Toll charges (doofah rip off??)

briwy

We have just got our bank statement which has the peage charges on from our Easter week trip.

We have a peage doofah (which is great) but I cannot see where the charges are coming from.

Our route was from Boulogne to our place at Cauterets in the Pyrenees via Rouen, Le Mans and Bordeaux.

The Michelin route planner gives a toll charge for this route of  46.1 Euros.

The autoroutes.fr site gives a total of 27.5 Boulogne to Le Mans and 40.7 Euros Le Mans to Cauterets. Has to be done in stages as it plots through Paris and wont accept vias.

I have been charged a total of 223 Euros by Sanef for the two trips. We did not use any other tolls during our stay.

What is going on here?

Are the calculator sites miles out  (they give differeent ammounts anyway for the same journey) ?

Do we pay more for using a doofah?

Am I being charged for being English?

Do the other autoroute companies charge more for using a Sanef doofah on their roads?

Or is it a rip off?

Has anyone had a similar experience or any explanation please.

Brian

That's very odd. You should get statements from SANEF too, and on these will be itemised what Autoroute you used, on what date and what you were charged.

Were you towing a trailer, or driving a large vehicle?

My SANEF doofer has never charged me more than I would pay at the toll booth, and AFAIK, no other Autoroute company charges an excess.

Worth giving SANEF a ring, or an e-mail and ask for a statement, asap.

I can only confirm that we have always been charged exactly what we expected. There are no "excesses" for being non-French or for using other sections of the autoroute network. The detailed account sent by Sanef should reveal all , but in your case I would contact them immediately to ask for an explanation.

Alistair

No trailer and just a normal family car.

Yes we do get statements from Sanef but I guess they come monthly so not arrived yet. 

This is the first time Ive noticed this so it may just be a mess up of some sort.

The bill will show the charge for each section. It is worth checking that all the items match the Michelin figures. What can happen is that you are not clocked off as you leave the motorway, so they then charge you the maximum for the direction you were heading. This happened to us once when the barrier failed to open and we had to be manually let out. A quick email and the amount was refunded the following month.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

All sorted now, seems the bank messed up somehow.

Anyway, happy ending, have ended up paying what I thought it should be.

Re downloading the statements how do I set this up.

I have tried filling in the registration form to the best of my ability with my account number and the number  of the last statement but have had no reply from Sanef .

I am missing a password still.

Any advice please

Thanks

Brian