Civil war continues round Paris

Bit of an old story. The Maire was on TV a couple of weeks ago. He did sound genuinely desperate, and totally bewildered about what to do.

And the Police have withdrawn, so it is totally lawless.

Reglement des comptes, rather than civil war.

[quote user="NickP"]No different to parts of Liverpool, Manchester or London[/quote]

You are SO wrong. Be grateful you don't get the IDF local TV news, there are 2-3 fatal shootings each days. In 1 month that is more than the whole of the UK gets in 1 year. Two 3 year olds were shot last week. Deliberately. Not by accident. The mother commited suicide. All because some gang wanted her flat as a salon de shoot.

This is several levels above the worst the UK could get in it's worst nightmares.

I am so saddened to see that the govt has done nothing about this. I saw it on the tv a few weeks ago too.

France has too many places that are like this. As was said, never on the relocation programs are they.

They could recall a few helicopters from Libya I guess, but what kind of a solution would that be? An admission of failure and defeat is not something that many governments are prepared to acknowledge. Those major problems in some cités seem to be glossed over, whereas they should really make are bigger news,  be reported more widely. Instead, we are being treated ad nauseam to the histrionics of the Bettencourt family, and other safer news.

[quote user="breizh"]

[quote user="NickP"]No different to parts of Liverpool, Manchester or London[/quote]

You are SO wrong. Be grateful you don't get the IDF local TV news, there are 2-3 fatal shootings each days. In 1 month that is more than the whole of the UK gets in 1 year. Two 3 year olds were shot last week. Deliberately. Not by accident. The mother commited suicide. All because some gang wanted her flat as a salon de shoot.

This is several levels above the worst the UK could get in it's worst nightmares.

[/quote]

If you say so, then that must be true.

A quick search on Google suggests there are about 800 murders per year in the UK. That doesn't include violent deaths that were not proved to be murders. There have been quite a number of shootings reported in recent years in London in particular. So I'm a little surprised by the statement that 2-3 fatal shootings is more than the whole of the UK gets in a year.

We listen to LBC a lot (London radio) and there's a report of a stabbing or shooting every few days[:(] Not always fatal, but a terrible amount of violence.

To say nothing of the road accidents and traffic holdups.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

And the mayor calls for UN support! Where are the CRS?

[/quote]

Would you really want the CRS to do more?  I hate them, I think that they make any situation worse if they intervene, they seem unable to be able to differentiate between trouble makers/criminals and 'normal' people. So wanting to call the UN sounds like the Maire has been giving this some thought.

I used to be so worried when my kids went on manifs and then would hear that the CRS had been called out. Mine, were always OK, but I know other kids who were not so lucky.

My son is training to be a teacher here in France and if he opts to work in the Education Nationale, he must do his first three years (probation teaching) in a tough city area - you can understand our worries as parents because teachers can often be targetted both by pupils and parents alike regardless of where they live and he would have to live locally because of the high cost of renting if he were to go to Paris. Wonder if Marseille is any better?