Age 70 expiry of English driving licence - renew English one or get a new French one?

Moriarty

I'd welcome advice about this.  We are moving to France in the autumn and and, in March of 2008, my husband will turn 70 (it's a shock to us both, he neither looks nor acts his age but the birth certificate doesn't lie!).  His UK driving licence will expire then and he will need to get a doctor's certificate to renew it for three years - we're confident he'll pass this check as he's in good health and he also has a clean UK licence.   However, what are the regulations surrounding French licences?  Might it be better if he applies for a French one and what are the regulations on age? 

We could come back to the UK in March to get our doctor's certificate and renew using our old UK address, where the post would be redirected to our French address (perhaps not an entirely legal way of doing it but much easier to facilitate).  Or,if we decide to get a French licence, what is the procedure and how long does it last?  After age 70, would he be given a licence that lasted longer than three years?

We don't want to have too long a period when he doesn't have a licence so any advice or tips or experiences that you can tell us will be very very welcome.

Thanks, everyone.

[quote user="Moriarty"]

I'd welcome advice about this.  We are moving to France in the autumn and and, in March of 2008, my husband will turn 70 (it's a shock to us both, he neither looks nor acts his age but the birth certificate doesn't lie!).  His UK driving licence will expire then and he will need to get a doctor's certificate to renew it for three years - we're confident he'll pass this check as he's in good health and he also has a clean UK licence. [/quote]

If your husband as you state is in good health then why would he need a medical certificate. Renewing a standard UK licence at 70 does not require a medical certificate. However, if you check via search you will find good reasons to change to a French licence including no renewals are required at 70. One other point it is illegally to apply for a UK licence if you are not resident in the UK.

Barry

Just to add the point that he should exchange the UK licence before it expires, otherwise he'll have to apply to the DVLA for an attestation of his driving entitlements.

He will have to visit his prefecture and fill in a demande d'échange de permis de conduire and hand over his UK licence and two passport sized photographs.  He will also have to produce his passport and a utility bill as proof of address.  Some (but not all) prefectures may make a small charge for this.

many thanks for your useful - and very quick! - replies.  As soon as we get to France we'll trot along and get him a French licence.

Just as a funny aside - we were stopped for speeding on the motorway, 15km above the limit.  Gendarme asked for husband's licence and he produced the old (green) one.  "Where is the photograph" demanded our gendarme and we explained that this didn't have one.  "So where is his date of birth written?" he queried and, again, I had to point out that the birthday is encoded in one of the boxes.  Then, alarmingly, the gendarme unfolded the licence and explained that hubby was forbidden to drive, as he had no points on his licence and we must get out of the car immediately!  Where are the points?  I explained that in the UK you start a clean licence with no points, and he debated that - no - you must automatically have 12 points on!  He looked very sceptical when I told him that my husband's licence was clean and legal, and he radioed into his HQ.  After a long discussion with his superiors and, after examining our passport (and fining us 40 euros) he let us go. 

I'd have thought that motorway gendarmes were a little more familiar with UK licences but it was an interesting lesson for us both (and expensive for us!).

[quote]He will also have to produce his passport and a utility bill as proof of address.[SD][/quote]

Not necessarily (best be prepared though) - I was not asked for either at the Prefecture in Rodez (but they did ask for a stamped addressed envelope - to send the licence when ready - they don't do them on the spot) and they need BOTH bits of the UK licence (card & paper).

If you have licence category (E)B then you may tow a caravan without restriction on age.  The normal requirements for medicals apply - every five years up till age 60, then every two years up till age 75, then every year after that.

Don't worry, Sid - you've a couple years to go.... [:P]

Hi vinrouge,

Do you mean to change your UK licence to a French one? It's best to ask at your local prefecture. A year ago I asked for the forms to change mine and they gave me a list (in english) of all things required - this included an official translation of my UK licence, together with the original. I never got round to it and mislaid the forms - when I went in this week having decided I should get round to it, they told me all I need to supply are my UK licence, a SAE, 2 photos and a photocopy of ID (I gave them a copy of my UK passport). So, it seems to boil down to what the local policieses are at the time!

I was amazed to find the new licence waiting for me when I got home today - I applied on Tuesday and today is Saturday. She told me at least 15 days. They can't have much on at the moment!

Jane

Hi Sunday Driver,

You're right, of course. The form that was given to me was written in English and specifically stated that all 'English' licences would need a translation (husband would have been fine, he's scottish!). I think they probably realised afterwards that this wasn't the case and subsequently changed their policy. It just goes to show it's always worth querying (or in my case, being lazy and trying again a year later!), or perhaps just that you are tied to your local prefecture and whatever they deem to be the current requirements...

Jane

Another point of information that I have not seen given, is that when you hand over your driving licence, you are given a sheet of paper advising that your driving licence has been applied for, just incase you are stopped by police etc.,

Les Favets