What does France have but the UK does not ?

I don't know the average price for a rental in Paris but I know a 2 bed flat in Battersea is £2000 per calendar month and £600-£900 per month for a room in a house, Take home salary of a band 5 nurse is around £1500 per month.. maybe a bit more with shift allowances..but not great, and a nurse earns more than the minimum wage. Plus add on bills, and fares etc to the costs.

You have a better standard of living as a nurse in the countryside in France and the Uk because rents are much cheaper and salaries are only slightly lower. Perhaps not so exiting for a younger person..

It was always like that though. I lived for years in London barely scraping above the minimum income level once I'd paid all my bills. I moved out, took a job with initially a lower salary, moved from a 1 bed flat to a small house, had no travelling to get to work.. and hey presto..I could actually afford to do things!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 2 bed in Paris costs between 2000-2500 euros a month depending on where you are and the type of place. Bit of a luxury a 2 bed for a nurse I guess in Paris unless you sharing but the flat will be small. On the fringes of Paris that will go down to 1500-2000 euros.

It is difficult to compare a Band 5 nurse and the French equivalent but looking at the French salaries it is about 20,000-22,000 euros Brut.

So after tax I guess the French nurse is less well off or near enough the same. I should imagine it is about the same ish. Would be interesting to find out.

The cost of living in Paris is probably higher than London....well accept for transport.

I think in terms of rent and salaries it is about the same for a nurse or similar. I disagree that the cost of living in Paris is higher though.. I can never believe how much it costs just to get out of the door in London. Either way, to be a healthcare professional in any big city is pretty difficult. When I worked in London all my colleagues were Australians on their working holiday visas. They used to rent a small house between about 20 of them, take it in turns to sleep in the bed, do their 2 years and then go off somewhere else.

"I have always said, if you want to move to France for a 'French' life then move to a city or large town.That is 'French' living."

Well, we just go round in circles on this don't we. To me, city living is city living and a French city is not so different from a UK city except for the language and the nuts and bolts of life. Yes every city is different but at the end of the day - Marseilles/Birmingham, Lille/Leeds, Tours/Oxford... you can pair them up.

In any country it's the regions that have their own character. After all what is "French"? The regions not just French, they're specifically Breton, or Occitan, etc. Just like what is "English" - is it Wiltshire, is it Yorkshire, is it Cornwall, is it Surrey? That's why I find it absurd when folk ask what part of France is best to move to, because it's such a personal choice and yes you're right albf, if you choose the wrong one then can be hard to fit in. But if you like cities and you move to a city, you have a good chance of being happy enough

Shows how long you've been away, ALBF. Renting in many parts of the UK is not a lifestyle choice anymore, it's the only option. A whole generation of people is progressing through life in the knowledge that they're unlikely ever to get a foot on the property ladder. Renting is a way of life. As Lindal says, plan B is to buy or rent in a place you may not want to be in order to reduce your costs, in the hope of saving enough to buy at some far-off point later on. But often that's not an option if you have exorbitant transport costs to get to your place of work.

Yep, fair points ET.

It is indeed a silly question to ask what is the best place to move to in France. "We are thinking of the Dordogne or the Limousin or maybe Brittany". "What do you think" ?

Personally I could holiday anywhere in France. But to live, I can only think of two places. Paris and where I live now. Whilst I love skiing, can't see myself living in the Alpes. Rural.....hmmmm maybe the Vosges. If you go rural you may as well go rural.

That is why I have never understood why the British keep moving to the same regions/towns/villages. I know I keep banging on about it, but there is no logic to it. Everyone is different so you think there would be an even spread across the country. I mean Americans tend to be equally spread out. So what is with the British ?

You've answered your own question anyway..

"Personally, I could.....etc. blah blah same old sameold"

Which bit of the idea that your personal lifestyle choice is just that, and others feel differently is so hard for you to grasp? And is your life really so empty that you have to fill it by trying to understand the choices made by people you've never met and are never likely to?

There was a person on this forum (and many others) with extremist atheist tendencies who used to spend an inordinate amount of time flitting from forum to forum starting threads challenging people with religious beliefs to prove to her that God existed. I see your mission here as being equally futile.

We are not all the same. If I move to Birmingham next week and find myself living in the same street as someone who, like me, was born in Bolton, that is not an indication that we both gravitated there to be close to each other. Any more than any of the dozen or so Brita in my village here came here to huddle together for warmth. It just is. Get over it.

And yes, this subject has been done to death.

But when I read some posts and see how long folks have been in France and then the things said.......... I still wonder  'why' they moved there in the first place, or remain (does ALBF wonder too)........ And why they didn't 'think' about living a life in another country before the move.

And maybe I wouldn't 'wonder' so much if certain questions were not asked, not just a question for me, but flags up a failing to get to grips with french life.

For me, I was young and completely ignorant about France and it didn't matter one bit, we could easily have moved on if it had not suited us, or had not managed to do all we needed to do in every day life.