Tipping the removal men?

daffie

We did tip ours and I made lunch, drinks for them for the days which they were working in the house - while I had a kettle!  Funnily enough I popped out and when I came back the kettle had been packed - I mentioned that I was unable to make tea/coffee without it and hey presto, it was back on the kitchen work surface within 10 minutes.

Getting back to the question - we tipped 150 euro's to the removal chaps and 150 euro's to the delivery guys (there were 5 in each team and they worked for 1 1/2 days on each occassion).  HOWEVER our's was a transfer, so the OH"s company picked up the 'WHOPPING' moving bill

Tipping. Situation remains as confusing as ever - wherever you are.

The question is best directed at the employers, but still not easily done. If they are paying proper wages, then tips for anything should be unnecessary unless some exceptional service has been provided.

But in the real world, without tips a lot of jobs would not be viable. If the employer assumes his staff's income will be supplemented by tips and pays them accordingly, it's pretty tough on the employee if you don't tip them. And before you say it's not up to you to supplement poor wages, consider how the job was priced - employment costs will have been factored in.  

Why stop with removal men - how about the ladies in the bread shop, post office, Leclerc etc, after all they are doing what they are paid for. And of course the notaire and estate agent who sold you the house in France and the estate agent who sold yr house in England. The list is endless.

John

not

Thank you for your responses .. areal mix bag!

I would not compare service industry with Monsieur Notaire .. mainly because of their huge income differentials. though I may give the English Soliciter here avery good bottle of Margaux for her exceptional  and swift service.....I think its called "an appreciation of thanks" ..So if the hairdresser cuts and styles my hair very well..... I,m happy to give her a fiver.Like wise ,, if the removal men work hard , as they usually do ,, I do feel they should benefit from my appreciation ..as I do acknowledge that its the company that will make the money ,, not the men doing the hard graft   . So the question begs about how much ??do I give them. 

I do tip, but only where I feel the service I have received is exceptional and goes beyond what you could normally expect. This is normally in restaurants and, depending on how much of the red stuff I have consumed, is in the range of 5 to 10%. Hope that gives you a guide but at the end of the day it's a pretty subjective issue.

Benjamin

Benjamin,  just wonder if you are now on the Red stuff because only a few hours ago you said :

"Nothing, and let's not go down the route that they're low paid or else you'll be tipping the lollipop lady next every time she sees your kids across the road."

I think provided you get good and helpful service then tipping removal men is right, I would apply this only to the men that deliver to your new property.

Baz

"I am quite sure the notaire can survive without a tip"

As of course should the removal men. And if they can't I suggest that they retrain as notaires.

"I think provided you get good and helpful service then tipping removal men is right, I would apply this only to the men that deliver to your new property."

But am I not paying for good and helpful service anyway ?

John

not

I did tip the removal men who brought our small amount of goods from where they were stored in the UK, mainly because they were so careful and so cheerful even though it was 37 deg C that day, but also because they had waited at some roundabout near Chesterfield following a mobile phone call whilst our storer (different firm) rushed up in his van with our washing machine, which he had forgotten to put out for collection with our other stuff.

Sounds like something out of a Ronnie Barker sketch but because of the splendid attitude of the team from the International removers it was all OK - and nothing damaged  by either firm involved so I was very happy. It was not a large tip but it was gratefully received.

Sue

"retrain as notaires"

I thought we were talking about the real world.

There are a lot of people out there working for a pittance. Waitresses, for example, who would take home nothing if not for the tips. But of course they should all be notaires instead. Bet they hadn't thought of that.

Don't tip the removal men anything unless it's a direct house to house move and you know all your stuff has been delivered to the new house.  Our goods and chattels were in storage for six months, delivered by a different company in the Britannia group and after three years I've definitely come to the conclusion that ther the Christmas decorations and various items of  expensive and treasured china ended up in Brussels, which was the removal lorrys' next stop.  We did manage to retrieve our bikes from the storage depot in Stafford six months after the move. 

In retrospect I wish we'd booked a wagon to do the removal as a back load to Europe and I should have checked every item on the inventory at the furniture depositery myself.