New Year in Paris

Repulse

We are spending New Year in Paris with my daughter and husband from Australia. We have a meal booked for New Years Eve but nothing for New Years Day. Anyone spent NYear there and got any suggestions ? A nice restuarant and not necessarily french. Have searched the net to no avail. Only thing I can find is boat on the river at 300 euro each for a mediocre meal !

Am originally from Paris and on New Year's Eve you would be advised to be on the Champs Elysees on the stroke of midnight, lots of champagne is drunk and the ambiance is just magic. On New Year's day people recover from partying so why don't you plan a nice walk from the Eiffel Tower via Arc de Triumph down the Avenue, along the Louvre and the quay sides all the way down to Notre Dame and the Latin Quarter where you will find loads of places to eat.

Champs Elysées is not a bad location - it's lit up nicely at this time of year, but I've been to many restaurants on and just off this street, and it's always very hit and miss. Sometimes the food, prices and service is appalling, and other times you get lucky.

I went to the Bel Canto recently (http://www.lebelcanto.com) where the food is nice and you're entertained with opera singers who come and sing every 15 minutes. There's two in Paris - I went to Hotel de Ville, though I've heard the one in Neuilly is nicer and set inside an old theatre.

I've just booked my flights for Paris NYE this year and am so excited! Me and 3 of my best friends will be celebrating this year in the capital as its one of my friends 30th Birthday as well! I can imagine it is going to be one VERY expensive but equally amazing trip! We wanted to go somewhere different and we were inspired by an article that we read online about the 10 places you should celebrate New Year once in your life. Most of the places were really far away like Sydney or Thailand but then we read Paris and thought thats one the one! We've booked an apartment in the Latin quarter for 3 nights as well so hopefully we should be fairly near to all the celebrations!

I wanted to ask though, can anyone recommend some good restaurants to go to perhaps the night before NYE? We would obviously book in advance but that is the night of my friend's 30th so we want to surprise her with a really nice meal somewhere! It doesn't matter if its a bit further out either... Cheers!

Hi Laroux,

La fourmi ailée is quite a nice quirky place and not expensive, just around the corner from Notre Dame. Seems to bypass a lot of the tourists.

I've also had a nice meal at Le Petit Prince close to Le Pantheon, again with reasonable prices, and good food. http://www.lepetitprincedeparis.fr/menu-25-anglais.php