chainsaws and customs...

Nicos

Just wondered if we can take the chainsaw over to France and bring it back without it being confiscated as a dangerous weapon??

Would it be considered as much as a threat on a ferry as a penknife would be on a plane??? [:-))]

(......bearing in mind that the house rabbit is not allowed on the ferry incase he escapes and eats all the wood!!![blink]....)

We've got a bit of gardening we'd like to sort out and it seems silly to hire one when we have a decent chainsaw in the UK.

Any advice/experiences??

It's generally only frowned upon if you try to take it into the airplane cabin or the restaurant on the boat.

However, the guys at the UK end of the tunnel are renonwned for asking the bleedin' obvious " So what's this for ,Sir "

They won't stop you taking it though

In the unlikely event of someone reading this and thinking of bringing one over by air can I just add - don't, or at least check with the airline first.  Most airlines prohibit the carriage of any device containing an internal combustion engine (supposedly due to the risk of combustion due to residual fuel in the tank).   

You should certainly drain the fuel if taking any engine-powered tools on a ferry. They might not check (see below) but I wouldn't risk having to do this on the quay-side - they will almost certainly send you out of the port to do it.

What surprised me was they looked through the glove compartment, etc in case I was hiding a pen-knife (they specifically asked me if I had a pen-knife) but took little notice of the power tools, chain-saw, hedge trimmer, etc and, perhaps more to the point (no pun intended), a four foot axe, various hand-saws and a box of chisels.