Brittany Ferries

Stocky

Just received an email from Brittany Ferries re their 2005 schedule.  No mention of Le Havre so be interested where those Ferries go.

Highlights for 2005 include:

• Two new high-speed services - Portsmouth to Caen and Portsmouth to Cherbourg, providing up to two return sailings a day from mid-March
  • New Portsmouth to Cherbourg classic ferry service from Jan to March
  • Bretagne to operate on the Plymouth to Roscoff route, providing even more comfort and capacity

All we need to see is how they price it.  Brochure available end November.

I have just checked the BF website

Routes show are:

Portsmouth to Caen
Portsmouth to St Malo
Portsmouth to Cherbourg NEW! for Spring 2004
Poole to Cherbourg
Plymouth to Roscoff
Plymouth to Santander
Cork to Roscoff

I then did a test booking for mid week travel to St Malo with an outside cabin to check the cost. This is what I got back

Price Breakdown

Outbound FerryNumber Price
Vehicle and Passengers   135.00 GBP
Outside 2 berth cabin with shower and WC1  
   49.00  GBP

Inbound FerryNumber Price
Vehicle and Passengers   111.00 GBP
Outside 2 berth cabin with shower and WC1  
   25.00  GBP

Total 320.00 GBP
Online Saving -5.00 GBP
Online Total 315.00 GBP

Can someone enlighten me as to why a cabin on the outbound leg is £24.00 dearer than on the return leg?

Oh and aren't they generous with their HUGE discount for booking online? Somehow I think not.

When I next return to the Brittany/Normandy area, I will be using Speedferries and will enjoy the four drive from Boulogne.

When I next return to the Brittany/Normandy area, I will be using Speedferries and will enjoy the four drive from Boulogne.

Thanks for the info David but are you sure it takes only 4 hours ?

Friends of ours thought they would come that way from Boulogne and took closer to six hours, than 4 hours to the Saint Malo region?

For what dates was that BF journey priced, other friends going next week to the UK for just a week are paying just over 500€ for the same type of travel.

November and over 500€ what will that make next summers peak fares cost?

I think you are right Miki, a friend tried to book for family to visit them and said it was over £300 and could only be cut by travelling on Tuesday. We are talking about November, not peak season

Boulogne is useless for me

A) I'm seasick

B)We go for long weekends, too much travelling time, out of the time available.

C) We are heading for Quimper, probably an 8 - 10 hour journey

D)Surely the chances of Speedferries craft actually running are not so good in the winter months - its a bit like having a £50 bet !

Surely the chances of Speedferries craft actually running are not so good in the winter months - its a bit like having a £50 bet ! -------------------------------------

Oh I don't know Gay, at least it's only a one horse race although hang on............ I guess it is the craft versus la mer and yep I guess my bullseye would be on the wrongun, so yes, it is like having a bet then !!

All I know about fastcraft's is, we have several British guests who arrive here, on the late arrival in to Saint Malo on the Condor "vomit comet" who say never again !!

In the example above I can't see any dates. Some days, e.g. Fridays and Saturdays are more popular, so cabins etc are dearer. It's a simple matter of supply and demand.

I'm sure Speedferries suits a lot of people. If I was to use it there would be another six hours on the French side, either way, with road tolls to pay, plus another 200 miles (at English diesel prices) each way on the British side. I have worked it out that I would save just under £20 over Brittany Ferries for most of the days I normally travel. That doesn't account for my time and stress levels, and vehicle wear and tear, or the lottery of whether or not Speedferries is actually running.

As I say, the Speedferries service seems to suit a lot of people but it's not for me. I like Brittany Ferries. Because most of my travel is for work, and hence tax-deductible, I don't need to be quite as economical as most other forum users. I also like the chance of shopping at Gun Wharf in Portsmouth before getting the boat, plus having a good rest on the ferry and an excellent meal, rather than extra driving. So no contest.

"I like Brittany Ferries. Because most of my travel is for work, and hence tax-deductible, I don't need to be quite as economical as most other forum users. I also like the chance of shopping at Gun Wharf in Portsmouth before getting the boat, plus having a good rest on the ferry and an excellent meal, rather than extra driving. So no contest."

Its allright for you Bill, as I have seen the prices offered by Brittany Ferries to those who live in France.  Offers are certainly better than UK. 

Unfortunately, although I have a daughter living 15 minutes from the Pompey terminal and hate the long run from Calais, I have to take the black lab into consideration.  A long haul in the car with regular stops is better than her being on her own in rough weather.  Either way we have to contend with the M25.

Summer when the Vomit Comets are running is our preference, but for our Xmas visit I'm afraid its the extra cost of Travel Lodge at Dover and Road tolls.  Not the cheapest way.

[quote]Just received an email from Brittany Ferries re their 2005 schedule. No mention of Le Havre so be interested where those Ferries go. Highlights for 2005 include: Two new high-speed services - Port...[/quote]

Sorry, but I cannot find anywhere that states that there will be a high speed service Portsmouth to Caen. Could you post a link please.

Many thanks,

Mark

If you look at the timetables (e.g. by trying to book) for next April onwards you will see an extra service, Fri Sat Sun only, 0700 from Portsmouth 1230 from Caen. This is the high speed service (though nothing on the site seems to indicate this).

By the way, I often check BF's French offers but invariably book via the UK site - the offers from France don't generally suit me. It seems to me to be a myth that you get better offers for journeys starting in France, I reckon it's the other way round.

The French equivalent is Cercle Voyageur, offering virtually the same range of benefits for similar fees. I find the Owners Club invaluable, we belonged to it when we had a holiday home and have kept up the membership now we live in France. As to whether it is worthwhile for you, I can't say - you have to do your own sums according to how often and when you travel. I agree though that you can easily recoup the fees on one peak-season return crossing alone.

I phoned B.F. to book some crossings for next year and when I received the confirmations, saw that they were charging £30 for a day cabin (that had been free this year or £5 if you wanted a window!). Also there was a £10 cabin discount (?) for the Whit crossing (always the dearest). When I went online when they finally put the timetable on and checked the same crossings, several were different AND the day cabins were free! Can anyone explain - I haven't rung them to ask them why yet but sometimes there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to their pricing structure.

Although they will deny it, BF work a flexible pricing structure like the airlines. We are Property Owners Club members, and although BF crossings are expensive they are pretty civilised if you get a cabin (none of the booze cruisers and smugglers you get on the shorter crossings) and the staff are good. If you choose the crossings (Bill knows the best value ones, I believe) you can travel a lot more cheaply, but like most people we tend to go out on Saturday, back on Sunday a week later - not the cheapest way to do it.