Fosse Septiques - Eparcyl and cleaning the loo

Hi Adam, and welcome to the forum.

Can't help with the stain-shifting advice, but just to say:

If you really do have a cesspit (fosse étanche), as you say, then it doesn't matter what products you put down the loo as a cesspit is simply a holding tank which has to be pumped out regularly.

But as you were left a box of Eparcyl activator by your predecessors, then what you have is more probably a septic tank (fosse septique).

As well as putting down regular doses of the activator to keep the bacteria happy, I use a product called Clarcyl to clean mine (recommended for septic tanks; I buy it in the local supermarket). It smells nice, but I don't think it's specially powerful.

Have you tried putting your hand down the bowl and using a green scratchy Scotchbrite-type pad to shift the stain? I have found that effective if all else fails.

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"]

Have you tried putting your hand down the bowl and using a green scratchy Scotchbrite-type pad to shift the stain? I have found that effective if all else fails.

Angela[/quote]

Acid, vinegar or hydrochloric softens and dissolves calcium so can't fail. It may need more than one application as the acid gets neutralised by the calcium hence why it won't cause damage to a fosse.

[quote user="rowland"]We used to use Eparcyl and had the dark stain in the bottom of the pan until some friends suggested we use Tarax instead. After a couple of sachets the stain started to go. Hasn't gone completely but has certainly helped.[/quote]

Tarax seems to be a manufacturers name more than a single product. If the stain hasn't completely gone that suggests it one of the bleach based products which only whiten stains, you don't stain the porcelain you stain the calcium build up.  Tarax also seems to sell tablets for wc's to remove the calcaire and these will be similar to kettle descalers made from phosphoric acid, acid is the key as that dissolves the limescale, no limescale no stains.

Hello,

Thanks for all of your replies, I shall give them a try.

We actually live in England but it seems that EParcyl isn't very popular here, hence my question on this forum.

Our "tank" is set in chalk and according to the company that last emptied it in 2012, they think it probably leaks out causing it to not need emptying very often.

Does this mean that a product like EParcyl is even necessary for this sort of system?

I've never used Eparcyl and like many others, I thought it was freeze dried bateria or similar, now I know it is cleaver clay which makes more sense.  I have a holiday home and I always think that after a long weekend the bugs in the tank are just starting to wake up and get busy. I've only had my fosse emptied once in 15 years.

It's probably an urban myth but I was told that brewers yeast is good for the fosse, this yeast is found in real ale and (this is the bit I like) it is even better if it has passed through the human digestive system [B]

We live somewhere very rural without lots of houses around us, so I'm not sure if leaking is as bad as it would be elsewhere.

I'm just curious to know if using EParcyl will benefit us at all or if we're just wasting our time (and staining our toilet!).