Speedferries-a warning!

Blair

I booked friday crossing months ago. Due to work commitements, I needed to change to the later boat. I have spent 3 days and about 400 phone calls to get through to the call centre, its constantly engaged or a recorded message saying "all our agents are busy, call later" that then cuts you off-no option to just hold and wait. Finally got through today and was thrilled to speak to a human being-that is until they told me that to change the booking would be a 10 amendement charge-fine, clearly states that on website and confirmation- but ALSO a surchage based on the difference between the price that I booked at and the price if I was booking today-96 !!!!!! to cross 4 hrs later. So not 10 but 106. Am very very angry and am going to contact trading standards. In the meantime-be careful!

I agree, you are justified in being angry. I suppose it's the same as the budget airlines on which Speedferries says it bases its pricing policy. It just proves why they are cheap and that there's no such thing as a free lunch. Still, even at the much inflated price it's probably still cheaper and quicker than P&O.

Will (50)
Forum moderator

I can understand your anger but surely that's the whole idea of their pricing structure - if you book early you get a cheap fare, if you book late you pay more. By changing your booking you are, in effect, booking late. I can't see that contacting Trading Standards will help you - but by all means try.

I don't wish to sound sanctimonious or as if I am making excuses for Speedferries, just observing the other side of the story.

Graham

Did`nt you read the terms and cons before you booked,why do you think they`re cheaper than the norm ,sorry but it`s your own fault we all like a bargain but buyer beware!!!We have had great prices with them and stuck to the times, no probs.

?
-----------
Amendments
Bookings can be amended subject to availability by contacting the call centre by telephone during opening hours (please check call centre information). Please note that an amendment fee of 10 will apply and that if there is a difference between the original fare and the fare for the amended travel you must pay SpeedFerries the difference.

------------

Personally I can't see where any confusion might arise. Hardly hidden in legalese is it ?

There's been so much talk about the sharp practices of the ferry companies especially by the Sunday Times Jonathon......... who does the Green Fields article, which I find very amusing. He has the courage to try to stand up to them with their ridiculous pricing. It's possible to get five different prices from the same company for the same thing on the same day- how can that be allowed to happen. Think of a number, double it, add 100......!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Blair, for the warning. Having seen it, it occurred to me that it might be cheaper to shop around for the cheapest single crossing on the selected day and just use the return half of Speedferries. However, having just today returned by Fastferry hydrofoil, that would not work as you only get the return ticket when you book in at Dover!
In our haste to get a cheap crossing in school hols, we booked with Speedferries for morning of Sat 7th August and later realise that is THE day to avoid! (The 1st day of French hols) Not sure if I can face trying to change it for Sunday.
Maz