Oradour-sur-Glane

JohnRoss

I do not know of any hotels in the area,but my wife and I visited Oradour once.VERY moving indeed.We did not see all of it.We did buy the official booklet describing the terrible massacre which made sad reading.

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1278094/ShowPost.aspx

You might like to read through the above thread (you need to cut and paste the link).  Although not about accommodation, it gives a number of reflections about the village.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]

Thanks for all the info folks. I note Michelin lists these as well, any experiences?.........JR
LOGIS Auberge la Source 6.8 km
Citotel Saint-Junien L'azur 7.9 km
LOGIS Hôtel au Rendez-Vous des Chasseurs 8.4 km
INTER-HOTEL LE BOEUF ROUGE 11.1 km
[/quote]

Le Bouef Rouge is in the centre of St Junien on a decorative roundabout (sculpture of dragonfly & waterfall :-) )

It has a strange layout but the rooms are OK and the restaurant is good - it also has a swimming pool

Citotel Saint Junien L'azur appears to be on the industrial park in North St Junien-  not ideal surroundings, but if you just want the hotel for the facilities and not the view of the bypass...................

Hotel au Rendex-vous des Chasseurs - never been in but situated in the country on the route to Bellac, a few houses in the hamlet and not a really busy road, by French standards

Several here with up to date prices:

http://reservation-hotel.logishotels.com/jreservit/quickadvsearch.do?action=advsearch&external=true

My old Routard, which we still use frequently, lists 2 of them, although prices are out of date in it:

Le Rendez-vous des Chasseurs, 2 star, ''renowned for gourmet menu.''

Le Relais de Comodoliac, 2 star, modern building, pleasant feel to it. ''Cooking well-prepared using the freshest ingredients, changing with the seasons. Prices fair, quality above average for the region. Ask for a table on the terrace.''

Le Relais de Comodoliac

Forgot about that one - situated in large gardens, great restaurant - rooms are fine - situated on the edge of the town near the Vienne.

Also has a buffet at lunchtime in a different room to the restaurant, which is usually packed with the local workers.

http://www.booking.de/searchresults.html?aid=303948;label=germany;sid=739b7c1b0c5d0adc5d4e240168ce0171;class_interval=1;idf=1;mr=1;offset=0;si=ai%2Cco%2Cci%2Cre%2Cdi;ss_all=0;;city=-1455966;origin=disamb

The Booking.com website usually has a good selection of reviews if checking out a destination

Brian (again)

(We stayed at the Boeuf Rouge several years ago - seemed ok then but of course things can change over the years)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information and we spent a couple of days there this week. Tried the Relais Comodoliac at Saint Junien which was very good, staff pleasant,  good food and comfortable rooms. Rather hot weather so walking round the village was a bit of an effort however a very moving experience. How these SS officers got off in the name of French unity despite a trial when guilty verdicts were passed is almost beyond belief. Something to do with being Alsacian and friends in high places no doubt! As previous posters have also said it was a pity that youngsters, and in particular the German speaking teenagers we saw, though I am glad they were finding out what was done by their grandfathers, did not feel they could show some respect by not joking and laughing loudly at the visitor centre. A visit we will not forget.........................JR

See http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x107gr_oradour-sur-glane 

PS

Quite apart from the alleged reason that the Alsacian perpetrators of this crime were in the main let off after the trials so that Alsace would not move towards splitting off from France the stories about why it happened are puzzling. On the one hand we have the story of two German soldiers killed due to Resistance action and a planned reprisal to make the Maquis think again before doing anything similar. On the other we have the even more complicated story of the capture of a high ranking German officer by the Resistance and the two French informers giving information which led to the Germans attacking the wrong village. The whole thing seems to be the subject of a cover-up. Why and who did it benefit? Had the members of the Vichy government not in prison some influence still?................JR 

• 1 year later...
We stayed at xxx, St Junien, last year prior to an early morning visit to Oradour.

Awful.

We booked long distance (we were at Millau Bridge), and asked for a quiet "luxury" room. Got there at after grub time, by 5 minutes, room was on the main route and sweltering. No rear rooms?? Opened windows while lugging baggage half a mile from the car park through the internal labyrinth, searched for the aircon (in the room guide but not in room!) while rustling up a cuppa and sandwich while waiting for the mopeds to go home - room still sweltering.

Dozed off till 3am when the local factory staff started rolling, close windows, room swelters further.

Open windows, refridgerated transport arrives and parks under bathroom window, running for an hour.

At le bonheur, we pack and go to reception to complain.

Madamoiselle is un-interested, patron on holiday. I pointed out that sleep was largely the requirement when booking a bed for the night, and that it was nigh impossible in our unventilated cupbard size room. Paid full price and contacted the chain, from whom I am still awaiting a response.

Avoid.

A plus though was that we got to Oradour before opening, had a coffee and croissant, before being first in, and seeing it in all its awful poignancy, without any company. Totally moving.

Post edited by the moderators in accordance with the forum Code of Conduct:

"There is to be no 'naming

and shaming' on the site. If you have any complaints about particular

individuals/companies then contact the relevant parties or authorities."

Please contact the moderators of you have any question regarding this edit.

@JR

The locals focus on the "malgré-nous" accusation rather than national politics.

http://zecancres.free.fr/contenu/cours/LCR/les%20malgres%20nous.pdf

There is still hatred towards them in haute vienne to this day. The harsh treatment immediately after the end of the war may have contributed to political reconciliation but not limousin.

Oradour, an interesting symbolism which I classify together with visits to the Siege of Leningrad Memorial, the ghetto in Warsaw and the Auschwitz-Birkenau complex.