Georges Freche

Gardian

For those who aren’t aware of this man, Freche was a larger than life politician, who was mayor of Montpellier for a number of years and who was the driving force behind the city’s commercial expansion over the last 30 years.

It’s the 10th anniversary of his death in 2010 and the Midi Libre published a quite comprehensive supplement to Saturday’s paper. It was an interesting read.

Now you don’t become such a powerful figure without ruffling more than a few feathers and Freche would undoubtedly have had plenty of political enemies.

I was just wondering whether anybody has a view on the man? I’ll bet that you have, Norman !

He was powerful because he wasn't afraid to practice "pork barrel" politics.
If you supported him you got a good deal if not you were totally frozen out.
He was an egocentric bully, who wasted a lot on vanity projects.

nomoss reminds me of the story that first he wanted  to rename the Region "Septimanie";  then he wanted to  rename all  the lycées after political figures he admired; and finally he wanted to rename the Mediterranean

La Mer De Frèche   (say it out loud)[:D]

[quote user="NormanH"]
He was powerful because he wasn't afraid to practice "pork barrel" politics.
If you supported him you got a good deal if not you were totally frozen out.
He was an egocentric bully, who wasted a lot on vanity projects.

nomoss reminds me of the story that first he wanted  to rename the Region "Septimanie";  then he wanted to  rename all  the lycées after political figures he admired; and finally he wanted to rename the Mediterranean

La Mer De Frèche   (say it out loud)[:D]

[/quote]

[:D]

Another thing I remember was the propaganda magazine which used to appear in or mailbox, I think it was each quarter, entitled "Le Septimanie", and which always contained about a dozen pictures showing him participating in an event, or presenting or receiving an award.

I remember the hullaballoo when he died, but must concur with your thoughts about him, NormanH, though I do not (and did not then it was early days here for me) study politics to any great extent, and we only moved into the Herault that year, but I know many others like him in local politics, one of the reasons why some places work better than others.