by a sales force somewhere?

EDIT: If that much dirt can make it out of your woodburner in such a short time I think I would buy a carbon monoxide detecter/gauge/meter just to be sure.

Mel, I drink to that [B]

[quote user="Steven Quas"]He's 63 years your senoir, that's quite an age gap [;-)] How do I get these emoticons to work?[/quote]

Steven Q, there are no emoticons to express wonder or amazement or indeed of pure admiration for my youth and beauty![:D][:P]