renting to CAF tenants

Washy

I rented out one of my flats to a young man handicapped and it was either the CAF or CPAM who paid.  The money was paid directly into my bank account and increased every year or so.

Thinking, I am sure it was the CPAM.  I will check.  I also rented a flat to his mother and she paid in cash from the CAF.  All very satisfactory.  Stops the buggers not paying in winter if the money is paid by the social.....

[quote user="Alexis"]

I rented out one of my flats to a young man handicapped and it was either the CAF or CPAM who paid.  The money was paid directly into my bank account and increased every year or so.

Thinking, I am sure it was the CPAM.  I will check.  I also rented a flat to his mother and she paid in cash from the CAF.  All very satisfactory.  Stops the buggers not paying in winter if the money is paid by the social.....

[/quote]

Actually you make a good (if not subtle) point!

Renting out to 'CAF types' is really not such a bad thing: we receive a rent contribution from the CAF, for a family of three we receive around 300€ and make the rest of the rent up ourselves; the CAF pay their contribution straight into the landlord's account - (you should really try and insist on this when you agree to rent to your CAF supported tennants).

Other than that, I suppose you should work out what the shortfall is from renting to folk receiving CAF contributions - for instance we couldn't afford an expensive rent as making up the shortfall is difficult enough with a cheapish rent, but if your property is 600€ and the CAF only pay 300€ then you could be renting to folk with aspirations above their wallet size...

Having said that, I'm sure some folk can afford to receive some CAF money and make up the shortfall quite easily (though I'd love to know their secret!). If you visit the CAF website there is a tool where you can work out the maximum amount a family can expected to be reimbursed - it's based on the amount of kids etc: should give you a topic for discussion with prospective tennants if such a need were to arise?

The only other caveat I would add is that you have to ensure you sign everything promptly and perhaps even go down to the CAF in person when the initial contract is signed - this way you will be sure that the caf/your tennants don't lose the paperwork etc! We actually had the opposite problem where our ex-landlord messed up (long story - nutty ex-landlord) the paperwork and then blamed us: so works both ways!

Once the CAF roll into action they are very good at ensuring the landlord is paid promptly, and as the above poster states: there is no magical method where a landlord is guaranteed prompt payment in full from ANY tennant.

Re-reading my earlier post, I am as clear as mud.  I meant people not paying their rent in the winter months who have no help from the CAF or CPAM.  Sorry for that.  These are normally well-paid individuals who just know their laws and rights and don't pay up.  Don't get me started!  A friend of mine was three years trying to get rid of a couple who paid the first months rent and the deposit....

The people with assistance are a good bet as, I said before, their rent is paid.  As it is mainly SMIC around me, I would say that lots of people get help in varying amounts.

Am I missing a point (highly unlikely!) when I look at property in the UK to rent and they state no DHSS?  Don't they get help?

[quote user="Alexis"]

A friend of mine was three years trying to get rid of a couple who paid the first months rent and the deposit....

[/quote]

Was this in the UK or France?

I will in the future be renting out apartments here in France and if the EADS/Airbus problems get worse I may only have CAF tenants.

My understanding is regardless of CAF or not you cannot evict a tenant in November or December if they havn't paid the rent but thereafter it is very easy, have I been malinformed or misunderstood?

You have been ill-informed.  It is six months, October to March, when you can't evict a tenant.  It is not easy to turf them out afterwards either.  For one thing, by the time the cogs of law have turned, it is winter again and another six months twiddling your thumbs and so it goes on.

The people I know who had the problem with non payment of rent only 'got rid of them' because they left of their own accord.