7 ton Box Van - Tacho required?

Redcap

Hello all,

I've been considering for some time now, moving our contents over to Brittany using hire van. I started out with intention of 7 ton, then we have whittled the house contents down quite a bit, so thought 3 1/2 ton would do. Now we're back to the 7 1/2 toner as we have purchased new settee etc.

I have been given what seems to be reasonable quote from Ryder at 402 for the 3 days fully inclusive insurance/breakdown, and brand new vehicles.

Whilst checking through the archives on the subject, I saw some posts that reckoned you need a tachograph and 'O' type licence for 7 tonner even for private use. I have to say that I have never come across this before, I checked with the hire company, who are National and well known and they insist that this is not the case. All of their leaflets etc, state that it is for business use only.

I will make some other enquiries at work as I don't want to be on the wrong side of the law!

By the way, I am also awaiting a quote from someone mentioned on this forum some time ago to move the contents by the name of Alex Day. Anyone used him recently, and happy? I think if so, you now have to send private message!

Regards,

Bob

LAST EDITED ON 19-Aug-04 AT 11:38 AM (BST)

I haven't had to do it for a couple of years, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't change (I hire frequently and the people I use are pretty chatty about legal changes) and although a tacho was fitted to the 7 1/2 tonner, I didn't have to use it and my standard driving licence was sufficient.

I'd go with the hire company advice

Hello All Welcome back!

Re the Tacograph question, most that have replied seem to think it OK without one, I think this will be the case in UK, although from what I have read vehicles over 3.5t should have one regardless, but is not enforced if not for hire/reward.  However, in France it seems to be a different story, where if you get the wrong Gendarme it will be enforced. I have also been advised to get a copy of the vehicle log book from the hire company, as well as a letter authorising named drivers.

So, to be on the safe side, I am going to stick a chart in the tacho, it's not as if it's difficult, even though the hire company(Ryder) still insist I do not need to!

I got a reasonable quote from Alec Day, but I told him we decided to do it ourselves.  He was very good and spent some time giving me advice as well as telling me to call him if I needed any further advice or help.  Seemed like a good guy!

Regards,

Bob (7.1: weeks and counting!)

Redcap this might go right over your head but I,ve traveled and worked all over europe driving artic,s and I can tell you now that a photo of the log book is no good here in france,you might get luckly if the copper who stops you in france is in a good mood and accepts them and then you will or maybe should have proof that the goods that are being carried are your own,last week I took 20 odd tons of milk from one side of france to another and not for the first time was amazed at the paper work,and just a word if you travel at night you will be stopped more!!!MrO

Thanks Mr O, I agree with you about the photocopy, all veh docs have to be originals, also in France unlike UK you have to carry all veh docs and that includes the log book, am I right?  I don't recall when I've hired cars before in France that they gave us the log book, so what is the situation if I'm stopped in a hire veh and I don't have this, thinking about it you don't have an insurance doc either, or is the hire agreement sufficient. So I'm a bit confused now about the document side of things, should I insist that I get the veh log book to take with me, I can't see them handing it over though!

Regards,

Bob

[quote]Thanks Mr O, I agree with you about the photocopy, all veh docs have to be originals, also in France unlike UK you have to carry all veh docs and that includes the log book, am I right? I don't recal...[/quote]

The Code De La Route States for hire vehicles a photocopy of the Carte Gris (log Book) is ok

Les

[quote]The Code De La Route States for hire vehicles a photocopy of the Carte Gris (log Book) is ok Les[/quote]

That is not the french way of doing things,the french coppers can demand the originals if they think something is amiss,and then there is the problem(maybe it,s making a mountain out of a mole hill)of the "bonnes"in france everything carried must be booked/logged and the bon de liverson must be filled in ortherwise who knows where it/they came from!I have had a hire trailer with the orginal doc,s so why not a 7.5tonner?and just to add about the tacho if you put one in make sure you follow the law on tacho,s otherwise the cop who may stop you will try and do you for any faults and who can blame them after all they are only doing there job.MrO

Hi everyone,

I've been renting cars to drive around La Belle over the past 4 years in my house hunting and I never noticed that there was a log book or carte gris in the car. I always had the rental documents which I imagine should be sufficient for any gendarme. Regarding the insurance I got a yearly car rental insurance - GBP49.90 far cheaper than the insurance the rental companies try to hang on your bill/credit card.

Another thing, can someone let me have Alec Day's phone number. It was in my inbox which got emptied in the change over.

Thanks

Coral - soon to be in Ariege

Good afternoon

Can't help with the tacho question but with regard to insurance and log book queries we hired a long wheelbase merc about 5 weeks ago in the UK to take furniture to our house in 58. We were given an original "green card" for the insurance and a VE103 form by the hire company. The VE103 is a substitute for the logbook and states that the vehicle is on hire, who from, and basic vehicle indentification numbers. Strangely in these days of heightened security we were not stopped by any of the authorities, either UK or French, for checks, etc. so cannot tell if documentation was well received or not. Hope this is of use.

Paul

I do not understand how a hire company can hire a 7.5 ton vehicle out to someone who does not have an Operators Licence,I had to study road transport operation and pass a City and Guilds before I could operate trucks in UK,Europe or Eastern Block.I had an O licence for 100 trucks,2 of which were 7.5 tonners and all had O licence discs in the windscreen(blue for uk domestic use,green for out of UK),also if a truck is fitted with a tacho it is there to be used ,after it is a commercial vehicule designed to carry a load,also drivers hours need to be kept to.

Thanks all for your responses. I shall ask hire company about VE103 etc, thanks Paul.  Kerbut, I seem to remember that quite some years ago the UK changed over to a new style(pink) driving licence and all the codes were revamped, I think this was when the 7.5t on normal car licence came in. (I may be wrong on this but something in the back of my mind)

It would seem to be a bit of a grey area, and in the UK the authorities seem to go along with the fact that private, not for hire/reward is OK on full car licence subject to age and when passed test (pre '97).  The same seems to apply with the tacho.

I have no experience of how it is in France, hence my starting this post.  I think I will actually use a chart to be on the safe side.  I understand that if I change my UK licence to a French one, I will lose my entitlement to drive 7.5t (So I won't be changing it,unless forced to by points etc!)

Finally, Kerbut you say you had to study etc before operating lorries, 100 was it?  Well quite right if you were operating as a professional driver, come on, a 7.5t truck, it's nothing these days compared with the skyscapers on wheels we see now!

Regards,

Bob