Petrol Station Locations/Opening Times

janjjr

Hi,

Can anyone help regarding the location of petrol stations on non motorway roads in France?  We will be travelling overnight Saturday into Sunday from Roscoff to Limoges via Angers.  As this will be on a motorbike we will need to fill up roughly every 170 miles.  We know we can get to Rennes on a tank full, but after that, as it's early hours on Sunday, we are not sure about any petrol stations on the rest of the route and whether they are open on Sundays.

Any help gratefully received!

So much depends upon your payment method.  If you have a French card, any supermarket will sell fuel from machines, 24/7.  Many now accept UK cards, but many do not - it's a total lottery.  A lot of small supermarkets are open on Sundays (ours, for instance from 09.30 - 12.30).

Having said that, I can tell you for sure that Intermarche at St Cosme en Vairais takes UK credit and debit cards - and is roughly on your route.

I think its worth noting Coops that the supermarket being open does not mean the petrol station kiosk for cash sales is open. 

A lot of Carrefour and Le Clerc  petrol stations which are often just off the Autoroutes, Brive A20, Issoire A75, Gaillac A68 spring to mind, all have different and reduced opening hours to the main store, the petrol station kiosks closing much earlier than the stores.

If you don't have a credit card or French bank card assume that off the Autoroutes all petrol stations will not be closed on Sunday as most will be.

Well, around here at least Ron, the couple of little supermarkets which are open on Sundays, also have open fuel stations.  But, whatever, it is, as said before, a lottery once you leave the motorways.  Although I suspect this will be less so as the card readers are replaced at the unmanned pumps, and the more modern ones installed - which read European cards.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to go slightly off thread here but I just wanted to confirm that petrol stations on the A16 & A28 are open 24 hours a day?  It's just we arrive on the Eurotunnel at 1am and won't make our final destination without petrol.  Are the stations manned?

Many thanks

Paul.

We stayed overnight in Limoges last Saturday night and filled up Sunday morning at an unmanned Esso station in the town.

I was surprised that the pump took our UK debit card OK and didnt have to use our French bank card.. The machine even had English like the cash machines.

So they are getting changed gradually.  Seems its worth trying them.  1.21 a litre for diesel as opposed to 1.35ish on the motorways.