Cost of living in France

John

Re Health insurance. Please correct me  if I'm wrong but I believe one major difference in the health cover here and the private cover in the UK,is that they allow treatment on all ongoing health problems. I haven't found any disclaimers as in UK private healthcare  policies. I believe the UK policy providers main idea is to make a profit and if you have an ongoing illness that might cost them a few bob ,they refer you back to the NHS. Basically over here you do get what you are paying for.

Regards.

"Have you never noticed how little your retired French neighbours go out? It seems a particularly Brit trait to jump in the car every five minutes to go to the shops to buy the latest thing that you've just decided you can't wait for."

But Benjamin, what is this latest thing all these English people are leaping into their cars to go out and buy.... A new line in floral pinnies at the market? More broken toys from the Vide Grenier? I think we should be told...

Lisa[:)]

That's obviously me then Lisa - and you should see my line in pinnies.[:D][:D]  Now I'm off to see my friend - although she is French she may be becoming a Brit, cos like me she likes going out!  Don't see why it would make me a better person if I enjoyed being housebound, wherever I lived.

Benjamin, I've noticed it too with some of my English neighbours.

Not sure if it's down to lack of planning, excitement at being abroad or just habit 'cos that's what they would do at home.

Or of course maybe they just "like going out" [Www]

PS. I've also noticed it with Parisians so maybe it's a city thing [:)]

[quote user="LisaJ"]...what is this latest thing all these English people are leaping into their cars to go out and buy.... A new line in floral pinnies at the market? More broken toys from the Vide Grenier? I think we should be told...[/quote]

Don't forget the quilt covers with 'exotic' animals on them...[:D] French 'style'? I'll never work it out.

One thing that is a lot cheaper here (in France) is supermarket trolleys. Generally they cost only 1€ (though some places charge twice that - you need to shop around). I've got so many of the things now I'll have to start looking for some canal space to store them in.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]

One thing that is a lot cheaper here (in France) is supermarket trolleys. Generally they cost only 1€ (though some places charge twice that - you need to shop around). I've got so many of the things now I'll have to start looking for some canal space to store them in.

Ian

[/quote]Even better, Auchan will give you a free plastic token so you can perloin them for nothing.  They fit in everybody else's trolleys so you can collect a full set.[Www]

[quote user="Deimos"]..I've got so many of the things now I'll have to start looking for some canal space to store them in.[/quote]

Before sinking them, could you squeeze a few of these chaps and their relatives in?. People here would be richer in oh, so many ways, (cunningly refers back to the to the original topic) if they didn't have these items in their houses. Or is it a Brit thing too?

What is strange is how they seem to charge the same for the really old manky ones as for the shiny new ones. I always go for new ones -much better value for money. And the excellent customer service in France is so good that if you get a faulty one (jammed wheel or something like that) you just take it back and normally get a full immediate refund.

Ian

Tresco I have never seen such hideous things before, do people seriously have them hanging in their houses by you ? I would simply have to move.

We have brand spanking new trolleys now that have a drop down flap at the back to put a 6 pack of bottled water on, oh the technology.

For those inclined to support charity collections, buying batteries is great. I always buy an extra one or two and donate these to the collections boxes most supermarkets have. After all, when I get old and grey I will need batteries and will be dependant on the charity of others.

Ian

• 1 month later...

I am coming back to the Forum to ask a "BIG" question. As so many Brits retire to Spain, can you tell me why you chose to relocate to France ? We are thinking of Normandy, because we would not be able to stand the heat further south. What were the other reasons for chosing France? 

Hoping to hear from you all?

Not there permanantly yet, but will be within five years. We are in the Mayenne and chose the area because - It is rural like Cheshire. It is fairly central within Europe for travelling, Easy distance to travel back to UK to visit family and not too hot all year for husband!  We also did not want to be in a "Ghetto" situation with other Brits as we like the "behind the times" lifestyle of France and fully intend to be as French as possible. But we have been made very welcome and are really looking forward to full time occupation.

My reason : I've been coming here for 45 years and speak the lingo' - I cannot imagine going somewhere where I couldn't carry on a normal conversation with people I meet.  I just love this country, I always have.  Oh, and there's the little matter of this race meeting down the road next month...

[quote user="John"]I am coming back to the Forum to ask a "BIG" question. As so many Brits retire to Spain, can you tell me why you chose to relocate to France ? [/quote]We lived and worked in Spain before I retired.  Reasons for choosing France, not Spain, for retirement: (1) noise, (2) noise, (3) noise.  The Spanish can be charming people, but they don't seem to regard peace and quiet as being desirable in any way, or at any time.

Oh yes, and the heat.  Although that of course depends where you live; we were in Valencia, where the summers are brutal.

Reasons for France over Spain

I read the language well and speak it (after a fashion - "like a Spanish cow").  Spanish - can just about order a couple of beers.

Commutable at weekends (I am still working), whereas Spain would require flying or longer less frequent visits.

For me an optimal balance between better, warmer climate compared with the semi-desert with dust continually blowing around, that seems to be Spain in the summer (not in the cities I know).