Pharmaciens en greve

idun

Didn't anyone else find it weird that the chemists went on strike? I jure'd when I saw this today.

Is there anything dearer than the products in a french pharmacien's shops. Not only are over the counter things expensive, but the doctors still give out lots of prescriptions. Which one has to get from the chemists!

I am at a loss as to why they need to do this. We still have small chemists shops in England. In fact I prefer them as do many people I know.

Will it be the tabac's going on strike next?

The final irony about this strike could be the notice outside a big pharmacie in town.

It says in bold capital letters:  Votre santé est menacée!

So who exactly is endangering our health when the pharmacies are on strike and closing their doors to people in perhaps urgent need of their medicaments?[+o(]

The pharmacists have been defending themselves a lot in the last few days, including some interesting TV appearances. Basically they say that they act as advisors on health and that if they start to shut down, rural areas will be badly served as the only places to buy medicines will be the big supermarket complexes which are often far from town centres and inaccessible without cars.

And that if the business is thrown open to big capital ( which means chains, ultimately) many will close down as not being viable.

And they are saying that free purchase of medicines will lead to misuse, citing paracetamol as one example.

All of these arguments are valid.

What they do not mention is that their profit margins are excessive, that their advice also means, usually, buying some other product which may or may not be effective. In other words, there is a contradiction in their role as advisors and commerce. And that the big chains will produce huge economies of scale to balance the producers.

Nor do they admit the need to educate the public into correct medicine use.

They cite Sweden where supermarkets sell medication and where there is real concern being expressed over misuse of paracetamol based products and where they may return behind the counter.

I think that UK also limits access but am not sure.

The government has not unfortunately announced an investigation into the pricing of medicines from manufacturers right down the chain, for the pharmacists are only a small part of the problem, I fear.

Perhaps the best solution is to have big chains in the towns with the majority of proprietry drugs available in supermarkets as well as pharmacies, but to fight to keep the small rural ones, which, by the way, have diminished in numbers considerably as they do go broke.

I use the village pharmacy here all the time and seem to amaze them when I reduce the doctor's prescription to the basics. Besides, I can get up to three months supply at a time without fuss as I have trained them, which is not really allowed.

A very balanced and fair post WB.

I see my local Pharmacy in town acting as guardian angels to a very difficult  impoverished population in a sink inner-city area where they certainly serve an important role giving advice, dispensing first-aid, checking on such things as warfarin dosage (which in the UK I believe is done by a Nurse in a clinic) and dealing  with an ethnically mixed group of people with approximate French who don't understand what the Doctor has said.

At another level the big companies make enormous profits out of the system which is a cash-cow.

My guess is that they make more money on non-prescription drugs and so are very keen to keep the sale of these in their hands.

By the way, did everyone know that the Secu spends over 200million euros on different types of thermal cures, despite the fact that there is NO real scientific research to prove its efficacity.

Which seems odd really. But then, guess what, the purveyors have a very strong lobby.

Such is the grip they have on who can sell what in the way of medications . I was surprised  to read in a recent email from  B.F . that  they  were pointing out they are not permitted to sell sea sickness tablets on the ships ......but .......if any passenger had a problem .  With the exception of the Norman Voyager fast they now employed a nurse on board .  That,s what you call power !

http://www.gulf-times.com/Mobile/UK-Europe/183/details/410482/Pharmacists,-notaries-rally-against-%E2%80%98absurd%E2%80%99-reforms