Downloading warnings

Bugsy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16391727

"In France, the government is pursuing a three strikes policy for

persistent pirates. Hadopi, the body set up to administer the policy,

said in mid-2011 that over the previous nine months it had been tracking

18 million French IP addresses.

It sent a total of 470,000 first warnings by email, with 20,000 users receiving a second warning through the mail.

About 10 people who appeared to ignore the two warnings were asked to come and explain their actions to the agency."

[quote user="halfblind"]WRT fims, stop dubbing English language films with crap french voices and changing what the directors/actors/producers wanted the films to say ! Subtitles - yes Dubbing - No[/quote]

Aint that the truth!

Why do they think that every female even a ballsy one playing the starring role has to be dubbed to sound like she is having a permanent anxiety attack? I swear they use the same woman for all the voices.

Listen to a teenage slash horror movie or something like Thelma and Louise and the women will all have the same terrified neurotic voice, I have yet to meet a French woman that sounds that way.

As far as I understand under this wholly misbegotten, sycophantic, politically motivated, and largely futile, piece of legislation they are only monitoring P2P traffic which nowadays only newbys and unsophisticated amateurs use.

The more savvy get their downloads via more direct (and discrete) methods, newgroups being a popular one.

A 2.5% hit rate for the first warning hardly strikes me as a stunning success for the agency and even if made them all stop immediately it wouldn't even register in the great scheme and scale of illegal downloading.

[quote user="AnOther"]As far as I understand under this wholly misbegotten, sycophantic, politically motivated, and largely futile, piece of legislation they are only monitoring P2P traffic which nowadays only newbys and unsophisticated amateurs use.

The more savvy get their downloads via more direct (and discrete) methods, newgroups being a popular one.

A 2.5% hit rate for the first warning hardly strikes me as a stunning success for the agency and even if made them all stop immediately it wouldn't even register in the great scheme and scale of illegal downloading.

[/quote]

It's not illegal. It's sharing :)

All these measures, including the new Spanish one http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16391727, display the same woeful misunderstanding of how the Internet works and therefore the absolute impossibility of preventing file sharing.

The article above talks about shutting sites down but how they plan to do that when they are very likely hosted in a foreign country is not revealed and in any case, as fast as you do get one shut down or blocked another will appear to take it's place so it's a perpetual cycle where the authorities can never be anything but on the back foot and two steps behind.

What is the answer, I don't claim to know but sensible pricing and legitimate online availability would be good starts though, carrots not sticks.

Laws enacted on the back of surveys reporting grotesquely inflated alleged losses, commissioned by the very bodies who stand to gain the most from them,  are not the way that's for sure.

According to these people each and every illegal download represents a tangible loss of revenue which is risible and TBH I  think if you divided it by 1000 you'd still be in the realms of gross exaggeration.

I couldn't agree more AnOther. These news group sites mentioned earlier will be a prime target. I guess if the sites are in Europe then they can be closed under EU law but they will simply move to places like Russian and other old Eastern Block countries.

The other issue is Bit torrent. When you download a bit torrent file it is downloaded from multiple locations in tiny bits (hence bit) and typically they do not reside on any file server but hundred, thousands and even millions of different PC's round the world. It's actually fascinating to watch how it does this. Coupled to all this, as discussed in another thread, people don't have a fixed IP address so you have got to keep some form of historical record of who had which IP address and when then tie it in with a particular download. Even then if you do it at say work from the outside you can't see who actually did it unless you can get inside and see who had what IP address at the time. This was how they caught the people at the Department of Culture in France. They could tell from the opposite way round by seeing who was downloading but not necessarily from were because of the DMZ and firewall. People in the business learn a lot from what happened with Napster and the answer was Bit Torrent because of the virtual impossibility of catching all the culprits.

So at the end of the day the only way they can really know for absolute certain is if they walk in and catch you in the act.

• 9 months later...
I've just received an email from Hadopi, I must be one of the unlucky ones as I hardly ever download anything but they've given me a date, a time 06.09 am when this misuse is supposed to have occurred and they suggest I take measures to make my internet more secure and be careful what sites I browse!   It also says that because the contract is in my name then I am responsible if anyone else "misuses" the internet.

It gives an IP address which I am not sure is mine (Orange), or maybe this is the site I'm supposed to have downloaded from?

Could expat shield be one of these sites they are talking about?  Even so I wouldn't be watching it at 6 in the morning.

Yes Norman the internet is unsecured but we are quite a distance from other houses in our commune, perhaps I should change it back to secure just to be on the safe side.

Quillan it does look pretty authentic and no there wasn't an attachment.

Just a bit of a shock to get one, I've heard about people getting them but didn't believe they could monitor individuals like this.

If you are in a position where neighbours or passers by could possibly tap into your WiFi then you should definitely secure it.

Remember you might think you are radiating no more than a few meters from your property but someone with an antenna and on the look out might pick it up from much much further away. If I tell you that with the correct antenna equipment, but still only the 0.05 or 0.1w of power WiFi works with - and an unobstructed path, you could establish a 100% reliable high speed link across several miles it might help you to appreciate the potential possibilities.

06:09 does seem a bit early in the morning for war driving - the term used for driving around looking for open WiFi's - which perhaps makes it more suggestive of a neighbour. Or did you have any house guests at that time ?

Nobody is watching you specifically or in real time but if a complaint is received they can very quickly track back. Whichever ISP you are with their system will be keeping logs of IP addresses so on demand they will be able to pinpoint exactly which subscriber had any address at any particular point in time.

I think you can be near 100% certain that Expatshield will not be the problem.

Surely a scam e-mail, can you see any French government department using e-mail even one involved with the internet?

Still the good news is that they will ignore any reply of yours by e-mail [;-)]

Seriously if they were going to send out warnings would it not be by letter? I assume they know the address of the internet abonnées, be a bit hard to take enforcment action otherwise.

It was stated that the warnings would be sent out by email..

Enforcement

On receipt of a complaint from a copyright holder or representative, HADOPI may initiate a 'three-strike' procedure:

• (1) An email message is sent to the offending internet access subscriber, derived from the IP address

involved in the claim. The email specifies the time of the claim but

neither the object of the claim nor the identity of the claimant.

The ISP

is then required to monitor the subject internet connection. In

addition, the internet access subscriber is invited to install a filter

on his internet connection.

If, in the 6 months following the first step, a repeat offence is

suspected by the copyright holder, his representative, the ISP or

HADOPI, the second step of the procedure is invoked.

• (2) A certified letter is sent to the offending internet access

subscriber with similar content to the originating email message.

In the event that the offender fails to comply during the year

following the reception of the certified letter, and upon accusation of

repeated offences by the copyright holder, a representative, the ISP or

HADOPI, the third step of the procedure is invoked.

• (3) The ISP is required to suspend internet access for the offending

internet connection, that which is the subject of the claim, for a

specified period of from two months to one year.

The internet access subscriber is blacklisted and other ISPs are

prohibited from providing an internet connection to the blacklisted

subscriber. The service suspension does not, however, interrupt billing,

and the offending subscriber is liable to meet any charges or costs

resulting from the service termination.

The programs Norman has given only information about the router, it can't detect the IP address of a device (computer) attached to the router.

To find this out (if you have a LiveBox) is to enter the router by typing 192.168.1.1 in to your browser and then enter the password which should be 'admin' unless you have changed it which is the first thing you should do anyway. If you then click on the Settings tab you will get a list of all the computers attached (and have been attached) to your router and their names. Ones that are in grey are not connected, those in orange are. By double clicking on one of these you will get more information including their mac address and the IP address your router gave the device. You should look to see if there is anything attached and active that you don't recognise then look at all the greyed ones. The device name is the one given when you install Windows (can be seen by right clicking on desktop icon marked 'My Computer' or just 'Computer' depending on the version of Windows you are using and selecting properties). Mobile phones are also personalised so you can identify them as well, not sure about Linux stuff. This may help you work out who is connecting to your router. You have the function to delete these devices when you open them which might also help. If you delete the devices and then go back a week or two later and have a look you might be able to work out who they are if they reappear.