French travel insurance

Llantony

Your UK policy is very unlikely to cover you if you are French resident.  Get it in WRITING if they say they do (mine said it would but when I asked for it in writing retracted).  AGF do reasonable cover for individual trips, or check with the airline you book with.  The USA is usually more expensive than elsewhere because of medical costs there.

For Europe I just use a combination of CA Gold Card and strangely my motoring insurance (Assistance Mondial) which offers a fairly comprehensive repatriation service and other aid however you are travelling.

Enjoy the holiday.

Traveled to USA last year and when looking into travel insurance, we were told by the bank (credit agricole) that because we had paid with our CB card we were covered with travel/medical insurance. The only thing in question then was lost luggage, but after checking with airline we found we were insured within the price of our tickets.

As for your annual UK insurance - you can probably just bin it... I know this from experience when first moving to France. After we had been here a month, we we called back to the UK because a death in the family. To cut a long story very short, I took ill, was taken into hospital and there I remained for 6 weeks. My husband ended up staying in a B&B for the six weeks. When we returned to France, we telephoned the insurance company and asked if they could help with the costs and the short answer was a big fat resounding NO as we were no longer living in the UK. Even though we took out the policy whilst living there it made absolutely no difference

Thanks for advice.  We don't have a bank card with our Credit Agricole account but I've heard these 'free' policies don't cover everything, e.g. delays.  I assumed our UK policy won't cover us even tho we still have a UK address as we live in France and want to insure against e.g. missing the flight from Gatwick if the EasyJet from Toulouse was cancelled.

The card insurance is far from 'free' as the card costs about 90€!  You get a reduction based on card usage though.  However, CA specifically said that they felt the insurance cover for medical bills in USA was not enough and proper travel insurance should be taken.  Insurance for stuff like missing planes is not bad but you need to check the conditions.

We are going to the UK for a week and I usually use JS insurance as they are reasonable and cover EU residents. They cost of the insurance was about £10 BUT when I phoned the health check number to declare our high blood pressure as usual I was told that there was now a charge - £10 each! After checking our various  cards it seems that we only needed repatriation cover. I ended up with  a French company ACS AMI. Their charges for short haul destinations are very reasonable. They are not scaled by age and there are not extra charges to cover our (stable) high blood pressure.