Eurotunnel

Jc

The recent rough weather in the channel has got me thinking. If say Speedferries were unable to sail and I wanted to just turn up and go by car at the Tunnel what would the fare be? The website proudly tells me how low they can go, but it gives no idea of how high - does anybody know? Ideally it would be good to know the cost each way, but I suppose I'm more interested in Calais - Folkestone. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it would help pay off a proportion of their debt. 

All you need to do is to go into the Eurotunnel site and make a dummy booking. In order to qualify for a cheap fare, a return journey is required and that is dependent on the length of stay. In your senario of just turning up with no pre booking for a one way journey you would be looking at around £127. Unfortunately, Speedferries have no transfer arrangements  if their sailings are cancelled and that is when it becomes very expensive unlike the other carriers who have transfer agreements.

Baz

Thanks for the quick response. As I said, the website doesn't answer the question and I didn't ever want to be put in the position of queuing for ages at the tunnel and then deciding the fare was too much! Can you turn around at the check-in? 

If so, a night in Boulogne with a good meal followed by the next day's Speedferries sailing could work out OK too.

Anyway, depending on pressures to get back to UK, although £127 is a lot, it isn't the end of the world as we have saved that many times over as Speedferries regulars.

[quote user="Jc"]There's also P&O/SeaFrance a few miles up the coast but I know a lot of people hate them.[/quote]

JC. I did not quote ferry prices as the question refered to bad weather in the Channel and I assumed that Eurotunnel would be the only alternative. However, current same day single fares late afternoon with Seafrance are £50 and P&O are £70, no wonder Eurotunnel cannot get fill their trains.

Baz

If you go to the Eurotunnel website you can book 10 crossings for £390 (£39 each way) to be used any time of year

the only restrictions are travel out after 3:00pm and return before 3:00pm any day and any length of stay.

I'm on my second set, if you arrive earlier they always put you on the next available train.

it's a very good deal

Ray

[quote user="Nearly Retired"]

"Good deal" ...er......IMHO.....no!

I'm still working my way through a batch of Speedferries £25 each way tickets. I can travel anytime during the day - especially when they have a sailing!

[/quote]

You pay as much as £25 each way?

If you buy a 10 ticket voucher, you can travel for £21 each way at any time, for any duration. No surcharges either.