Nationwide - anyone kept a/c while living in France ?

chessie

Here's another 'high finance' question for you all !!

The advice about UK bank or building societies is to 'open whilst in UK' - then keep accounts open whilst living in France.   (Best bit of general financial advice ever).

I have a Nationwide savings account (not on-line banking);  can I keep using this whilst living in France;  would they accept my french address for receipt of statements etc ?

Don't want to upset present arrangements - but might have to...(long, long story and I won't bore anyone), but up-to-date info and advice would be very, very gratefully received.

Thank you - Chessie

Chessie,

Yes, though I did open it before I left the UK, and I do operate it mainly  online.  Printed statements come here OK, though they keep trying to make me have them electronically.  Fed each month by part of my pension income, to keep it live - and I also use my NW credit card (taken out before I came over) to purchase items here, and pay from UK account(s) - I have more than one UK bank account and kept them all open.

I could not open a regular savings account online once here though with Nationwide, but maybe you could by going back to UK to do it.

Personally, I no longer use it as my main UK account, as I dislike the telephone customer service, and I am unable to transfer money easily to France with them (if I decide to do it that way, before anyone tells me I am wrong to use the bank for currency exchange).  On the few occasions when I have had to use the bank to exchange (for a variety of reasons, not important here), I have found both my other banks easier to deal with, and also quicker.

Thank you - that's wonderful news.   Had a horrible feeling that if I made 'changes' I'd get the brusque response -

'Not living in UK, not entitled' - but it seems as though, once opened in UK (as I had done long before moving to France) they are then quite happy to accept you've moved out of UK, and will let you keep and continue the a/c - with no problems.

That is so, so reassuring - thank you very much for taking the time - greatly appreciated - and quite a bit of a weight off my shoulders, must admit.

Merci  - Chessie

As the others have said there is no problem in keeping both account(s) and the credit card open. But as with the other banks it is hard if not impossible to open a new savings account.  They would not let us open a savings account that gave a higher rate for "loyal customers" which really annoyed us!

The credit card gives a very good rate on purchases outside the UK. We use it anywhere but the Uk and a Barclaycard when in the Uk to make sure we do not lose that one.

Same here, opened the NW A/C specifically to use when we came in 2007 for the free cash withdrawals, sadly a thing of the past.

They are OK with a non UK address but won't send replacement cards there so they have to go to my daughter to be sent on but it's no big thing.

There is a loophole for online investments.

If

you have internet banking then once you are logged in the system assumes that you are UK resident so you can invest in their bonds etc. just as

if you were in the UK, whether they are worthwhile or not is another question !

Seems silly to have paper statements, what for ?

I get an email every month from NW telling me that my statement is available online but we do our own monthly reconciliation so only need them for cross referencing.

I don't think there is a "loophole" as, when I applied for a different investment, it came up with something like "we can see from your address that you live in France so you can't have this a/c".

Also, when renewing an existing bond I tried to split the sum being reinvested, it let me do the first part but not the second as it was deemed to be "a new investment" & therefore against their T&Cs. No amount of discussion, reasoning or pleading would change their minds - quite appalling treatment in my view for a long term customer trapped by their blind adherence to an unnecessarily strict interpretation of their rules.

Erns (Another°, I haven't had any problems with credit and debit cards sent out to France by Nationwide.

Alas, that loophole that we both used for opening a savings account on line is now, I believe, closed to us migrants!

You can, however, open a National Savings account.  Not on line, you need to print out the forms the first time and have someone verify your identity.  That's just for the first time because after that, you have your NS account number, and they are happy to take your money!

It was my local village branch (closed now) which told me that when we asked the question before leaving UK, maybe they got it wrong or maybe NW have changed policy, this was in 2007.

I've just received a new debit card via my daughter but next time one is coming up for replacement I'll contact them.

I used several local branches of NW whilst living in the UK and in every one I was told complete rubbish regarding any question of international banking. Local branches just do not have the staff with the right experience to give correct information. Even dealing with head office over email, they still sometimes will tell you something can be done and then when it comes to it, they say it can't. I think they just make it up as they go along :)

I opened my account at the Victoria St SW1 "branch", and later worked with the one then near Cavendish Sq (gone last time I walked past).  Maybe because they were central London they were more clued up internationally, though I accept some of the less city-based branches might not be quite so on the ball.

No, Ano, must be your local branch.  I have lived here since 2007 and have never had a problem with having debit and credit cards sent out.

Not only that, I have also moved house in France and no problem with changing French addresses either.

A staff member at our local branch of NW (in Eastbourne so not a small town) told us - when asked if we could fill in a form to get our interest gross - that it was not NW that deducted the tax but HMRC so we should contact them.

At that point we gave up - such ignorance is impossible to argue with.

I subsequently found out that none of the big banks will use the form for non-residents to get their interest gross. There is one, although I forget it's official reference number, and it is not the one that says "I am not a taxpayer" which one can use if living in the UK!

Up-date;  contacted Nationwide on-line customer services - and was met with extremely helpful, very courteous, very pleasant helpful response to my query.

Couldn't speak too highly of them;   got the answer I wanted, no problems - and provision of up-to-date statement requested by telephone, without any hassle.

Maybe the on-line staff are more clued up - but I was quite impressed.   And my problem's been solved.

But very, very reassuring to know that a/c wouldn't be closed due to no longer being a UK resident - big sigh of relief from me.

Always interesting to read comments - thanks for help.

Chessie

The good news is that from April 2016 banks and building societies will stop automatically taking 20% in income tax from the interest earned on non-ISA savings.

Official document about this can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/414026/Savings_factographic_final.pdf