The real problem underlying the 5th December strike

Most of the people striking on that day will be fighting to maintain their special status work contracts with relatively early retirement dates and comfy retirement packages including index linked pensions. (There are one or two exceptions).

All of which are paid for out of direct taxation. There is no national pension fund established over many decades to pay pensions; in this France is almost unique in the world.

And herein lies the problem; forty years ago or more when these schemes were set up there were about 4 taxpayers for every pensioner but, big but, now there are only something like 1.7 taxpayers per pensioner and that number is falling as the post war bulge works its way through the system.

So, basically, everyone has to work longer or accept lower pensions as the tax take cannot rise indefinitely.

So, we will have long and disruptive strikes simply to put off or protest about the inevitable. Bol*ox!

A big head of steam building for Thursday 5th as the following groups go on strike, bang their drums, wave their flags and perhaps burn a few shops:

SNCF, RATP, Air France, contrôleurs aériens, EDF, poids lourds, raffineries, enseignants, étudiants, policiers, avocats, magistrats, éboueurs…

Mainly because there will be a new pension regime which means that the vast number of special regimes will no longer be subsidised by the taxpayer, to the tune of 8billion a year.

And then on Saturday it is the turn of the Gilets Jaunes, again, though they seem to have got much of what they wanted materially, anyway. Of course, the Black Bloc casseurs will probably be there too to give the police some exercise!

Our BA flight from Marseille to Heathrow tomorrow evening has been cancelled; I was told by BA when I phoned their helpline that it’s due to French air traffic controllers going on strike tomorrow.

We’ve had a look at a few flights due in at Heathrow tomorrow evening around the same time as our flight was due to arrive from other places such as Spain, but all were shown as taking place. Odd.

We’re now rebooked on the late morning flight on Wednesday, having decided to leave as planned tomorrow and we’ll stay at an airport hotel overnight, preferring not to make an early start tomorrow.

Yes, Norman, and thanks, most interesting. I think the case is made for a thorough reform of the system which costs the taxpayer less in the long run and which, maybe, accesses some of the billions held on reserve by some of the funds. As well as examining how all the funds are run and smoothing out the bumps.

I read that the Minister has assured the police that their pensions will not change. So I suppose that means that they can carry on beating protesters up without worrying about their own futures. Smart move by the government? Dear oh dear.