Ferries to France

michaelsmum

I'm looking at coming to France with my family next year and we would like to come by Ferry.

St Malo is the obvious port as we would like to stay in Brittany but on every Ferry site I have looked at it seems the travel time is horrendous.  I have found a "short" time of 6 hours but I cannot imagine entertaining young children for that long!

Am I being really dumb? Does it really take so long to cross that bit of water??!

Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Why not go overnight from Portsmouth ....put the kids down in a cabin as soon as you get aboard ...wake up ... have breaakfast..drive off  fresh . and save the cost of a hotel  room perhaps ?  that way you dont have to entertain them ..and....yes ...its a long ride over to St Malo  unless you take the vomit comet (fastcat ) ..

I have 4 children and regularly travel the 20.30 hr Portsmouth-St Malo route about 6 times per year (12 times per year if you count going back again as well).

I ALWAYS take the night ferries.  The day ferries work out really expensive because you have to keep the little ones occupied e.g children's clubs, meals, shopping etc.  You need to book in plenty of time so that you get a cabin.  I have done the crossing with recliner seats and it's pretty horrendous with young children.  Check it out for yourself but Brittany Ferries have a good cancellation policy so you can advance book with peace of mind.

The fast cats are vomit-a-minute boats.  I did it once and NEVER again.  I had all 4 very ill.

The very best return jouney is the 23.30hr crossing from Caen to Portsmouth (there is only a day crossing from St Malo).  The little darlings are absolutely knackered and fall asleep immediately you get to the cabin.  Booking two singles (Portsmouth-St Malo outward and Caen-Portsmouth back) does not cost a huge amount more than a return.

I always adminster sea sickness tablets waiting in the queue, just in case.  If they don't like swallowing tablets, place it into a banana or a soft honey roll and they just chew it down.  The tablet has the added advantage of making them drowsy and so they sleep better on the crossing, even if it is rough.

The Brittany Ferry boats are very robust and it takes a pretty strong gale to rock it badly e.g. one Gale 9 crossing in February but that's only one crossing out of, say, 30 journeys that I've done.  I now check the weather forecast (BBC 5 day Atlantic pressure charts) and, last year in mid winter, transferred at the last minute to another date with only a small admin charge (£25 I think they charged me).

I can honestly say that the journey goes very quickly on the night crossings.  If you can trust leaving your children in the cabin (I can't but leave my husband with them), you can go to the caberet in the bar - the Abba lookalike group has to be seen to be believed.  Nice legs but shame about the voices...

Try Condor fast catamaran from Weymouth to St.Malo which including stops at two channel islands to unload passengers and vehicles takes only 5.5hrs and is much cheaper than the conventional ferries.The shortest crossing I seem to remember is Portsmouth to Cherbourg but then you have a long drive down that peninsula. You could always fly and hire a car?

• 2 weeks later...
Iv'e been on the catamaran to St'malo from Weymouth and the Poole to Cherbourg,For me the Poole to Cherbourg is the best its only a couple of hours and your there.The Weymouth to St'malo one stopped at guernsey for 2 hours that was a real drag of a place no where to get a cheap breakfast for us and the kids.St'Malo is a lovely place.Last year we went Portsmouth to Lehavre and bought bulk tickets on Ld lines takes a lot longer but its cheap.Both Condor and Brittany Ferries are a total rip off.