Nice, 14th July 2016

As always it the families of the victims who suffer, and as always I think of all the attacks, in France of course but also Orlando, Baghdad, Istanbul etc.

Unfortunately I can't see what immediate defence is possible against such violence by individuals with improvised  'weapons' In this case the alleged driver of the  Lorry was unknown to the security services, and it would be impossible to forbid access everywhere.

I had been half expecting something on the 14th July but thought that the crowds at the Tour de France were a target.

With hind sight I suppose that the spectators at the many fireworks displays were an equally easy prey.

I thought that the 100th commémorations of the Battle of the Somme here might be a target but for obvious reasons never voiced that, having seen and lived through the 100% 48 hours security lockdown being buzzed by a helico and stopped by some very serious looking black clad and armed commandos for doing a thoughless bêtise typical of me I learned that my view was shared by the authorities, there was a very serious threat, not helped by the newspaper bords saying that Kate and William sleep at Amiens tonight [:'(]

I had a meeting with the commandant of the gendarmerie on Tuesday, he told me that even the two smaller commémorations later this month at Mametz (already happened) and Pozieres will have equal security presence and that his guys are spread very thin and sure enough on the 7th the roads were blocked and the skies buzzing with hélicos, on the 23rd once again people wont even be able to leave their houses without a laissez passer which they only invite people to apply for when its already too late.

I also feared for the football tournament and the tour de France. Truth be known they could do the same thing in any tiny village like mine on le 14 Juillet and it would be just as meurtrier and have just as big an effect on the population, maybe even more.

I don't think the Battle of the Somme would be a target for moslem terrorists. Many moslems died there although there is no knowing what twisted ideology these modern extremists think.

Part of their power is their unpredictability.

Hoddy

It was all the heads of state that were known or pretty sure to be there, I would not talk about it before but there were William, Kate and Harry in attendance, it was thought that the Queen and Prince Phillip and/or Charles and Camilla would be there, the latter couple attended the 90th anniversary.

David Cameron, Francois Hollande etc etc etc.

In fact one pair of the elder royals was definitely scheduled to be there but the plan was changed at the last minute due to intelligence recieved.

There were even anti-aircraft batteries set up  around the perimeter[:-))]