Gift advice please

Hoddy

Hoddy,

I'm 72 and the last thing I need is more garden tools or clothes. Maybe some Norfolk lavender would do for his garden or some marmalade made from Saville oranges. Bon Mamon orange preserves is nice, but not bitter like the real thing. Also, raspberry or strawberry jam made in GB. Oddly enough, our daughter lives in the same road as David Austin roses in Albrighton.

David McN. 

Having read all the answers on this post and given the age of this friend I think I would opt for a special named rose with  a very Eng. connection e.g. Queen Elizabeth AND a good meal out, not too posh as he may feel ill at ease but all the same make an occasion of it.

Do let us know the outcome Hoddy.

Actually, rather than a meal out - which he may feel embarrassed over - what about asking him to a meal chez vous? He would be intrigued to eat "foreign" cooking (but don't do anything spicy, as i find most French just can't cope with that)? i bet he would "dine out" (ouch) on the story for years to come.

A rose with an interesting name is a great idea.

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"]Actually, rather than a meal out - which he may feel embarrassed over - what about asking him to a meal chez vous? He would be intrigued to eat "foreign" cooking (but don't do anything spicy, as i find most French just can't cope with that)? i bet he would "dine out" (ouch) on the story for years to come. A rose with an interesting name is a great idea. Angela[/quote]

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet?  [:)]

PS Despite my signature line, I am no Shakespeare expert so please change quote as necessary. 

Thanks for all the ideas.

I need to say some more about my neighbour. He is 76 and is 'the man' in a very old-fashioned sense. Consequently the garden around his house where the flowers and the chickens are is very much woman's work. The basic cultivation of his garden is done with his tractor and he has a set of tools which he appears to have been using forever. His produce is shared out around his family who appear to spend the summer preserving food for the winter. I give him pots of jam as I make it.

He has been our neighbour for eleven years now and we sometimes go out to a decent restaurant together anyway and eating with us is commonplace.

For all these reasons I think I'll stick with the idea of loppers. He won't touch the 'house' garden except to clip the bushes around it for which they will be useful and he did admire the loppers we lent him last time he did it.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Hoddy

• 2 weeks later...