New tax on maison secondaires ?

[quote user="idun"]

However, what on earth are these posts about that say, 'I'll show 'em, I'll spend less in France if they do this'?

If someone cannot afford to spend what they ususally spend in France, fair enough, but if anyone does this deliberately, then why?[/quote]

In my case it isn't a case of afford or not. I can more or less afford another Taxe Fonciere. But what I do strongly object to is a tax (anywhere) that is specifically directed at foreigners who can't vote against it. Which this very much is; all the rest is a fig leaf against the inevitable EC accusations of discrimination.

I pay taxes, make little use of the facilties provided and support the local economy. Whatever happened to Liberté, égalité, fraternité?

[quote user="Jon02"]

But what I do strongly object to is a tax (anywhere) that is specifically directed at foreigners who can't vote against it. Which this very much is; all the rest is a fig leaf against the inevitable EC accusations of discrimination.

I pay taxes, make little use of the facilties provided and support the local economy. Whatever happened to Liberté, égalité, fraternité?

[/quote]Is it specifically directed at foreigners?

I see no mention of whether they are French or foreign.

If I understand correctly, the proposal is for second homes belonging to

non residents i.e. those whose principal residence is abroad and are therefore non resident for tax purposes. So it would apply to those of any nationality who pay their main income taxes abroad.

Foreigners and non residents are not the same thing.

Danny

I remember the comment of the Notaire when he handed the papers and keys to me when I bought my house . He said "Its now yours you can rent it out " I had no intention of doing so but he thought it was what would happen . I suspect some French official behind this tax thinks all foreign second home owners MUST be making money from them and not paying us any tax And if they say they are not ... don't believe them .

[quote user="Frederick"] I suspect some French official behind this tax thinks all foreign second home owners MUST be making money from them and not paying us any tax And if they say they are not ... don't believe them .[/quote]

Again, it is not aimed specifically at foreigners, unless I have misread something.

I would guess a lot of  people (foreign or not) do rent them out and don't declare the income.

Danny

[quote user="Jane and Danny"]

Again, it is not aimed specifically at foreigners, unless I have misread something.

I would guess a lot of  people (foreign or not) do rent them out and don't declare the income.[/quote]

The 'not aimed specifically' is correct but, IMHO, that's just the fig leaf to avoid EC complaints. And ensure that Franch domestic second homes aren't caught up in it (because those owners can vote).

And the 'unless it's available to let' aspect is just clever. Those who are letting but are currently off the French fisc radar will claim exemption. And then get a vist from the fisc.

[quote user="Jane and Danny"][I would guess a lot of  people (foreign or not) do rent them out and don't declare the income.
Danny
[/quote]I'm sure that happens.  I'm sure it's done by  residents of France with second homes and non-residents alike.  But it's not a good reason to invent a new tax.  It's only a good reason to catch the offenders and both prosecute and fine them for tax evasion. 

Whatever happened to Liberté, égalité, fraternité?

When you live in France for a long time you quickly realise that those three little things actually don't really apply to every day life in France![Www]

My answer would be to tax second home owners on notional rental income (as I am told they do in Spain) if property not actually let. Treat French and furriners alike so no whining about Yooman Rites.This of course would negate the complaints about property staying empty for 48 weeks per year.

Oh to be Chancellor or Minister of Finance or both.

John

[quote user="Iceni"]

My answer would be to tax second home owners on notional rental income (as I am told they do in Spain) if property not actually let. Treat French and furriners alike so no whining about Yooman Rites.This of course would negate the complaints about property staying empty for 48 weeks per year.

Oh to be Chancellor or Minister of Finance or both.

John

[/quote]

Empty 48 weeks of the year...!   The vast majority of second homes in my  area of France  are owned by the French who are living in the big cities.... I could point out some that are shuttered up and  have not been visited in the last two or three years .  

And a lot more (including a complete hamlet near by) jointly owned by many members of French families (with their own homes elsewhere) that have not been visited for decades (except the odd unsuspecting agent asked to value it occasionally) and ruinously allowed to crumble into the undergrowth . . . Why should these owners be exempt, contributing only dereliction to the local economy.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Jane and Danny"][I would guess a lot of  people (foreign or not) do rent them out and don't declare the income.

Danny

[/quote]I'm sure that happens.  I'm sure it's done by  residents of France with second homes and non-residents alike.  But it's not a good reason to invent a new tax.  It's only a good reason to catch the offenders and both prosecute and fine them for tax evasion. [/quote]

Yes Deb, I agree. And with that in mind, I will never let any family or friends use our French home unless we are there and they visit us as visitors. That way it is clear to everyone in our village that it is our house and our house only! (But then I suppose somebody might say we could be charging our friends for B&B...)