EDF Meter

Gardian

Our meter was read sometime in the last week or so, as per the normal schedule.

I received a letter from EDF this morning saying that there was a dysfonctionnement with the meter and would I phone to make an appointment for an engineer to visit. No problem, I'll do that on Monday.  I also thought though that I'd have a quick look at the reading to see whether it grossly over or under what I'd have expected.

It has conked out!  No digital reading whatsoever.  Obviously we've been getting power without any problem although this probably explains why we haven't been getting the twice daily 'signal' for heures creuses - that hadn't bothered me overly, I just left the ballon switched on permanently.

This isn't the first time this has happened: shortly after we first moved in eight years ago, I noticed that it had stopped and rang for an engineer. It was ants and the old mechanical counter had been infiltrated. A common problem around here.  EDF simply said "Not your problem - the new reading starts now", so we got 3 winter months free.  This time, I reckon that its been u/s for at least 4 or 5 months, but they should have a half-year reading which they take in order to make any payment adjustment. It must have been working OK then, otherwise they'd have flagged it up.

Has anybody else had a recent situation like this and if so, what was EDF's stance?  I'd just like to be halfway prepared to negotiate my position if it comes to that. 

We are on TEMPO, three years ago our meter stopped registering red days and nights, it 'sticks' on whatever colour the night was before. We have had two engineers out (I kept a record of the dates and call numbers) and basically they looked, scratched their heads and said the problem was elsewhere. On our bills it shows the number of units used for red days and nights as being the same as they were three years ago. Surely there must be something in the software on their mainframe that would trigger some form of alert when they feed in the meter readings so they will send an engineer for fear I am 'stealing' electricity or whatever but no nothing has happened.

Like you, possibly, I have always been worried that one day they will sort it out and then try and back bill me based on previous years. I shall call another engineer out this year after the first red day. I know what will happen, he will prod and poke it then go away. I am working on the basis that by calling an engineer and him saying something like 'no fault found' on his report that they will do nothing, only time will tell and then only if they wise up.

I rang EDF yesterday morning and they offered an engineer visit for this afternoon!  Should have told them that he couldn't come until Christmas. They confirmed that they've got a half year reading at end-March.

Anyway, don't really know why it needed an appointment because the box is outside the property (as normal). He replaced the meter in 10 minutes flat and was on his way.

Now I'm looking forward to getting the bill. I've paid all my 10 prelevements for the year, so worst case I get an estimated bill for the full year (which I'll whinge about and see what they say) or more likely it'll be based on the reading of 6 months ago. The latter won't mean a bill of 50% of course, but could well give me a credit of more than few hundred euros.[;-)]

My neighbour says that these new-fangled digital meters go round faster than the old ones and he prefers to feed his old one with a bit of sugar every now and then to encourage the ants. He means it too! [blink] 

I used to check our EDF and GDF meters every few months and jot it down on the last bill or in the diary. I like to know where I am with these things and if our bill was wrong, I'd get in touch and give them the right reading. I hate estimated bills.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I received my revised bill 10 days ago. They based it on the reading taken in March and then an estimate for the following 6 months up to mid-Sept.

After studying the numbers, I concluded that the estimate for the Summer months was a bit high, so I rang to have a gentle challenge. Really impressed with the phone system: minimal delay to get on to a real person, who had all my details in front of her without me having to say a word (apparently if you're ringing from your ligne fixe, it accesses your a/c). She said "Fair enough, I'll get the estimate checked out for you".

I received a revised estimate for the Summer period yesterday which had changed the numbers slightly in my favour, but I was happy. I'm pretty sure that the meter had been on the blink for months before last March's reading, because the consumption for last Winter was simply too low. All up, a credit of €660.[:)]

Then another letter this morning. "Another invoice for €850 has been applied to your a/c, so we're taking €190 as a prelevement next week". No invoice enclosed, so I had a look on their website. The fools had treated the revised estimate as an additional invoice!  Happily, a 20 minute phone call seems to have unravelled the problem, but they're still going to take the €190 and then refund everything owing.  I'll bet that they still get it wrong.   

This is why I have stopped prélèvements for my utility bills, since my water company helped themselves to 350€ without my consent.

Now I put my monthly payments into a Livret A and only pay up if I am ready and sure the amount is correct.

(In fact it is a LDD, so as to keep  this separate from savings)

[quote user="idun"]I used to check our EDF and GDF meters every few months and jot it down on the last bill or in the diary. I like to know where I am with these things and if our bill was wrong, I'd get in touch and give them the right reading. I hate estimated bills.[/quote]

Slightly off topic I know but.

With EDF its possible to read your own meter every two months after being prompted by an E-mail and enter the details on your EDF Espace client, just look under Relève client, saves all the flaffing about with estimated bills for four out of six. I suspect GDF run a similar scheme.

LOL most of our time, it was one company EDF/GDF and as we had EJP they only read our meter once a year and we paid by prelevement.

Hence, I liked to keep my eye on both, I never liked surprise bills. As it was I adjusted our prelevement if necessary and so at the end of the year it all worked out just fine.

Isn't it possible these days to do a meter reading on an EDF account on the puter?

[quote user="idun"] Isn't it possible these days to do a meter reading on an EDF account on the puter? [/quote]

Idun I think that is what Retread is saying ... and what I do. Every 2 months I get an email from EDF saying that it is time to read the meter and input the figures into my online EDF account. The email has a link to my account. All in all it takes but a few mins for me to do this and it means all our bills are accurate.

Sue

Thats exactly what I meant the link can be found here Espace client relevé

Hope that helps :-) I've used it for the past few years and provided I put in the figures within 9 days the billing is based upon my reading. If you are non resident and have someone looking out for your maison secondaire then a quick call to them would enable you to get the latest reading, 

[quote user="Gardian"]

I'll bet that they still get it wrong.   

[/quote]

I've just seen the revised billing on the website.  They did .................. and its nicely in my favour, so when and if the money turns up it'll be stashed away for the day when they realise.

Idiots!