Weather Nouvelle Aquitaine

idun

There was a heat wave last summer in France, but I am wondering what the weather was like in the Bordeaux region.

I have recently been told that it was as hot as usual, but nothing especially hot and no heat wave....... is this right????

We were not there much this summer, but friends who live there permanently moaned quite a lot about the variability of the weather and how different it was to normal.

I'm sure others will give first hand experiences.

NB bu**er all on the walnut trees around our house this year but lots just a few kms away on the Route de Noix.

The only thing I've heard about the weather in that region, and right across into Occitanie, where we live, is that it's been a disastrous year for the grape harvest. Mainly due to a heavy frost during Spring, followed by prolongued hot dry weather.

The only exception is our dept, the Gers, which somehow avoided the frost and has had an excellent grape harvest.

You must live in a different part to me! In fairness Nouvelle Aquitaine is a big region and the weather can be totally different from one part to another. The climate in Bordeaux tends to be bit milder..not so hot in summer and not so cold in winter, due to its proximity to the sea. My recollection of summer is that it was average. We certainly had some very hot days in August, a few storms, a cool two weeks in September and lately some lovely mild and sunny October days.

I agree, Lindal.  Never mind Nouvelle Aquitaine, the Dordogne alone is a very large area.  Recently, someone told me that it is the size of Belgium.

Walked in warm weather in the Périgord Noir area mid October where it was still very much summer.  Last Sunday, however, spent the day in Nontron (art exhibition) and it rained all day (horrible fine wet chilling rain) but when I got home (less than an hour) I found that it was sunny and hardly a drop of rain had fallen. 

I have found a noticeable difference both summer and winter between my present location in the Dordogne and my previous location in the Charente Maritime, with the CM being less hot and less cold.

I apologise. I just sort of assumed that "Summer" meant around July/August. We came back on September 18th and I'd been in France since July 8th. Sounds like late September/October were nice, but in my bit of the Charente Maritime the neighbours were joking that they hoped I wasn't staying too long, as I often bring rain and they wanted to get on with farming jobs that required dry weather.

I cleaned the pool this year exponentially more than I ever swam in it, wore jeans at least as often as I wore shorts, and sat in the drizzle watching the Circuit dès Remparts and stood in the same spot for seven hours to watch the Tour de France without getting sunstroke.

However, as others have said, Nouvelle Acquitaine is big. In fact, it's 12.5%of France.

I can only refer to the Gers, where we live. Since we came the summers have always been in general long hot and sunny, with a tendency to drought. But there seems to have been an increase in the temperatures, and a reduction in the rainfall, with each year.

We have a large pond, a mare , in our garden, which always used to be full at the end of winter.  Lots of frogs and other wildlife. But this last year it has never filled up and the wildlife has departed. Many parts of the SW have had water restrictions this summer as the rivers and reservoirs are so low.

No drought where I am.  In fact some of the gear they use for watering the crops have not even been set up.  Some watering but only for a very few days.  No water restriction either.

Had spells of dry weather well interspersed with days of rain.

Very warm for maybe 3 weeks.  Mind you, I only estimate "very warm" if I have to move to the bedroom in the sous-sol!