Picture frames in hand luggage..

I think getting these items through will just be a matter of luck.  As far as I'm aware glass is not specifically banned but if the screeners decide it's not going through then that's it...Of course there's  plenty of glass available once you are airside (duty free, etc) but often logic has nothing to do with airport security. 

IMHO if the picture's are of any value to you and they have to travel I would check them in, suitably packaged, as hold baggage. 

you shouldn't have a problem.

I phoned airport to ask if I could bring cocktail glasses through security and they said no problem, you can buy it the other side so you can bring it through.

Also, I saw the very same thing being taken through a week or two ago.

newbiee: you may be right but the BAA security guidlines ( the ones the operators should be working to ) are quite clear in stating that most sharp edged items are banned.   

Joidivie: if you are feeling lucky and are not emotionally/financially attached to said frames then it might be worth having a go with them in handbaggage ( I suspect newbiee is right and you will get them through) , but if the operator on the day deems them as being "sharp edged" you will  loose them.  It's your call.

The pictures could be taped up before leaving.. I'm even toyng with removing the glass and having it cut when I get to France..

It really is anyone's guess what gets through, although Stansted seem the most sensible (Beware though, they are now asking what airline you are on before you get to the screening area - in the past I've been able to carry a very small laptop case separately as a 'handbag' - but they now insist on ONE item only)

Carcassonne are the least consistent.. A few months ago I had a jar of honey (hard set Chestnut honey - yum) which got picked up, but after a convivial discussion with staff, I got it through on the premise that "it was such a good honey that it would be a shame to waste it"  ;o)

A clutch for a 2CV (in a box) once also initially got stopped - a heavy item therefore a potential weapon. Again after some negotiation and allowing the guy to put a small piece of Sellotape over the opening of the box somehow made the 'weapon' no longer dangerous!

Another time though I did have to check in a small hand jigsaw?? I intentionally brought NO blades with me..

Re. the pictures, maybe not going to risk it. A tip - I have recently been using DHL to send a box of posessions over to France - around 70x60x50cm and up to 29kg costs £21+ vat and takes 5 days. A lot easier as I use public transports at both ends and check in baggage is a complete pain!

There is absolutely no way of telling what will get through and what will not.

I went through Frankfurt not so long ago, through the first security no trouble.  Got to the second check point just before the gate and they discovered I had in my bag a 9/16 midget spanner.  Open end one side, ring spanner the other about 4 inches long.  Not a sharp edge on it.

It got put in the bin. [:@] against my protestations of "what the f... do you think I'm going to do - take the plane apart whilst I'm sitting there???"

[:D]