mobile homes

benson

In a bid to increase our standard of living slightly this year we are investigating the purchase of a mobile home.

Does anyone have any info on transporting one from UK to France ie companies and costings  or alternatively where to purchase one in France (second hand) and delivery costs??

Thanks

Sounds as though you are in the same position as we are. We have been running away to cheap hotels in Spain for the last year.

I noticed an advert on the Living France home page- bottom right hand corner - sale of second hand mobile homes by Canvas Holidays. I havent done any research into good value or delivery charges but you might like to have a look.

It may well be worth contacting the Camping companies in France who are based in UK as they sell older homes at end of season and transportation costs will obviously be less. I used to work for Holidaybreak and I know they did sell them at one time. They are based at Northwich in Cheshire so it is worth a call to their Operations Dept to check. Sorry I do not have current telephone number. They should be around prices of Haven but from past knowledge would say they will be in better condition.

• 4 weeks later...

We have recently purchased a brand new mobile home in the Vendee Region. It can be difficult to find contacts on the net at a reasonable price, we also found that UK models were not gurenteed once it left UK shores (ABI). In the end we searched for sites which sold Mobile Homes, we have found a superb site which is open all year round. We have purchased an IRM (French Company) & the quality is excellent. It is more expensive than O'Hara etc but you get far more for your money & ours is fully insulated. Go careful with the ex holiday home models, you get what you pay for & they are budget models with thin walls & floors.

Feel free to contact me if you would like any more information, our Mobile is now our pride & joy.

Marc

As usual I see this sort of post about mobile homes or caravans and wonder how so many people can get permission to place such a thing on their land as a habitation. IF we were granted permission around here, for we would have to apply for permission, it would only be given for three months.

[quote]As usual I see this sort of post about mobile homes or caravans and wonder how so many people can get permission to place such a thing on their land as a habitation. IF we were granted permission arou...[/quote]

Am I missing something here?

What is your problem or issue?

Marc

As stated in my original post we are considering buing a mobile home.

There are 2 separate mobile homes in the next hamlet to ours which are perminantly sited on the owners private land and are lived in perminantly.

As We are a family of 5 (3 young kids) living 1/2 in an old caravan and 1/2 in the barn we are renovating we thought buying a mobile home would improve our standard of living a bit whilst we finish renovating.

Of course we would have to speak to the Mairie discuss the above said and obtain any relevant permis and pay habitation tax on the mobile home.

Teamedup does it really bother you that much what other people manage to accomplish/achieve when it doesnt effect you personally??

HI Benson

My good lady works for IRM in the Vendee. they are the biggest manufacturer in Europe, as I understand it.

If you have any question you need answering let me know and I'll do the asking for you..

Sounds like you need help .. like pronto.

I wouldn't bother bringing one from the UK there is literally no advantage to you.

Where in France are you?

Poolguy

Hendo, let's see what advice your good lady's company are passing on concerning the laws.

Our mairie told us that if  permission was granted then a mobile home could be installed as a habitation for three months and I had looked it up too when they had said this, and they were exactly right. The laws are there. Fortunately it isn't just dependant on the nod and wink of the Mairie, the DDE have a say too.

We were hard up when we were having this house built, but like everyone else in this village over the last 23 years who have renovated or built, we lived somewhere else whilst we were getting our house built, in our case we rented.

And yes, it would bother me if someone plonked one of these things on land  next to us. It would bother me if I was holidaying and saw these things randomly plonked around the countryside too.

I have nothing against camp sites or mobile home sites.

[quote]Hendo, let's see what advice your good lady's company are passing on concerning the laws. Our mairie told us that if permission was granted then a mobile home could be installed as a habitation for...[/quote]

Hi Teamedup,

Maybe you should have made the last comment known prior to your other statements, this way people would have understood your views.

For many of us a mobile home (on a site) is the first opportunity & most practical way of realising a dream at a younger age. When retirement comes a more permanent dwelling may well be sort. We have as much right to realising our dream as anyone else.

I will be more than happy to help anyone else, who through a mobile home, will enable them to make the first steps earlier.

I too would also be upset if a scruffy mobile home was sited in a field next to a property I owned for a long period of time. But they are not all scruffy & in most case are there for a purpose which would in time benefit the locality. That is unless run down barn's & properties are what we wish to see.

Marc

Marc, my first post said :-

As usual I see this sort of post about mobile homes or caravans and wonder how so many people can get permission to place such a thing on their land as a habitation. IF we were granted permission around here, for we would have to apply for permission, it would only be given for three months.

So this had nothing to do with your post about getting a place on a site, which is the proper place to have a mobile home or caravan. I have nothing against sites. We have a caravan site in our village, there are quite a few around here. And we often have camping holidays. What you wouldn't have the right to do is place a mobile home on your land just like that, because you decided to do it, that is not your right.

In fact I was restrained in my first post really, it was quite gentle considering. I would like Hendo to post the laws if his good lady can get hold of them. I could ofcourse post them too and people could actually look them up.

And benson, caravans come under the same law, well just according to our Mairie they do. Around here we would not be able to have a caravan as a habitation for more than three months either.  As I said, we rented. And unless these permanent mobile homes come under the legislation and the restrictions of this legislation, then they are not legally placed either.

We are talking about France here and foreigners coming here and doing n'importer quoi. The nod and the wink of the maire is not the law here. And if people cannot afford to come and live here within the law, well maybe they should not be coming at all.

Respect has been mentioned a lot this week on the news. Well my belief is that we foreigners should respect the laws of the country we have moved to. I don't really care what the indiginous population do, that is up to them. Here is a page from one of the main manufacturers of mobile homes in France under their legal heading.

http://www.irm-sa.fr/particuliers/legislation.php 

ll Conditions d'installation, paragraph 2. It is all there.

It also states that these are considered as a caravan.

And yes I know about the unauthorised sites in the UK. So what, this is about France. I might be bothered about such things in the UK when I move back.

[quote]And if people cannot afford to come and live here within the law, well maybe they should not be coming at all. I do not know of a single person in life who has not at some point in time, bent the ...[/quote]

Hear Hear Julz,

Very well put across

Julz, Just what sort of audience did you anticipate you would be getting on this public message board when you very boldy slammed all that you see as bad in the UK and all in  big writing.

Were we all supposed to be happily nodding  in total agreement, saying YES, you get out whilst you can.

So because your implicataion was that these problems hold some UK exclusivity, I disagreed, to be told that I am ignorant of the UK.   I have a very great interest in where I live and that means I know a lot about France and I know that what you are running away from can very easily be found here too. This may come as a surprise but I know what goes on in the UK. Much of life is rotten, lousy and sad in both the UK and France but I would rather be in either of them than in Canada, but that is just me.

AND for all you think it was  me who was being antagonistic and condescending,  devine what I thought you were being, AND in big writing.

However, you are right, I don't like the expat's who come here and do n'importer quoi. A backlash will happen one day and I just hope I am not here when it does. 

And I'm finished now. Other posters I'm sure will tell you exactly what you want to hear will be far better suited to reply to you than I ever will. I don't do rosey.

Did anyone see the programme last night on Channel 6 CAPITAL which dealt with this issue - mobile homes. Some of the segment was shot in IRM and the rest in a region of SW France I think. The fact that Mobile homes are being used as primary habitation for extended periods was the topic being examined.

I found it to be rather interesting that the Mayor of this area seemed to think that it was the single issue which 'spoilt' the 'most beautiful region in France'.

The number of loopholes in the law seem to be endless. I guess that this particular law is a toothless tiger.

Andrew

'And if people cannot afford to come and live here within the law, well maybe they should not be coming at all.'

Teamed up

You may not be posting but i'm sure your still watching!!

I do hope this remark was not directed at me and my family personally.  Although I am offended by it.

Me and my family moved to France 2 years ago for many many reasons. 

Due to the sale of our property in the UK we were able to finance the purchase of our barn outright and we did rent a property for the first 8 months. 

My husband is a qualified french registered artisan and has as much disrespect for people working on the black as you.

We are not in a position financially to rent anymore as all of our hard earned money is needed to finance our renovation.

We have no intention to live outside of the law.

What about French people who do this, should they not be here either?

I appreciate all comments and opinions as they may well point out things which may have otherwise been overlooked.

Can a mobile home be sited on private land but only habited for 3 months at a time??  This way we could live in the barn during summer and retire to the mobile home for 3 months during winter?  I know you will probably consider this to be bending the rules which is why i'm asking.

Hendo

we really are just looking for a very cheap second hand mobile home as hopefully this will be the last year we need this type of accommodation  Its the transportation side of things we need to look at.

I ā€“ DEFINITION Dā€™UNE RESIDENCE MOBILE (MOBILE HOME)

- Selon la norme NF EN 1647 (DĆ©c. 98), la rĆ©sidence mobile (mobile home) est un vĆ©hicule habitable de loisirs transportable, qui ne satisfait pas aux exigences pour la construction ou lā€™utilisation de vĆ©hicules routiers, qui conserve ses moyens de mobilitĆ© et qui est destinĆ© Ć  une occupation temporaire ou saisonniĆØre et donc pas une rĆ©sidence principale permanente.

- Comme il est assimilĆ©e Ć  une caravane dā€™aprĆØs la circulaire du 29 fĆ©vrier 1988 Ć©manant du MinistĆØre de lā€™Equipement et des Transports, le mobile home doit conserver en permanence ses moyens de mobilitĆ© (roues et timons) afin de pouvoir quitter son emplacement Ć  tout moment et sans dĆ©lai par simple traction par lā€™un de ses cĆ“tĆ©s.

- Vous ne pouvez pas amĆ©nager votre habitation saisonniĆØre dā€™une terrasse en bĆ©ton, dā€™une vĆ©randa en parpaings ou autre installation en Ā« dur Ā» (clĆ“ture, abris de jardin) si cela remet en cause la mobilitĆ© de votre rĆ©sidence. Seuls les terrasses et les auvents dĆ©montables, qui nā€™entravent pas cette facultĆ© Ć  se mouvoir sont autorisĆ©s.

- Votre rĆ©sidence mobile doit ĆŖtre posĆ©e sur cales non fixĆ©es au sol et peut ĆŖtre stabilisĆ©e par des piquets, ou moyens similaires, pouvant ĆŖtre retirĆ©s rapidement, ou stabilisĆ©s par des vĆ©rins.

- Les raccordements des rĆ©sidences mobiles aux rĆ©seaux dā€™alimentation en eau, dā€™Ć©vacuation des eaux, dā€™Ć©lectricitĆ©, de gaz, de tĆ©lĆ©phone, de tĆ©lĆ©vision et autres rĆ©seaux similaires doivent sā€™effectuer conformĆ©ment aux rĆØglements, normes ou rĆØgles de lā€™art applicables en vigueur. Ils ne font pas perdre son caractĆØre de mobilitĆ© Ć  la rĆ©sidence mobile sā€™ils sont facilement dĆ©montables.

- La rĆ©sidence mobile ne doit pas ĆŖtre confondue avec les Habitations LĆ©gĆØres de Loisirs (HLL), terme gĆ©nĆ©rique dĆ©signant des hĆ©bergements sans fondations, dĆ©montables, tels que les chalets ou bungalows. En effet, la lĆ©gislation sur les HLL est diffĆ©rente et plus contraignante que celle des rĆ©sidences mobiles.

II ā€“ CONDITIONS Dā€™INSTALLATION

- La rĆ©glementation actuelle prĆ©voit que votre rĆ©sidence mobile soit installĆ©e sur un camping ou un Parc RĆ©sidentiel de Loisirs (PRL). Dans lā€™Ć©tat actuel de la lĆ©gislation, la rĆ©sidence mobile nā€™est alors pas assujettie au permis de construire tant que sa superficie ne dĆ©passe pas 40 m2 et quā€™elle conserve ses moyens de mobilitĆ©. Fiscalement, en tant que propriĆ©taire dā€™un mobile home, vous ne devriez pas payer de taxe dā€™habitation mĆŖme sā€™il y a un branchement EDF ou autre. Toutefois, la rĆ©sidence mobile est soumise Ć  la taxe de sĆ©jour appliquĆ©e aux touristes (quelques euros par jour).

- Si vous souhaitez installer votre rĆ©sidence mobile en terrain privĆ©, vous devez obligatoirement demander une autorisation Ć  votre mairie. Selon les cas, certaines mairies dĆ©livrent une autorisation de stationnement pour une durĆ©e de 3 mois maximum, exigent une demande de permis de construire, soumettent lā€™installation aux impositions locales ou trĆØs souvent vous refusent catĆ©goriquement lā€™installation. De plus, mĆŖme muni dā€™un droit dā€™implantation de la mairie, les services de la DDE (Direction DĆ©partementale de lā€™Equipement) peuvent remettre en cause Ć  tout moment votre installation car lā€™accord de votre mairie nā€™est pas une dĆ©rogation par rapport Ć  la rĆ©glementation en vigueur.

-Pour ces raisons, il vous est vivement recommandĆ© dā€™installer votre rĆ©sidence mobile sur un terrain de camping ou un parc rĆ©sidentiel de loisirs, seuls endroits oĆ¹ la rĆ©glementation en vigueur le permet.

III ā€“ CONTRAT DE LOCATION DU TERRAIN

- Avant dā€™acquĆ©rir une rĆ©sidence mobile, il vous faut trouver un terrain oĆ¹ lā€™installer et rĆ©diger avec le propriĆ©taire du camping ou du parc rĆ©sidentiel de loisirs, un contrat de location . Celui-ci stipule que la location est consentie Ć  titre temporaire et Ć  titre de loisir uniquement. Nā€™oubliez pas que vous nā€™ĆŖtes que le locataire de lā€™emplacement sur lequel vous ĆŖtes installĆ© : votre contrat est tacitement reconduit mais peut toutefois faire lā€™objet dā€™une renĆ©gociation chaque annĆ©e. Le propriĆ©taire du terrain met Ć  votre disposition les diverses installations de son Ć©tablissement, en Ć©change, vous devez vous acquitter des charges (redevance dā€™occupation, eau, gaz, Ć©lectricitĆ©, etc.) et assurer votre mobile home.

- Le mobile home est gĆ©nĆ©ralement considĆ©rĆ© comme une caravane par lā€™assureur, trajets routiers exceptĆ©s. Si celui-ci ne dispose pas de contrat Ā« caravane Ā», il peut vous proposer un contrat de type Ā« habitation individuelle Ā». Si vous rencontrez des difficultĆ©s Ć  trouver une assurance spĆ©cifique, la FĆ©dĆ©ration franƧaise de camping et de caravaning propose des solutions adaptĆ©es Ć  ses adhĆ©rents (FFCC : 78, rue de Rivoli, 75004 PARIS. TĆ©l : 01.42.72.84.08)

IV ā€“ SURFACE DE VOTRE RESIDENCE MOBILE ET DE VOTRE TERRAIN

- Selon la norme concernant le coefficient dā€™occupation du sol (COS), sur un terrain de camping ou un parc rĆ©sidentiel de loisirs (PRL), la surface de votre rĆ©sidence mobile ne doit pas excĆ©der 30% de la superficie de lā€™emplacement oĆ¹ elle est installĆ©e. Le COS prend non seulement en compte la rĆ©sidence mobile mais aussi les installations attenantes comme un auvent, un abri de jardin ou une terrasse de plus de 60 cm de haut (les terrasses font gĆ©nĆ©ralement 40 cm de haut pour ĆŖtre Ć  hauteur du seuil de porte).

- Camping :

- Dans un camping, les emplacements accordĆ©s aux mobile homes ne sont pas nĆ©cessairement plus grands que ceux des caravanes. Ils doivent simplement respecter les normes en vigueur avec une moyenne de superficie des emplacements de 90 mĀ² en * et **, de 95 mĀ² en ***, et de 100 mĀ² en ****, avec une superficie minimale de 70 mĀ² en * et **, et de 80 mĀ² en *** et ****. Cela dit, les emplacements rĆ©sidentiels dĆ©passent souvent la moyenne exigĆ©e.

- Sur un terrain de camping ****, si vous avez un emplacement moyen de 100 mĀ², votre rĆ©sidence mobile ne doit pas dĆ©passer 30 mĀ². Si vous souhaitez installer une rĆ©sidence mobile de 40 mĀ², il vous faut demander une parcelle de minimum 135 mĀ².

- Parc RĆ©sidentiel de Loisirs (PRL) :

- Le parc rĆ©sidentiel de loisirs est considĆ©rĆ© comme un hĆ©bergement intermĆ©diaire entre le camping et la multipropriĆ©tĆ© de tourisme. On peut y acheter un emplacement ā€“ ce qui nā€™est pas possible dans un camping ā€“ ou le louer pour une durĆ©e dĆ©terminĆ©e. Lā€™espace consenti aux mobile homes y est Ć©galement plus important que dans un camping, avec une superficie moyenne de 200 mĀ² par emplacement.

V ā€“ TRANSPORT, CALAGE ET RACCORDEMENT

- Le transport de votre rĆ©sidence mobile doit obligatoirement sā€™effectuer par un convoi exceptionnel. Lā€™opĆ©ration est donc relativement coĆ»teuse, son montant pouvant grandement varier selon la distance Ć  parcourir (2,3 Ć  4,6 ā‚¬ du kilomĆØtre selon le type de convoi hors gabarit). Quant Ć  lā€™installation (calage, branchements), elle a elle aussi un coĆ»t qui peut varier de 533 Ć  1525 ā‚¬ selon lā€™accessibilitĆ© du terrain, parfois plus si un grutage est nĆ©cessaire.

- Compte tenu de tous ces Ā« postes budgĆ©taires Ā», prĆ©fĆ©rez donc les solutions dā€™achat Ā« tout compris, livrĆ© et installĆ© Ā».

- Nā€™oubliez pas que le calage doit ĆŖtre fait de faƧon prĆ©cise pour la bonne ouverture des portes de votre rĆ©sidence mobile. De plus, le calage et le raccordement sont sous la responsabilitĆ© de la personne lā€™effectuant, et nā€™interviennent pas dans la garantie du constructeur de votre rĆ©sidence mobile.

Les distributeurs des rĆ©sidences mobiles IRM (coordonnĆ©es sur ce site, rubrique Ā« rĆ©seau de vente Ā») sont en mesure de vous proposer un emplacement sur diffĆ©rents campings de leur rĆ©gion, un grand choix de rĆ©sidences mobiles IRM, la possibilitĆ© de vous le transporter et de vous lā€™installer Ā« clĆ© en main Ā».

Pour tout renseignement complĆ©mentaire, nā€™hĆ©sitez pas Ć  les contacter.

These are the regs according to the biggest manufacturer. It applies to caravans too. It is all

TU, I back you 100% and if folks can`t or won`t abide by the rules well ,thats their problem afterwards.

Same goes for anything in life, some of the folks get all of the blame and some get away scot free......depending on who interpets the rule and who is involved.

Mrs O