Flying Ryanair in the next couple of days?

Will

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/news/article5305860.ece

Knock-on effects from problems at Stansted Airport, which have now been sorted, are expected to cause delay and cancellation to Ryanair flights for up to three days. It has just been reported on BBC radio that Ryanair flights to/from airports other than Stansted could be affected by the disruption to a large number of services. Other airlines, which have far fewer flights from this airport, are not thought to be seriously affected.

Oh how I would like to see the cost of the disruption / damaged caused at Stanstead by these demonstrators tallied  up shared out and put onto them by way of an attachment of earnings order ....even if it takes them 20 years of salery deductions to get half of it back .Might just stop others doing it  again if they knew they would have to pay the cost of any financial loss to third parties that their action may cause   Will this lot get the punisnment they deserve ?..   I doubt it ...

Assuming of course that they are or ever become gainfully employed [:'(]

I don't suppose they gave one seconds thought to the danger they were placing those in planes currently heading for Stansted in.

Personally I would have built an even bigger and stronger barricade around them from which they could not escape and left them there for a few days regularly spraying them with cold water [:P]

No doubt that the suffragette movement would also have received little sympathy for the inconvenience they caused - time eventually vindicated their actions to the benefits of women.

How can we be sure that present day direct action by present day young people in the light of apparent government (plus vested interests in the auto and aviation industries) inaction to alleviate the threat of climate change will be seen to be also vindicated. In my late 60s I can be fairly certain I will be unaffected by the coming climate change, but I certainly do worry for my grandchildren's future and hope they won't blame my generation for allowing it to happen.

Brian (again)

[quote user="ErnieY"]Assuming of course that they are or ever become gainfully employed [:'(]

I don't suppose they gave one seconds thought to the danger they were placing those in planes currently heading for Stansted in.

Personally I would have built an even bigger and stronger barricade around them from which they could not escape and left them there for a few days regularly spraying them with cold water [:P]

[/quote]

Let's not get carried away - a lot of people were greatly inconvenienced by the demo but there has been no suggestion that anyone was placed in danger.

And would we really want to live in countries that inflicted such punishments?

I flew into and out of  Stanstead with Ryanair this afternoon enroute from France to Ireland.

As it's an airport I don't usually use, I don't know if the lengthy security queues were normal or not but certainly my flights were on schedule.

[quote user="chrisb"]a lot of people were greatly inconvenienced by the demo but there has been no suggestion that anyone was placed in danger.

And would we really want to live in countries that inflicted such punishments?[/quote]

It might have been minimal but I don't see how you can say that people were not placed in (uneccessary) danger.

All those flights which were due to land at Stansted had to be diverted which meant hurried changes in flight plans, more planes in holding patterns in already cramped airspace, and additional workload for both the pilots the air traffic controllers and ground staff at those airports. You will also have had pilots landing at what may be unfamiliar runways, all of which are circumstances in which errors can be made and therefore elevate the risk.

[quote user="chrisb"]And would we really want to live in countries that inflicted such punishments?

[/quote]You mean we don't [blink] [Www]

I gather the protesters arrived 3 hours before the first flight so any rearranged flight plans etc could have been sorted in no rush, I'd have thought. Also, if there was any cost of the planes diverting to other airports, this 'wasted fuel' has to be offset against the fuel/carbon saved by the cancelled flights (in the protesters' minds anyway)

For cancelled flights read postponed.

People fly because the want or need to get somewhere and if one flight is cancelled they will fly on another tomorrow, the number of bums on seats will be the same. Very few will just go home and not come back and of those who don't many will have chosen to drive to their destination instead thus creating even more pollution.

I wonder how many of the protesters can hold their heads up high and say that they have never flown on an aircraft [blink]

[quote user="darnsarf"]I gather the protesters arrived 3 hours before the first flight so any rearranged flight plans etc could have been sorted in no rush, I'd have thought.[/quote]

Errr ... I don't think so, I'm afraid. Firstly, the airlines and the airport management would have continued normal processing of passengers hoping that the protesters would be removed in time for the first flight. Only once take-off and landing slots started to be missed would they have started to cancel. For aircraft already in the air there would have been no choice but to divert.

Secondly, check-in staff, who are probably not on a system that allows new bookings to be made, will take some considerable time to process say 25 flights times 150 passengers. How long would each transaction would take?

[quote user="darnsarf"]Also, if there was any cost of the planes diverting to other airports, this 'wasted fuel' has to be offset against the fuel/carbon saved by the cancelled flights (in the protesters' minds anyway)[/quote]

And of course there is the fuel wasted in re-positioning empty aircraft.

Regards

Pickles

The bottom line is ..you cant have idiots running loose airside on runways ....those who have sympathy for their cause perhaps have not had to put out the charred remains of passengers with a fire extinguisher as I have at Heathrow  years ago ...you dont forget it