Je suis Charlie...or not?

Sunflower

OK, I didnt know that, I havnt been following the story in detail, I saw the pictures of the body (bodies) and later a photo of what was said to be their home, it looked like middle class suburbia after the blitz.

I see your point that they were "safe" in Turkey, well so are the migrants in Calais but they all want more than being safe, not taking sides on whether they should be allowed to cross the channel but there is no question that they are living in terrible conditions and many are desperate enough to risk their lives attempting the trip.

I know if I were in Turkey with my family "safe" but probably without a roof over my head, probably eating from the charity soup kitchens I would be trying to get myself and my family to the UK or even better Canada, it was a tragic accident but what good does it do to pillory the father, I'm sure that he is suffering enough as it is.

My father walked from the Northeast of England to the South during the depression, he too was an economic migrant but also an orphaned homeless juvenile, the Salvation Army were his salvation and became his family.

I sent a truckload of stuff to the jungle in Calais this weekend (wasnt able to go but will next time) for humanitarian reasons, I thought long and hard about several divers wetsuits that I have going spare, for those desperate enough to try the crossing in a rubber dinghy they might be a life saver, alternatively they would make good firelighters or could be sold for food money, my friend organising the convoy said not to donate them as it would seem like we (the French) wanted rid of them.

There was no outrage about the murder of Naji Al-Ali for his cartoons. It seems only certain deaths are worth protesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naji_al-Ali

Edit - another more contemporaneous example: http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/01/no-outrage-for-palestinian-cartoonist-who-was-arrested-and-jailed-in-israel/#

[quote user="Sunflower"]There was no outrage about the murder of Naji Al-Ali for his cartoons. It seems only certain deaths are worth protesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naji_al-Ali

Edit - another more contemporaneous example: http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/01/no-outrage-for-palestinian-cartoonist-who-was-arrested-and-jailed-in-israel/#[/quote]

Your desire to be outraged is obvious, but what you forget is that because of the coverage everything gets today on the internet; and 24 hour rolling news,  news is much more available. When Naji Al-Ali died very few people had computers, also since then newspaper reporting has changed, in 1987 the newspapers reported incidents, now days they anticipate the news and therefor tend to over elaborate stories. Your desire to seek conspiracy theories everywhere, devalue your beliefs which I'm sure are valid in your mind.

Well you could consider him safe in Turkey, but if the story about returning to Syria is correct, his children were buried in Kurdish city, and I can assure ta=hat there are many Turkish Kurds who do not feel safe in Turkey, let alone Syrian Kurds.

I think there is much more to this story than has emerged as yet.

As for CH. I do not agree with much that they depict, but I still defend their right to depict it for as long as they do not breach the laws of the land.

(That's me off Sunflower's Xmas card list I guess.)

"When Naji Al-Ali died very few people had computers, also since then newspaper reporting has changed, in 1987 the newspapers reported incidents, now days they anticipate the news and therefor tend to over elaborate stories. Your desire to seek conspiracy theories everywhere, devalue your beliefs which I'm sure are valid in your mind."

I take your point re Naji Al-Ali but the second link is of a much more recent suppression of cartoon satire which occurred at the same time as the Charlie Hebdo killings. In this case the cartoonist was imprisoned rather than murdered yet zero coverage. You have also not mentioned my previous link - the outrage at the Sunday Times cartoon during Operation Cast Lead. This was most definitely in the era of the internet - and elicited a public apology from Murdoch himself.

Don't forget that, prior to the shootings, a cartoonist at Charlie Hebdo was prosecuted by Sarkozy when the target was Jewish.

I read an interesting article a few weeks ago after the sad death of

this tiny child. It mentioned that his father took the bodies of his

children back - to Syria - for burial. IF this was true, it does beg the

question, well, several, in fact, why he felt safe enough to return to

do that, yet not safe enough to remain there in the first place.

I saw a report on the Syrian burial of this child, with film footage, on Sky news and France24.

Regards

cajal