Important - postal vote needs a stamp!

[quote user="Mrs KG"]Hi Sue,

Just thought that I'd let you know that our papers arrived today...[/quote]

Mine arrived last Monday, having taken 4 days (well 3 days as there was a Sunday in between) to get here, OH's arrived this lunchtime having taken 8 days. They were both posted on the same date.

But I am just relieved that they got here at all as it means we can have our say on what is such a very important issue.

Sue

I have already voted. I didn't trust the prepaid envelope so I put the whole thing into a different one. The woman at La Poste confirmed my suspicion that the packet was overweight. It might be worth checking yours if you are doing the same as me.

How can it be overweight if there is no indication of a tariff on the envelope? I can't believe the UK government would risk sending out millions of overseas postal voting packs (for the first time with paid return postage) without ensuring the various countries would cooperate. The awful thing is you will never know whether your vote arrived and was subsequently counted!

I read today or maybe yesterday ( Edit : in the Midi Libre) that the postmaster General or whatever he's called in France had sent out instructions to every post office in the France to ensure safe passage for all referendum envelopes.

I thought, they realise that almost all will be voting to stay in, so let them pass without check or hindrance!

[quote user="Kong"]How can it be overweight if there is no indication of a tariff on the envelope? I can't believe the UK government would risk sending out millions of overseas postal voting packs (for the first time with paid return postage) without ensuring the various countries would cooperate. The awful thing is you will never know whether your vote arrived and was subsequently counted![/quote]

Kong, I agree, they'll pay whatever the cost is.  And, as you have said, no way of knowing if your vote will have arrived in time or will be counted.

It's good though that they have extended the deadline for registration.  I couldn't imagine the horror of not being able to register just because the website crashed! 

Sorry I didn't make myself clear Kong. I didn't try to use the Freepost - I put the whole thing inside another envelope which took it over the weight of an ordinary letter. I was trying to warn other people who may try the same thing.

I have very little faith in a Freepost from France to England being handled properly.