Drive from Bolougne to Deux Sevres

Ejc

Hi,

We usually take a longer overnight crossing to Caen / st Malo - but the pennies are very tight at the moment and we're wondering about a speed ferry crossing to Bolougne and were wondering about the drive - we know it will be around 6 - 7 hours, but the crossing is so cheap we're wondering about doing this - anyone any experience on this drive down at all?? 

We live in St Varent in the north of D-S and my husband recently did

the trip to UK and back twice in 2 weeks using Speedferries.  He

reckons on between five and five and a half hours (without stops) if

you use the new A28 which has made the trip a lot quicker.  He did

have a problem in Rouen on the first trip but Sunday Driver sorted him

out with a good way through Rouen -

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/730031/ShowPost.aspx

which worked fine.   One thing to bear in mind - particularly

if money is a bit tight is the cost of tolls - a bit over 60 euros for

a return trip.  And of course its much cheaper to top up with fuel

at a supermarket off the motorway - eg Leclerc at Boulogne as you join

the A16 (first right at the roundabout when you get off the ferry).

Whereabouts in Deux-Sèvres are you based?

We have a holiday home near Bressuire. Every time we drive, we go this route. However, because we have a five hour drive to Dover we stop overnight just the other side of Rouen. Return journey we go straight to Boulonge. Last time we did this, it was  5 1/2 hrs drive but with comfort breaks etc.  was about 6 hours.

We will be there this Thursday but this time we are flying to Nantes. Hope the weather improves.............

I agree, weather near to Parthenay has been in the 30s and sunny, mind you we had mist until lunch time, but I managed to cut 3 acres of grass this afternoon as it had all dried up.

As for the driving, I always do Boulogne/Dover to home and it takes 5.5 hours with a fuel stop, but bank on 6 to be safe.

Thanks for the feedback - we'll do the speed ferry short route - and drive down, with 2 of us swapping over it shouldn't be too bade and over-all even with the fuel / toll costs is cheaper than BF to Caen.

We're based just outside Bressuire and will be moving across permenantly in January and can't wait....

• 1 month later...

Hi Ejc

My wife & I use speedferries and drive to Deux Sevre regulary. The crossing is quick & effecient but no frills but fantastic value for money. The drive to Deux Sevre is virtually all motorway with the exception of Rouen and a little bit at the end. Quite a bit is toll road but it is  worth paying for a quick safe trip. The best time I have done, keeping to the speed limits and only one stop, is 6 hours and 30 minutes. Boring drive but well worth the effort.

Good luck

It's about a six hour drive from Boulogne via Rouen and the autoroute, with a coffee stop on the way at Dentelle d'Alencon services.  At Le Mans follow directions for Angers/Nantes then in Angers pick up the signs for Cholet. Come off the autoroute at Cholet Nord by the Centre Commercial. 

When you pass Lac du Nay, you know you're home...[:D]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Come off the autoroute at Cholet North by the Centre Commercial.  When you pass Lac du Nay, you know you're home...[:D]

[/quote]

No, SD, in our case you know you've gone much too far, have to turn around and head back to Alençon.

Transmanche ferries  want to invest in a)towels and soap for the cabin showers,  b)a better extraction system for the galley.A month ago we all smelled like a chinese takeaway,and we didnt use the eating room. c)train the staff in manners and communication skills.We again had confusion at Newhaven as to whether the ferry(8am) had already sailed,world war 3 had started,"technical" problems,staff problems,seaproblems,etc.As it was,the ferry was 3 hours late in leaving Newhaven.No explanation from anyone.  Maude